Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bob Morales posted:

What's the big deal with delaying AirPower? How hard is it to 'tape some charging pads together'?

Apple can’t do anything simple and functional, they have to chintz it up with a stupid form factor and add some lock-in; they refuse to just release something using the established Qi standard, but can’t make it work.

Same situation with the MacPro - they’ve taken multiple years to (not) release a workstation with commodity PC components, which everyone would be fine with, while they look for some way to make it different.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If Apple was less dumb they’d update the Touch mildly and then flog them hard at the education market. There’s a ton of classroom stuff where the iPad gets the crap kicked out of it by Chromebooks but something the size of the Touch would be perfect.

What educational need does what’s effectively a WiFi only smartphone fill? A chromebook is way cheaper, allows typing reports and use of any web based software. I can’t see the comparison.

EpicNemesis posted:

3D Touch is a requirement for me so I can easily move the cursor around while typing. I hate not being able to do this on my iPad.

Hmm - just checking, you know you can do the same thing on iPad by scrolling with 2 fingers on the keyboard right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As a former middle school science teacher and academic adviser who has done curriculum building and “tech based teaching” with a partner who currently teaches high school science and SpEd, I can think of like a million good uses for a small, cheap, WiFi-only smartphone/pocket computer with a robust software ecosystem and lots of sensors and gizmos. Chromebooks are great too and I’ve used them in the classroom extensively but they’re totally different beasts. There are a lot of applications for where something small like a Touch would be super useful. Basically 80% of what Apple is trying to encourage teachers to use the iPad for could be done just as well or, often, much better and more flexibly with something like a modernized iPod Touch.

For starters they can be used to make films and art/multimedia projects in ways that Chromebooks are clunky for. You can network them and use them to do stuff that often requires special equipment- even something as simple as iclicker-style classroom response stuff, and be flexible and creative about it. If Apple wanted to take a blow at TI’s calculator monopoly, they could advertise existing/help make better graphing calculator and science apps. This would be especially cool if they incorporated some VRkit-capable hardware and allowed kids to use them for stuff like data collection or measurement. The same goes for the hardware already there (accelerometer, etc). It would be especially helpful if Apple created an easy application builder for teachers to put together lesson-specific or novel apps for their own use. I feel like there’d be a lot of potential with it.

Also- kind of a digression, but you’d be surprised at the number of (predominantly low income) families that have a bunch of smartphones as the exclusive computing platform in the house. I got many papers and even PowerPoint presentations that were made on phones.

Proprietary, high barrier of entry for apps (including needing a Mac to do anything useful), and really expensive. Every use case you mention just seems like a gimmick.

Chromebook is $200, secure, easy to manage and has access to the web. That should be enough for any sane lessons, online course material, or god forbid actually doing work.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m not at all. I think we all tend to forget that we are not representative of the “average” or “normal” tech user. Remember that the average person has a “well it works so why do anything” mindset regarding OS updates which is why Microsoft does everything they can to shove Windows updates into computers now because they know the average person will never install updates otherwise.

I think he’s baffling by the lovely, confusing graphs rather than the installed %s by version.

• Locked thread