Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
:siren:This is a thread for various OPFORs in the Democracy of Arsenals game. If you wish to learn more, click here. If you are an UPRA officer who got lost, close this thread now, this is not for your eyes. :siren:

Gentlemen. I have called you here to my haven because our situation has... changed. And, like lizard, slithering along the hot sand, we must... adapt.

Situation overview

The fools in Alfuego remain... obstinate. And the forces of the sheikh are unwilling to stop pushing from the west, even as Teutonia slowly threatens to engulf Stran. This status quo has served us all -- if poorly. But now, I have learned something far more disturbing.

Trains, rolling in the night, every night, all night. More patrols along the Ful. Sounds of engines revving up in the morning. It appears that the grocery store clerks want to collect the bill. They are coming to kill me, and with me, all of you.

UPRA has now three full, well-equipped divisions lining the banks of the river. We believe we have seen and heard the movements of another. They are massing up men and materiel, and want blood. Blood they shall have.

Since Eastern Aw-Fulia's transport infrastructure is virtually non-existent, our logistics rely on a network of supply depots stacked to the rooftops with provisions and materiel. It may not be the most effective, but it keeps the men in the fight. Do not lose the depots. Destroy them if they would fall into enemy hands. Let them rot in the desert without water or food.

Replacements, as usual, will not reach you deeper in the desert. Battered units will have to return here, and face judgment.

Objectives

We have only one objective: protect our state at all costs. However many of us die, more will take their place.

Our enemies, I believe, are far more sensitive to casualties. Every one of them that falls is a step to our ultimate victory. Make them bleed, and they will cut their losses.

Otherwise, time works to our benefit. Almain soldiers are not suited to fighting in the deep desert, and once summer rolls in in the late December, they will go home. We just need to hold on.

Aside from the depots and Dreblinx, we must also maintain a supply line to Port Maitrechec. We have an infantry brigade forming there, with weapons and men graciously provided by our numerous foreign supporters in exchange for our - admittedly limited - mineral wealth. Losing that connection could threaten our entire existence.

Conversely, if we act fast and seize Alfuego after all, our position will be mightily strengthened. If we can hold it, we'd gain an unassailable position from which to threaten any UPRA attack into the interior, possibly open additional options for resupply, and shorten our front line considerably.

Now, allow me to introduce the Order of Battle.

Own forces

Note: the units show up as 30xRifle or 10xMachine Gun. This is how the game works internally - those are supposed to stand in for larger numbers of soldiers or guns or tanks. I should be able to set them to display larger values while the underlying mechanics remain the same - e.g. have 1xRifle show up as 30xRifle - but a) it may be a good thing for you to see this "raw" and b) I can't get it to work, which I think is a bug and I'm waiting for someone on the Matrix forums to get back to me. In the meantime, well, pretend the numbers are bigger.

This is the Central HQ and its only directly attached formation - the Engineer Regiment. Neither of these are really combat units. The HQ has a number of trucks and horses attached in order to ferry replacements and supplies around. The Engineers are not combat engineers - they're a construction unit. You can use them to fix your logistics by building new supply depots. I would advise against trying to build railway connections. It is safer to be hard to reach.

This, my friends, is your familiar Task Force, and its HQ. An army such as ours has its limitations, and much as we would like this to be equal to a division of one of our neighbours, it is not. They vary greatly and are not particularly well organized. But they are yours, they are what you have. They include some mix of seven to nine of the following:

Our Infantry Regiments come in two most frequently encountered "flavours". They both consist primarily of locals, sturdy and brave fighters who have gracefully accepted our offer to become our brothers in arms, rather than be destroyed. Some have even received more than rudimentary training, and once given a rifle and a knife, have proven proficient. But in other cases we had to supplement them with foreign guests. They also have machine guns, and some regiments have trained cadres of particularly skilled warriors to serve as an advance force.

Rifles are the basic, most baseline unit in the game. They are relatively cheap and plentiful, and can handle themselves on defence. Militias are rifles, but worse in virtually all aspects, in exchange for being much easier to mass. Mercenaries are also like Rifles, but start with more experience. Guerrillas are like infantry, but move faster, are stealthier, and are great at spotting enemies. I also gave them minor bonuses to fighting in the desert. Finally, machine guns are a lot stronger than normal infantry. Every machine gun is easily worth three rifles, maybe even more, since they get extra attacks in combat. The only situation where they are not better than Rifles is when attacking armoured units - but you should probably avoid having rifles do that either.

We also have guerrilla groups, regiment-sized forces composed mostly of those sturdy fighters. They are our special purpose forces. Between stealth and manoeuvrability, they are a formidable threat to any foe. SMGs are regular infantry with a bonus when fighting in difficult terrain - hills, forests, cities - and a penalty when fighting on open ground - plains or deserts.

Most task forces also have cavalry regiments attached. They are breakthrough formations, uniting both with our formidable Awfulian cavalry and whatever tanks we could have salvaged. Cavalry are stronger and more mobile than infantry, but "stack" a little worse. I'll discuss stacking in a later post. Tanks are very strong in open terrain against most enemies, but cost oil to move. Awfulian tanks are salvage and as such you can expect them to perform much worse than comparable tanks of other nations. But you do have a bunch of them ready to go...

We have very little in terms of field artillery. While any of our guns is - after so many months in one workshop or another, where salvage is laboriously turned into cannon - not meaningfully worse than that of our enemies, we can only spare them rarely. Most are currently massed around Alfuego, trying to crack that nut and break through it. In game terms, they can fire from two hexes away. Although they are not very good at actually killing things other than infantry in the open, they do a lot of harm to the units' Readiness scores, which makes it easier to defeat them with your other forces.

:siren: This is a thread for various OPFORs in the Democracy of Arsenals game. If you wish to find out more, click here. If you are an UPRA officer, close this thread immediately, this is not for your eyes. :siren:

For that reason, we supplement our forces with rocket launchers. They're an improvised weapon, a product of many months of experimentation - and they are very effective. We currently lack the means to effectively reload them, however, the launchers tend to crack, bend, or foul after an extended barrage. This is a powerful artillery weapon on a wheeled platform. It can shoot up to two hexes away, but only once - these launchers are one shot, so use them wisely.

Gentlemen, brothers, prepare yourselves. We need to devise a plan to stop those UPRA lackeys. Be resolute in your decisions, and slow to hesitate.

UPRA are currently making their final preparations. You will get a chance to do the same. In the meanwhile, select your commands:

GROUP WEST - composed of two Task Forces defending against Awfulian attacks on the western border. Includes:
- TASK FORCE 1 - two cavalry regiments, two infantry regiments A, three infantry regiments B. Positioned in the northwest.
- TASK FORCE 2 - four infantry regiments B, two guerrilla groups, a cavalry regiment, an artillery regiment. Positioned in the southwest.

GROUP FUL - two task forces charged with guarding the river. One of them is spread out along its course, the other is in reserve.
- TASK FORCE 3 - three infantry regiments A, three infantry regiments B, two guerrilla groups, improvised rocket launchers. Positioned on the river.
- TASK FORCE 4 - two infantry regiments A, a guerrilla group, an artillery regiment, two improvised rocket launcher groups, two cavalry regiments. In reserve.

GROUP ALFUEGO - a task force tasked with securing Alfuego and defending Maitrechec.
- TASK FORCE 5 - three infantry regiments B, two cavalry regiments, two artillery regiments, improvised rocket launchers. Positioned near Alfuego.
- ADDITIONAL BRIGADE: currently forming around Maitrechec. Will consist of three infantry regiments A and a guerrilla group. Should take two weeks to form.

Claim your GROUPS now. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Okay, I'd like to pick dibs on Alfuego Group, either Task force 5 or the task force that will form up eventually.
Also, Any chance positions of task force could be marked on the map? A simple numbers would suffice.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
You get to pick entire groups, so you get both TF5 and the brigade in formation. And sure, I'll try to get some numbers on that map.

EDIT: done.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 12, 2018

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Super.
What's the intelligence on the enemies assets. I am especially interested what my Group is up against.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

habituallyred posted:

Volunteering for opfor. I also dug out a spare ATG key if one is desired by my fellow opfor officers.

yo habitually, does this offer still stand? I would love one.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Limited for now. What you see on the map is more or less accurate to your knowledge. I will provide further specifics later, once the other side finishes its final preparations.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'll be Staff for group FUL, since they're likely to see some incursions.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I am willing to take any force, A lot of people in this LP will be paranoid of me trying to raid their supply lines based off the Aurora games.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
So, if I read correctly, Alfuego is defended by a reduced divison (good for us), and a regiment of armours (good as they are just landing on shore, not so good as they will have better armor).
This will be though, especially because we are fording the river.
Question. After two week period, how much time would Task force 6 need to march from Maitrechec to help with the attack?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
We're probably looking at three-day turns, so about a week. I'll get back to you on that once I run some more tests.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Looks like I will get Group West then.

Tias posted:

yo habitually, does this offer still stand? I would love one.

Thought I sent you one? Same name on Discord?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Got it. Thanks a lot!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'll take group FUL. Will you be supplying the saves so those of us with the game can look at the situation?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Saros posted:

I'll take group FUL. Will you be supplying the saves so those of us with the game can look at the situation?

The problem is I cannot be certain people would not use that to cheat the game by moving your forces up, scouting out the opposition, then planning based on that. I don't think you can set the saves to be view-only with no possibility of inputting orders. It's not that I don't trust players in general, I just believe that a rule only enforceable by someone's word is a bad rule.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

All good, can we have a stat breakdown of the "Tanks" and the Rocket launchers?

Here's my thoughts on our units.

Both are terrible garbage units and will melt under any sort of armored assault or on the offence. Should only be used to defend prepared positions or to supplement an attack by Cav by adding another hexside to the attack (gives bonuses to the whole attack and increases the attack stacking limit).

Should be okayish for fighting in the desert but please don't think these are any good as actual guerilla units for raiding behind the lines. As there are non-guerilla subformations attached they don't get any of the Guerilla bonuses like better move through rough terrain, being harder to spot and taking longer to run out of supplies.

A solid if small attacking unit. The tanks are likely hot garbage but against units infantry without AT guns and Bazookas they should be ~okay. Also has enough horses to transport 50 rifle/MG units at horse speed which seems excessive.

It's artillery, 6 is enough to put the hurt on a crucial hex before an attack. Artillery is pretty useless against tanks or units in suburban/forest terrain.

Assuming these are a Katyushka clone they should be alright if a but underpowered for their cost. Mobile though.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The rocket launchers should be essentially renamed Katyushas.

As for the tanks, here are the stats - standard light tank included for comparison.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Okay for those not in the know a quick analysis.

60% more fuel usage than a normal light tank, these guys are clunkers.

From left to right:
Worse initiative - Means they are less likely to attack before the enemy gets to shoot them. Not too bad but not ideal.
Readiness loss per attack - They lose 5 readiness per attack they make. Considering that each combat can have up to ten rounds this means that across a full turn of combat they will be reduced to 50% readiness before any combat damage. This is really really really bad, tey are good for a single attack then are all going to be broken down and require 2-3 turns with good supply to get back to full strength.
Kill becomes retreat - They have a 15% chance to retreat from combat if they take a hit that would normally kill them. This is actually... good?
Attack/Defense HP - This is catastrophic, while they have roughly equivalent firepower to a normal tank on the offense they have only half as much HP and on the defense barely over a third. This means you absolutely must not let them be attacked by anything.

Summary - They're trashpiles but if used judiciously could be effective against infantry if they are on the attack. They are very very bad as defensive units and after a single turn of combat will be very worn out and require pulling back to rest. Losing readiness also means next turn you have less (Action points) AP to move so they wont be able to retreat on the strategic level after a combat.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
UPRA Forces have finished preparations.

It is now your turn to use the time they have given you. You have 250 Preparation Points.

You may spend those points to do the following:

Detach artillery - 50 PP
Alfuego is a drat fortress. You cannot both take it and defend against an attack. Let's just keep them bottled in and move our precious artillery assets where they would be more helpful. Will remove artillery regiments (but not rocket launchers) from Task Force 5 and position them behind Task Force 3.

Train Guerrilla units - 100 PP
We need to make sure units attached to our Guerrilla Groups do not compromise their activities. Will replace Machine Gun and SMG units in Guerrilla Groups with Guerrilla MGs and Guerrilla SMGs, which gain the Guerrilla bonuses to movement, hiding, and supply conservation (but not recon).

Move Guerrilla attachments - 50 PP
There is no point in trying to train these idiots. Let's just move them to our Infantry Regiments to give them more firepower and let the Guerrillas do their job. Will remove MGs and SMGs from Guerrilla Groups and reassign them to Infantry Regiments.

Move reserves up - 50 PP
We have been given time. Let's use it to formulate a response. Will move Task Force 4 to positions on or near the river line. Will add a supply depot for it closer to the river line.

Secure the flank - 100 PP
We need to make sure we will not be flanked from the north. The Ful is long, and we cannot man all of it. Will remove a cavalry regiment from Task Force 4, but hinder or even prevent any enemy shenanigans around the northern flank. If nothing happens, the regiment will return on Turn 4.

Fortify the river line - 150 PP
We've been entrenching along the river for weeks now, but that is not enough. Bring out the concrete! Will place three Cheap Fortifications along the river line.

Fortify the rear line - 150 PP
We must be prepared to lose the river. Bring out the concrete! Will place three Cheap Fortifications between the hill lines, where Task Force 4 is.

Get more rockets - 100 PP
Our missiles will blot out the sun. Their explosions will make it look like a tallow candle. Will add three more Improvised Rocket Launcher units, assigned to Task Forces of your choice.

Mine the river - 100 PP
We have been unable to man the entirety of the river line. How about high explosive in place of sentries? Will place minefields on empty hexes on the river line.

Fix the tanks! - 50 PP
We have banked some spare parts. Let's put them in our tanks and bring them up to a somewhat decent standard. Will replace tank units in one cavalry regiment with Standard Light Tanks. Can be purchased multiple times to replace tanks in different regiments. NOTE: readiness loss per attack has been removed from Awfulian Tanks. It turned out to have worked a little different than what I believed and made them nigh unusuable.

Mount up! - 25 PP
Our cavalry units have a lot of spare horses. Let's turn some infantry regiments into dragoons. Will remove 4 horses each from two cavalry regiments of your choice and reassign them to two infantry regiments to make them horse-mobile.

Propose a package and vote for it. Anyone (even observers) can propose a package, only commanders and staff officers may vote.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Popping in to suggest that you

Secure the Flank and Fix the Tank(s)

Rhyming things always work best. Mining the river would be funny, but securing the greater strategic position and giving better mobile assets seems key.

Y'all can figure out how many tanks exactly to fix up.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Here's what I propose. Nothing we have is capable of digging units out of Urban or suburban terrain around Alfuego so we should concentrate on bloodying the UPRA's nose so they let us reduce the city later in peace. If the UPRA breaches the riverline we will be forced to retreat from Alfuego even if we manage to take it so why not leave it to be a thorn in the UPRA's side?

Package down with the UPRA

- Move Guerrilla attachments 50 PP - Makes Guerillas into small raiding units that can infiltrate around the enemy supply lines and mess them up while strengthening the actual fighting units.
- Detach artillery 50 PP - This will let us absolutely smash any beachhead they get over the river.
- Fix the tanks! 50 PP x2 - Yes please (for task force 4)! This will give us a much more realistic chance of counter attacking and is relatively cheap.
- Mount up! 25 PP x2 - Stick this on the Task force 3 reserve units to make them much more able to act as a mobile reserve.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 13, 2018

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
EDIT:
Vote change:
I am for the guerrila detachmentfrom core units, detachmentof artillery and for fixing tanks with remaining points.

Jesenjin fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 13, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I support Saros plan

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also, this is your lineup as I see it:

GROUP WEST - habituallyred
-- Staff: Jack2142

GROUP FUL - Saros
--- Staff: Added Space

GROUP ALFUEGO - Jesenjin
--- Staff: Tias

Feel free to submit your super special officer names and portraits (177x194, preferably).

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Jesenjin is still the name. It is russian enough, although it would be more accurate to put I instead of J.
And can this image be used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Wojciechowski#/media/File:Serg%C4%9Bj_Vojcechovsk%C3%BD_1938.png
Tried to upload online, but my computer doesn't want to comply.

Jesenjin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 13, 2018

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Noted.

Voting will continue until we get an absolute majority in one option or until all officers have voted.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Going with Down With UPRA. Cheap fortifications would be aces but are too expensive right now.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Mine the river, move guerilla attachments, fix the tanks x2 for 4th

Honestly, how can we call ourselves Awfullian if we don't got an ill-advised and spiteful use of high explosives that will haunt us for decades?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I will stick with habituallyred as my nomme de guerre. My actual name is, uh, "difficult to pronounce" by the locals.

Any truth to the rumor that we are refurbishing some battleship guns for use as heavy artillery?

Tias
May 25, 2008

I am Staff Captain Tigh Aas, and I would switch out remove guerillas for Mine the River.

We're not holding the strongest hard, and minefields will either siphon forces into places we want to fight, or tie down their engineers removing them for ease of shelling.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Saros's proposal passes with three votes.

Final battle lines will be presented soon(ish).

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mines are free soldiers that don't die! Still say we need to lay some down.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
UPRA forces are now taking their turn.

Teaser:

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Maybe you should have posted this picture before we started with making plans...
I reckon we would have known that there are troops on the other side (withozt knowing their true numbers).
And of course, I for one would have liked to have known that we had a giant gaping wholes in our frontline... So we could, you know, do something about them...

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jesenjin posted:

Maybe you should have posted this picture before we started with making plans...
I reckon we would have known that there are troops on the other side (withozt knowing their true numbers).
And of course, I for one would have liked to have known that we had a giant gaping wholes in our frontline... So we could, you know, do something about them...

I don't disagree

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Tevery explicitly said that there wasn't enough units to cover the whole front. It's why mines were an option.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Saros posted:

Tevery explicitly said that there wasn't enough units to cover the whole front. It's why mines were an option.

And yet you didn't choose them. :argh:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Well it looks like each UPRA div consists of three infantry regiments, two gun regiments [infantry gun?], a proper artillery regiment and an armored car/cavalry unit.

The only good news is there do not appear to be any real tank units, the bad news is that we are massively outnumbered by four divisions, they already have a division across the river and each of their formations is significantly more powerful than ours.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Well. A retreat seems to be in order. Lead them into the empty desert.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Added Space posted:

And yet you didn't choose them. :argh:

At least you won't mine minding where to mine the OPFOR's step next time....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I knew the enemy was right at the river, and that we had gaps. But I did not appreciate the extent of our gaps. Hopefully that picture left out our guerrilla units.