Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

So do bands work on the new Series 4 then?

Also - do people actually buy just the watch itself (no strap). I'd quite like to hang onto my stainless link band when I sell my S2, which would mean either selling it sans band or buying one to go with it.

Also lol @ UK prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I'm not sure selling a Pride band is a strong sign that it "positions itself on the vanguard of social progressivism" any more than people changing their Facebook profile photo temporarily to have a rainbow backdrop are.

As you point out the fact it was removed for Russia shows the limitations of this solidarity begin and end with the financial bottom line.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean according to wikipedia (so caveat emptor) 74% of Russians said gays shouldn't be accepted in society in 2013, an increase from 60% in 2002. In 2007 68% of Russians said being gay was wrong. Crimes against gay people are not considered hate crimes. There was a lot of talk about being gay and the World Cup this year. In 2013 a federal law was passed outlawing gay "propaganda" which is probably defined as "anything I don't like." Considering Tim introduced the rainbow band/face in support of the LGBT community they probably count as propaganda.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is Apple was probably forced to remove it and if not it seems awfully dangerous to flagrantly advertise on your wrist that you're gay or support LGBT rights in a country that hates gays.
Apple could take a stand a not sell their products in Russia if they felt strongly about it? An extreme measure, and they'd take a financial hit, but it seems disingenuous to quietly remove something you're supposedly behind because not removing might make things a bit difficult for you in that country, or eat into your bottom line.

What I guess I'm saying is that Apple's LGBT support is tokenistic because it only extends to where it is safe and financially prudent for them to do so. Apple of all companies, with the market cap they have, have the power to take a real stand.

Also to the wider point of danger - sure it would be dangerous for people to wear a Pride band on their wrist in Russia, or at least more so than most countries, but standing up for what you belief in often is dangerous. You can't stop being LGBT in your essence because your government doesn't agree with it.

I don't really expect Apple to be some kind of vanguard for LGBT rights though. It would be nice if they were, but they clearly aren't that way inclined.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Fair points well made. :)

• Locked thread