Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This show owns and manages to thread the needle of jokes/BSing, getting the story to move along, and not railroading the players down the GM’s clear intended route.

Only bad part: they keep reminding me that P.O.D. was/is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

NeuroticLich posted:

Hot drat, the last part of the purple worm encounter was intense. I thought for sure Moonshine was toast.

Yeah. I know they've at least said there's not plot armor and that they could roll new characters, but sometimes you come closer to putting your money where your mouth is than others.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I was one of the 30 or so people who paid for SeeSo. RIP.

Super loving bummed that there's an entire filmed season of Bajllion Dollar Properties that's just in distribution hell and might never see the light of day.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

MBMBAM should get another season even if it does risk a McElroy saturation point.

Yep. The podcast is now a thing I listen to only occasionally and often skip in favor of other podcasts now that I don't routinely take 4+ hour long one-way drives once a month or so, but I would definitely watch the show. My wife doesn't give one single poo poo about the podcast, but she loved the show.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Additionally, the "narrative of the mind" style and skill encounters can work very well in an audio medium. I'm a big nerd who is a dungeon master for an ongoing adventure right now. This is the first one I've done via the internet, and so while I'll prep maps and such or even upload pictures of my sketch notebook, it's decidedly easier to do some stuff simply through description and as a result not rules-lawyer the PCs on whether they're 25 feet from an enemy or 30 feet from an enemy so much.

For a known "they will go in here" area, I have actual dungeon/mapss and such built up kind of the way Caldwell does it, but the players tend to go far off the rails without just trying to gently caress with the DM, so there's a lot of stuff done on the fly where even if I wanted to, I wouldn't have mats and measures and all that poo poo ready to go the way you'll see on physical tabletop games in person.

So with Murph, even though his players are in the room with him, probably pays off to not bother with super technical map poo poo given that the paying audience isn't there to see it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is among my favorite podcasts right now, and decidedly my favorite fictional storytelling/role playing podcast right now.

That said, the name is bad, and I very nearly jumped right out on the first episode when they sang that P.O.D. refrain. I make sure to hop out of the podcast before that happens now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

People like the P.O.D. singing?!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Sure, there might be a million reasons for people not to flip out about it, but have you met podcast listeners who also play D&D? You're gonna get some people who demand that they @ players for doing it wrong.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Plus, as Murph points out, having buff familiar means the familiar becomes a target. Kind of hosed up to target familiars when they're eyes and ears and so on for someone, but when they're a battle-familiar, kind of comes with the territory.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In short rest, they come to discover that technically Emily should not have been permitted to pull that dumb move, had Murph paid better attention to the Monster's abilities/limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I liked TAZ 1 but it did get long in the tooth by the end. Agreed NADDPOD just does the goofy but heartfelt vibe better. Plus, is better at helping players/DMs learn the game and ways to spice things up.

I’ve nowhere near the arc writing ability of Murph, but I think this podcast is a big part of why I can generally eyeball a massive fight and have it be achievable but taxing/dangerous as hell for my players without having to fudge dice.