Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Welp that's it for me i'm totally hosed. The tanks have massive maluses to combat as we have no fuel and my infantry hardly moved leaving them next to the enemy. Going to lose about 40% of my combat power next turn for nothing - they likely wont even inflict decent casualties.

TF5 also abandoned the hills way too fast as we cant counter-attack into the hills so now we have no 3-hexside options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I am mad on the internet. Mostly at myself. I knew drat well the fuel situation was a tragedy of the commons waiting to happen but merrily added to the problem every turn. Also I had a dumb confidence that units would move according to lines drawn on the map, despite their bad supply situations and opposing forces.

2 complaints specifically for Best:

Pretty sure our 17th had the movement and troops left to attack their 17th without southern support. Looking at my orders again, I admittedly did not discuss this contingency(see: being mad at myself). Red line attacks would ideally have taken place even if utterly suicidal, with purple attacks then having a large degree of discretion. I probably should have left those purple orders off entirely, in retrospect. Especially since the failure to even attempt the attack on 17th guarantees our pocketing on the enemy turn.

19th guerrilla has not moved a single hex from its starting position. I don't have the game in front of me to say whether or not their supply situation truly prevents them from moving or not. But the 18th at least moved a hex so I do not think that was the problem. I try to minimize cross map movement lines because they are a pain in the rear end to portray and interpret. So I drew a line on the SW mapsheet instead of the W mapsheet and did not include any language about the guerrillas moving to cover the artillery. I think what really fouled up in this case was my using a white line for artillery movement on one map, and a black line on the next. I was tempted in the 40th hour to make a new map of orders that did not involve cross map movement, but I did not want to ask for a delay.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

habituallyred posted:

Pretty sure our 17th had the movement and troops left to attack their 17th without southern support. Looking at my orders again, I admittedly did not discuss this contingency(see: being mad at myself). Red line attacks would ideally have taken place even if utterly suicidal, with purple attacks then having a large degree of discretion. I probably should have left those purple orders off entirely, in retrospect. Especially since the failure to even attempt the attack on 17th guarantees our pocketing on the enemy turn.

19th guerrilla has not moved a single hex from its starting position. I don't have the game in front of me to say whether or not their supply situation truly prevents them from moving or not. But the 18th at least moved a hex so I do not think that was the problem. I try to minimize cross map movement lines because they are a pain in the rear end to portray and interpret. So I drew a line on the SW mapsheet instead of the W mapsheet and did not include any language about the guerrillas moving to cover the artillery. I think what really fouled up in this case was my using a white line for artillery movement on one map, and a black line on the next. I was tempted in the 40th hour to make a new map of orders that did not involve cross map movement, but I did not want to ask for a delay.

The issue here is that I can only go so far in interpreting orders, and I have openly stated numerous times that unless you instruct me otherwise, attacks that only have some attackers able to take part will not go off.

Luckily, I have not started to process the Awfulian turn yet, so if you wish, I can still roll the orders for 19th and 17th in.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Thank you very much. I definitely did not adequately explain myself with those two sets of orders.

Most of the previous post was to make myself mad enough to remember this and not make the same mistakes again.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Right, I'm gonna go and do the Awfulian turn now. Please help me try to ensure such interventions are not needed in the future!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

November 28, 1928

There was a bunch of heavy fighting in the enemy turns. Also, for once, it's not casualties that are wrong after an edit, but the production, since...

This turn you have a lot more fuel to work with than before.

TF3's commander levels up. The card he gets is Charge!, which gives an attack bonus to an infantry unit. Unfortunately, it is not available this turn (cards have a % chance of being available each turn after they are used, this time you rolled poorly). TF2's Bombard is available, however.

Speaking of bombardment, UPRA shells 30th Infantry in the hills. They score few kills, but manage to achieve serious disruption.

However, this is merely an hors d'eouvres compared to what follows: a massive barrage of dozens of field guns blasts the positions of your stranded cavalry and artillery. The losses are severe, and the units heavily disrupted.

Around the same time, UPRA commences an attack that demolishes 26th Infantry. Caught in the open, the unit has little recourse and what few companies manage to survive the early hours of the battle rout.

But that was a sideshow. Two infantry and two mortar regiments fall on what your troopers came to call The Thirsty Hedgehog. But this does not go fully to the enemy's plan. They did not consider that your officers and men count many veterans of the Great Wars among their number, and have seen bombardments dozens of times greater than what they sent at you. They fight valiantly and the battle goes on for more than a day. In the end, exhausted enemy forces secure what positions they can and break off contact. You stood your ground, but at a heavy price - almost all of 7th Artillery was lost, and 7th Cavalry is now reduced to a few cavalry companies.

Very little movement in the northwest.

You manage to unlock TF2's supply link, but the forces in the southern depot still suffer from being out of communication.

There's also a bit of a push from the lone southern regiment.

A much larger Awfulian surge is reported in the east, where they press full steam ahead to your eastern supply depot.

Southern UPRA forces move into Etyman Hills and approach your defensive line. 26th Infantry was caught out in the open and overwhelmed, they've been beaten up badly. The rest of the line is still in combat shape more or less.

Your victory in the battle in the north gives you time, but the surviving forces are mostly in a precarious shape. TF4 HQ holds a large number of replacement formations, but they will only start filtering into combat units this turn. 7th Cavalry will get tank replacements, but you have no more standard-quality tanks remaining - the unit is converted to use Awfulian Tanks instead.

I have decided to make a number of adjustments to ensure we manage to contain the enemy advances. Remember, we just need to hold out long enough and make them bleed. Victory is possible, if we commit to it. These decisions have now gone into effect:

First, and most importantly, I have pressed a number of peons and unfit for combat malingerers to construct the Romano Road, our life line. Day and night, convoys of men, horses, and camels shuttle fuel and weaponry north. This should prevent us from further suffering from inadequate fuel transports - but there is only so much that we can have delivered.

Secondly, I have decided to immediately stop training more guerrillas. They are worthy fighters, but we need bodies now to fill out the line. In their stead, we will obtain more riflemen and machine gunners. All "B" infantry regiments will have their Guerrillas replaced with Rifles, starting in three days. All Guerrilla Groups sent for reconstruction, or those that have dropped to below 1/3 of their ordained numbers, will be converted to Infantry Regiment A model.

This means if you want 28th and 31st to convert to infantry, you should set them to no replacements this turn. If you prefer them to stay as Guerrilla Groups, give them reinforcement priority. Other Guerrilla Groups are above the threshold.

Units in reconstruction are moving towards Romano's HQ. Engineers are heading for the western supply depot in case it needs to be demolished.

Situation overview

Situation map

Replacement reports

Readiness reports

Clean images

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also, this happened:

Coalition Struck By Disaster As Awfulians Surge

MEMEL -- Rumours abound in the "Imperial" capital of a major - even outright calamitous - setback on the Awfulian front. Although the government officials either deny them or are not available for comment, the steady stream of terrified deserters, front-line correspondents speaking where the censors and secret police cannot see, and leaks from the armed forces all but confirm the veracity of the claim. (...)

Details vary. However, the most often repeated and best-substantiated claims appear to be that two Coalition divisions - nearly 18 000 men - have been pocketed by an unexpected Awfulian attack on their flanks. (...) Zimri-Liman 33rd Division was said to have attempted to relieve them, but quickly become bogged by resistance and logistics issues. (...)

Other reports say that entire divisions have been outright shattered by armoured advances, although those appear far less credible. It seems lack of food, rest, or munitions was a far graver threat than actual Awfulian troops. (...)

In any case, the government remains tight-lipped as the future of the intervention is at stake. No news is clearly bad news, as any veteran journalist in Memel will attest (when no provocateurs or snoops are in earshot). For what it is worth, there are no reports of new formations being called up or mobilised.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

TF 3 & 4 Orders:

@Jessejin I'm shifting west, i'd abandon the easternmost hill hex as there's nobody trying to take it, keep cav movement to a minimum. We need doubled up units in rough terrain to survive close contact with the enemy at this point.

Everyone Please try conserve fuel, if we run out tanks fight at greatly reduced effectiveness.

-TF4 Needs to be set as priority reinforcements.
-ALL guerilla units except 31st are to convert to infantry.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Habitually Red's Executive Officer stepping in with my proposal if he is out for the next couple days. *Edited with updated info on suicidality*

1. Keep tanks in Depot
2. Break Contact with enemy units and get them to chase
3. try to take back the supply depot from damaged units with the infantry and artillery.

https://i.imgur.com/ItEXANE.png

If anyone wants these countermanded let me know

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 26, 2018

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

To be honest if you carry out those attacks except for the one against the busted guerilla unit you will lose and probably lose badly. You need at a minimum 3:1 power points to successfully attack as a general rule and some of the enemy actually outnumber your attacks. We also don't have enough fuel for you to be using your tanks in combat or even really moving them.

You are also running the northern forces too.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

So my orders for the TF 5 are as following:

EDIT: First of all, minimal movement. Only shifting units one hex maximum. 6th infantry goes one hex north. 5th infantry goes one hex northwest. 3rd Cavalry goes one hex northwest. 37th is to shift northwest two hexes ad share the hex with 6th.

2nd cavalry nees to be prioritized in fueling situation, so it can occupy the supply depot before awfulians.

EDIT: New orders for this TF.

11th and 13th infantry will go and form the line, albeit shorter one. They will occupy hexes marked with their numbers. HQ will go a bit south and occupy its designated hex.
12th will swing to the southwest and try to occupy its designated hex.
Also, if possible, Guerrila left to guard the port will begin refitting into the infantry unit. We need competent guards if it remains there.

Jesenjin fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 26, 2018

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Jack2142 posted:

Habitually Red's Executive Officer stepping in with my proposal if he is out for the next couple days. *Edited with updated info on suicidality*

1. Keep tanks in Depot
2. Break Contact with enemy units and get them to chase
3. try to take back the supply depot from damaged units with the infantry and artillery.

https://i.imgur.com/ItEXANE.png

If anyone wants these countermanded let me know

Tevery

Jack asked me to post this as an update to his orders as they were missing the northern TF and he's likely going to miss the deadline.

If the two inf guys in the central south cant both make it to that hex where they are meeting have the hill one sit tight and the '65' one move South one hex then SW one hex instead.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Saros posted:

Tevery

Jack asked me to post this as an update to his orders as they were missing the northern TF and he's likely going to miss the deadline.

If the two inf guys in the central south cant both make it to that hex where they are meeting have the hill one sit tight and the '65' one move South one hex then SW one hex instead.

I don't know about that infantry meetup... They will be wedged between two units!! As can be seen from situation photo

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

That's why they're meeting up so they cant be as easily dislodged. It's the o my way to encircle the two hqs this turn.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

TF1, largely scattered from the fighting over the supply depot, retreats and regroups.

Task Force 6 arrives at the frontline. The troops are chafing for a fight, but for now, they are told to help corral Awfulian units too slow to flee the forming pockets.

Your soldiers push southwest towards the lake as well, but the 18th are not ready to attack the enemy regiment - the attack is called off.

The Guerrillas guarding Port Maitrechec are slated for conversion into the 40th Infantry Regiment, but with their HQ being so far away, this change is likely to only happen on paper.

TF5's cavalry takes position in the supply depot, denying it to Awfulian forces.

There is another repositioning in the northeast. Your troops assemble in larger concentrations, forming a tough defensive line. You begin to entrench, but many of your regiments are significantly understrength; it remains to be seen if the enemy give you a chance to breathe.

You could not attack the retreating Awfulian forces, but your artillery caught them easily.

Plenty of disruption on the enemy cavalry - but didn't even scratch the paint on the armoured cars.

You get better results bombarding further north, which should hinder any enemy offensive, or at least delay it - although, again, you didn't kill the really valuable targets.

End of turn overview

End of turn map

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Well hopefully we can hold in the east for one more turn but then I think we are going to have to fall back from the hills.

@Tevery
is there any chance of forming another Task force to defend the capital. We have more replacements than holes in our units from what I can see and the big issue is actually getting HQ's close enough to pull replacements, we desperately need more chits on the board to cover the huge fronts we have. Also any chance of Artillery replacements? Without them we are basically boned.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

December 1, 1928

Gentlemen. It appears the heavens are on our side, as was well to be expected. The heat wave of Awfulian summer is already upon us. Operational tempo on all sides is down. From now on, every turn is 3 days rather than 2. Soon, our enemies will be unable to fight and forced to go home.

And these are not the only good news. Take a look at this newspaper we took off an enemy scout we captured...

quote:

15,000 Rally In Besar To Protest Awfulian Intervention

BESAR -- A great protest rally, more than two weeks in the making, took place on the Victory Square (former Emperor's Square) yesterday, with masses of citizenry denouncing the current intervention in Awfulia as "a pointless manhunt" and "political showmanship that kills our sons and husbands." (...)

Anger over the decision of the Assembly to order four army divisions into Awfulia to bring down Admiral Romano's "regime" was brewing beneath the surface of political life since the very beginning of the intervention, but did not really begin to boil over until the newspapers reported early casualties suffered during and after the crossing of the Ful River. Immediately, anti-war sentiment began picking up steam, culminating in the long-awaited protest yesterday.

Several Congresspersons, mostly delegates of Soldiers' Councils, addressed the gathered crowd in support of their ideals, many of them also lambasting the Bureaucrats, Farmers, and the Central Planning Committee for their backing of the intervention. (...) Congressman A. J. Vencel (Northern Artillery School Soldiers' Council) spoke at length about his friends who had served in the 44th Mortar Regiment, destroyed in the Battle of Longmna, finishing his speech with an impassioned cry: "No more coffins! No more broken families! No more!" (...)

It appears that even though reports from the front have been more optimistic as of late, the wave of protests is not likely to subside any time soon.

Recruitment of replacements continues apace, but not as fast as you would want it to.

I have ordered the recruitment of more militia halted for the time being, we have a reserve there. Instead, those men will be prying old machine guns out of wrecked tanks in the Driblenx junkyards - we need more of those.

Your fuel reserves are increasing, if slowly.

UPRA artillery and ground forces push on the positions of your regiments in the middle of the Etyman Hills line. You take heavy losses and are forced out of the area.

More shells fall on your northernmost positions - they do little to your troops, but plenty of damage to the fortifications.

Awfulian forces in the northwest spread out and push on your borders.

Their compatriots further south do not push out of your pocket.

More Awfulians push out of Alfuego and approach your southeastern supply depot. It is barraged with artillery, but to little effect (one dead cavalry subformation).

Massive troop movements are seen on the UPRA front. On the plus side, 7th Cavalry now has tanks again.

Engineers move into the western supply depot, ready to demolish it at a moment's notice if necessary.

Replacements reports

Readiness reports

Clean images

Situation overview

Situation map

You have 48 hours to submit your orders.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 13, 2018

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
ADDITIONAL RULES MISCELLANEA

Typically, I resolve all the movements, then all the artillery barrages, then all combats. I try to follow the same sequence as the players' posts (so player A's movements -> player B's movements -> player C's movements -> player A's artillery etc.). If you ever want it to be done in a different sequence, let me know.

When attacking, I will call off attacks if not all forces earmarked for the attack can attack, unless instructed otherwise.
If you secure ground as a result of an attack, I will not advance forces into it unless instructed otherwise.

You are under Loose OOB rules. This means you can freely transfer regiments between commands held by the same player. You may also transfer units freely to Romano command. You may transfer units to commands held by another player, only with my approval (to prevent silly cheese). Remember any unit transfers cost readiness.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Situation report

East: The hill line is untenable we have to withdraw from it. Jessejin i'm afraid i'm going to have to ask your whole TF to detach and head south-west as fast as possible to intercept the Awfulian push on the capital, i'll do a fighting withdrawal and preserve my forces. Maybe if you are lucky Romano will give you command of that unit he's sitting on top of and the 21st falling back to reform. if we don;t get something there asap we are gonna have the capital scooped out from underneath us.

Western is looking good! Compare the strengths of the encircled Awfulian formations between this turn and last turn.

and

I'd say collapse on them. This turn is about getting in close contact (next to them) and bombarding then next turn when they are really exhausted wipe them all out. Make sure they can't escape the noose! Also note that the 16th Awfulian is trying to draw supply from the encircled HQ so won't be getting any either!

Clean image for orders!

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 14, 2018

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

TF 3 & 4 Orders

We're done here, or best hope is to fall back and stretch their supply lines while we desperately try to reform. If units cant make it to their assigned position please get them at least two hexes from the enemy.

Request for Romano If excess troops are available please form up any excess militia units for blocking duties against the Awfulian eastern force. Assign them to TF5 or TF3 as possible.
Reinforcement priority: Turn all CAV and TANK units to priority reinforcements.

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 14, 2018

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Trying to strike a balance between delaying the enemy and getting run over by a dozen tanks up here. Tempted to run for the newly vacated supply depot but I don't think the troops would make it in.

A complicated series of attacks by 18th and 19th. First 19th attacks the enemy 17th and moves into the vacated hex. Then our 18th (alone or possibly with our 19th) attacks the enemy's 18th and moves into the hex if possible. I would be very pleased if a follow up attack could then rid the world of the last few stragglers, wherever they may flee. Our 6th tanks will sip a bit of fuel for making an attack next turn a consideration, for ourselves and the enemy. An attack on 3rd HQ should leave the enemy with hardly any supplies to attempt a breakout with.

I'll be a bit greedy in the SW. Using our 15th to push their 16th even further into our arms. The enemy may yet attack our 17th so as to go out with a bang rather than a whimper. The SW supply depot is come under Jesenjin's 6th HQ ASAP.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Okay, a general retreat is the main order. Infantry will retreat to the line of Saros's troops, to strenghten them against any possible attack. 5th HQ will retreat 3 hexes to the southwest.
Prioritized 3rd cavalry will move as close as possible to the marked hex on the second picture.

Okay first off, 40th infantry will go down the railline, and move its command to the Romano for reinforcement. When they are full they will revert to TF 6 command. (order indicated on second picture of the TF 5 order).

Situation on the western front is a little bit complicate. 12th infantry will swing south to the hills and occupy it, or at least get there as close as possible. They attack only if 15th and 16th infantry unit from other TF attacks awfulian troops.
6th HQ will advance to the supply depot.
11th infantry will go northwest one hex.
13th infantry will go one hex northwest, then swing southwest to attack awfulian 3rd HQ after bombardment by 4th artillery from other TF. If bombardment fails to happen due to any reason, this unit will attack only if HQ is below or at half strenght. If bombardment happens 13th wil attack regardless of 3rd HQ strenght.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I propose we arrest Saros and strip him of command due to the fact he has been approached by the UPRA, we can now never be sure of his loyalty to the cause.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

I propose we arrest Saros and strip him of command due to the fact he has been approached by the UPRA, we can now never be sure of his loyalty to the cause.

As much as this suggestion has merits, I am currently against it, as we have a little, oh so tiny problem of everyone trying to kills us. Beheading two TF's of their leader, especially the ones that received lion's share of casulties, is the surest way to get a desertion.
This should be sorted out, but only after we repulsed the attack. If he is a traitor, he is trying a bit too hard to save our own men and kill as much of theirs as it is possible.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Obviously the answer is to give the dupe information that they want, but cannot use, in exchange for time to reorganize our line.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

You cede some ground in the northwest.

The noose is tightened around Awfulian soldiers in the west.

One of the enemy guerrilla groups is completely destroyed.

The other, however, manages to get at least some of its troops to withdraw.

Still, you manage to creep a little closer to the enemy supply depot.

Artillery falls on the enemy 3rd HQ, but TF6's ground troops coming from the east cannot follow up on that barrage.

The newly-renamed 40th Infantry moves to the end of Romano Road.

General retreat is ordered all throughout the eastern front. Taking note of your withdrawal, Romano moves his HQ closer to the capital, so as to improve its positioning and hopefully make it slightly easier to reinforce the western front as well.

The retreat in the northeast is a complex, messy affair.

End of turn overview

End of turn map

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

December 4, 1928

Casualties this turn are moderate.

Commander of TF2 has levelled up.

Awfulians fire even more artillery at your easternmost supply depot. You lose a lot of cohesion and take a lot of damage to the depot itself, but casualties are not overwhelming.

They also attack the northwest supply depot, with disastrous results - for them. They take heavy losses and are quickly forced to call off the assault.

However, 5th Cavalry gets rushed by two Awfulian formations, including an armoured group, and completely annihilated in a matter of hours!

Awfulians in the northwest do not move far. They only push up to your forces, attack, then stay in place, there's no exploitations.

The beat-up remnant Awfulian force moves away and your forces lose track of it.

There's also some movements in the east.

Northeastern UPRA troops are pivoting southwards, taking over Etyman Hills and the positions you abandoned last turn.

Further north, UPRA is looping around the lake and the stream with a lone unit, but more appear to be moving west.

Romano has already begun organising a replacement cavalry formation for TF1.

Situation overview

Situation map

Replacements reports
The good news is: aside from the regiments being reorganised under Romano (which I have now set to priority to speed things along, I need them back with you guys), you've also rebuilt your forces significantly. TF3 is almost back to full numbers, it's only lacking some machine guns and SMGs, most of which are already in the HQ. TF4 is slightly behind, but lacks about 20 subformations total (aside from artillery, which is not coming back). TF2 and TF5 are currently the most understaffed.

Readiness reports

Clean images

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Exactly like I said last turn, if you finish the turn with any of your units within two hexes of that big awfulian tank unit it will simply get annihilated. We simply don;t have the capability to take it on on the western front.

Anyway here's some more useful clean images for orders.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 9, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

TF 3 & 4 Orders

Units move as shown above.

Request for Romano blow the supply depot the engineers are on now and send the infantry units under his direct command to TF 3/4.

@Jessejin
I'm sending an artillery unit to assist against the Awfulians and maybe save the supply depot. I'd get all your TF moving as fast as possible to go to the assistance of your cavalry, they all should be able to make four hexes of movement at least and that unhurt cav can hopefully move to secure the supply lines to your cav in the depot. The big thing is getting your HQ closer so reinforcement, supply and combat bonus can flow to the damaged Cav again as right now you are too far from it.

@habituallyred

There seems to be something here is the fog of war judging from the two suburb hexes we can see. I'd ask that you scout forward asap to determine what it is, if we can seize Awfulian production, oil or Raw it will be a gamechanger.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 10, 2019

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Don't have any more time to wait on wiping up this pocket. Delay red attacks to coordinate with attacks by 6th HQ if possible. Green lines are merely my best guess as to what that those are going to look like. I would ask Jesenjin to budget any leftover movement toward the eastern front. 17th and 16th should occupy the attacked hex if successful.

Please execute mapsheet sw orders before these orders. I don't fancy running face first into an unscouted supply depot, so I am moving to encircle it as much as possible. The enemy did not think encirclement was necessary before, but would surely fall back on this when they get another turn. So I am attacking tanks with infantry. The artillery is moving a bit toward the north, as it is the only thing that seriously threatens the enemy tank deathstar.

Please execute these orders last. Time to see if the enemy can count. Best case scenario they fail to notice us and we can move between them and their supply depot. I'll settle for them diverting to stop me. I am game to try and kill as many tanks as possible inside the depot, but I don't think Romano would appreciate losing the depot and any engineers. One more turn and then blow it?

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Okay TF 5 infantry is to fallback to positions marked on the map, namely 37th, 6th and 5th Infantry.
HQ will shift to merked position.
3rd Cavalry is to advance as far as it can to the marked position. If movement spends readiness then it will just move 3 hexes on marked path.
3rd is to advance on designated path to get as close as possible for attack on 9th awfulian infantry unit.
After HQ and 3rd cavalry moves, then 3rd and 2nd Cavalry will attack 9th awfulian infantry unit.

TF 6 is much easier.
12th infantry will atack 16th awfulian infantry. Afterwards it is to move east with remaining movement points.

11th infantry will attack hex with 5th HQ and 6th armored unit, but only if either of these two conditions are met:
a) above menitoned units are attacked by another one unit from other Task Forces; or;
b) it will attack alone if no other unit attacks, and overall unit readniess and strenght of the enemy is 50 % or less.
After the attack, if the enemy is wiped out, it is to move east with remianing movement points. If the enemy is still breathing it will stay for one more turn.

13th infantry will advance and attack 5th armored division either alone or with other units. It goes without saying that combined attack is prioritized.

Jesenjin fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 12, 2019

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

TF2 and TF6 are ordered to begin liquidating the enemy pockets. Meanwhile, TF1 in the north gears up to backhand blow the overextended, fatigued enemy advance.

The pocketed Awfulians are slaughtered. They refuse to give up, but simply lack munitions to fight effectively, and are very, very short on food and water.

It's no better with their cavalry up north - they are either spent from futile attacks into entrenched positions or also tragically short on everything.

Afterwards, whatever's left of the pocketed troops clusters together for protection. It's not likely this will help. Other beaten Awfulian troops withdraw closer to their lines.

Pushing west towards the supply depot, you rediscover the runaway Awfulian unit. (These movements are not included in the overview because I only remembered to do them after I had the overview ready. Sorry!)

After all that pomp and explosive circumstance, the few quaint moves up north come as a relaxing denouement. Romano has received your request to demolish the depot, but considering the stellar success you have had against Awfulians so far, he believes it unnecessary for the time being. In fact, he's already drafting plans to use it as a staging point for a counter-offensive against the overextended UPRA right wing.

3rd Cavalry does not reach its destination this turn. Since it arrives late, the planned attack does not go through.

There is a large repositioning on the UPRA front.

One of the units in recovery is returned to TF3, as requested. The other, however, belongs to TF1. The central HQ shifts closer to Driblenx to improve the logistics situation.

End of turn overview

End of turn map

The turn now passes to the Separatists of Aw-Fulia.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

December 7, 1928

Gentlemen! I have bad news. UPRA has decided to do what we thought they would never have the courage to and started boarding Oceanian ships sailing past their coast.

It's bound to provoke a diplomatic crisis soon, but for now, our Oceanian partners had to suspend deliveries of machine guns to our forces.

However, we've already arranged for that space on the ships to be filled with raw materials, which UPRA cannot indict without risking outright war.

It complicates the process somewhat, but we are making arrangements to start circumventing the typical shipping routes.

quote:

Teutonian Empire to Annex Stran
NUREMTHAL -- The Ministry of War of the "Holy" Empire of Teutonia proclaimed today that its soldiers (evidently more imperialist thugs than anyone becoming of such august name) have occupied, and will hold, the Awfulian border city of Stran.

"The constant border harassment from the uncivilized bandits to our south eventually forced our hand and we have moved to rejoin Stran with the Motherland," said the Ministry's spokesperson. "The twelve long years of separation surely burdened heavy on the hearts of the local patriots." (...)

The Emperor's Court has issued a curt communique indicating the tyrant's approval of this illegal, rapacious, blatant land grab. (...)

Production is short a lot of your machine guns with not much to show for it. Casualties are not large numbers-wise, but you've lost several tanks this turn - they will be hard to replace, you're very short on raw materials.

You've built up a bit of a fuel reserve.

Commanders of TF1, TF5, and TF6 reach the next level. For some reason, the game says they all get a new feature, even though only Jack2142 received one. :shrug:

It's probably a trait that would have been more useful four levels ago, but, well!

Also, all cards are available, to wit:
- Bombard in TF2,
- Charge in TF3,
...and uhh that's it.

The Awfulians attack you near the northwestern supply depot and demolish an infantry regiment.

They also bombard a cavalry unit on the Alfuego front with rockets.

They then assault your eastern supply depot - their infiltration tactics prove extremely effective! They push you out with heavy losses.

The Awfulians in the north push south and close distance with you considerably.

You've lost the depot between Driblenx and Alfuego and the enemy has pushed a little - but they're not approaching too quickly.

UPRA troops maintain the one hex separation distance, but are now reaching the stream between the two desert lakes north of Driblenx. This river is much smaller than the Ful - expect they'll have an easier time crossing it.

Romano's engineers have demolished the western supply depot and are moving south as quickly as possible. 21st Regiment has finished rebuilding and is returning to TF1's command (it's already exhausted its movements for the turn). The 40th Infantry Regiment from Maitrechec is also about to reach full TOE (it's missing one machine gun), so Jesenjin needs to decide what to do with it.

Situation overview

Situation map

Readiness reports

Replacement reports

Clean images

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I like the fact I am apparently the higher level guy, despite being in the staff officer reserves this whole game minus one turn.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
We have 3 HQs and 2 supply sources in the west. Jesenjin can you withdraw this turn or would you like one more turn before you draw supply directly from Driblenx? Posting some preliminary plans in the discord, won't get the finals in by the deadline tomorrow.

Jack: great leaders delegate

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Clean combined image for orders.

@Jessejin we need your reinforcement task force back in the center ASAP. The UPRA seems to have gotten very cautious about direct assaults and this has bought us a lot of time to rebuild but this can;t last forever.

@Habituallyred from the discord i'd ask you to stay away from that Awfulian super-tank unit and preserve your forces (esp 22nd). The UPRA is using superior numbers to flank hard and I can't cover much more territory. We are basically unable to rebuild units into real fighting forces without machineguns so everything lost is gone forever. Finally we really really want them to send that cav west after the awfulian depot and get them fighting.

Saros fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 31, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Orders

Red is bombard.

@Jessejin if possible can you cover/fall behind the white line, i've got the territory north of it under control for now. If you can take 40th under your control to shore up the line that would be good too.

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 31, 2019

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Okay, no fancy banners this time, speed is of the essence.

TF 5
I would like to temporarely take up command (even if only for orders sake, although Hq bonus would be nice) of the 40th Infantry divison which is currently being reinforced and send it along the eastern red line to get in the defensive line. When TF 6 Hq comes in range, it will be reassigned back. I am stressing once again, reassigment is only temporary, and it is mostly for order convenience sake. If that unit can get Hq bonus, even better. If not, there is no shame.

Infantry units 6th, 5th and 37th will move along their designated arrow (5th by one hex, 6th and 37th by two hexes). Hq will move one hey to the south.
Cavalry units 3rd and 2nd will try to move as far as possible to the hex they are designated to move to.

TF 6
This task force is easy.
Go east everyone.

Only exception is 13th infantry unit, which will first wait for our other unit to come and attack Awfulian 5th tank(?) or whatever that counter is. Then it will move to the east.
If by some chance no unit shows up, then 13th will attack alone and continue east.
Either way it will attack and go East, only nuances are different of how the attack will commence.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Starting with some simple supply line cutting. Unless they met up with a garrison they shouldn't have that many troops in there. They may yet sally out. Trying not to think about the old saying about hammering a nail with a pie tin. Incorporating some scouting for the nearest enemy city. I can't take any city against any opposition, but you never know.

Should have gone after the enemy 5th to annihilation last turn. Our 4th will try to take care of that this turn, then move into the vacated hex. If they fail to do so our 6th is authorized to do so after moving into the hills alongside 1st HQ. Artillery goes after the enemy 2nd with Bombard card assistance. Reasoning: No armor support up north; as much as I would like the enemy deathstar to chase us south I suspect they will not; assuming it will take 2+ turns to get into position on deathstar. (A much more aggressive plan was rejected: move 6th up and to the left with 25% retreat rate, hold onto bombardment for if they take the bait.)

A very welcome round of cleanup here. My only worry is that we will run out of time to shoot them. Our 15th, 16th, and 17th should all occupy any vacated hex. Doing this after some over moves to ensure stragglers don't interfere with our movements.

I looked at a map and salivated at the chance for our 22nd infantry to once more stand between our former supply dump and enemy forces. Alas my fellow generals reminded me that we have a riverfront to defend and I am diverting to assist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

You reposition in the north to prepare to liquidate the Awfulian pocket, and to defend from further incursions from the north.

You open up with an artillery barrage against the Awfulian cavalry further north from your positions.

However, TF2's commander breaks a leg while coordinating it! He's out of action for the time being, and his Task Force is short a commander.

Your cavalry cannot join in on the attack against the encircled Awfulian 5th Cav, but the infantry does the job just fine.

The big pocket, however, remains. But it's shrinking fast.

TF6 begins its arduous trek east.

Their guerrillas in the southernmost pocket are finally battered into surrender.

You occupy the newly-vacated positions.

After cutting off the enemy supply depot, you notice two more units in the villages to the south.

In the east, having lost the supply depot, you withdraw to a new defensive line further west.

It extends further north. It's thin, but solid, and your forces are almost up to full strength now.

In the north, you reform your line, leaving the western bank of the stream to the enemy.

They can't have it entirely for free, however.

End of turn overview

End of turn map

The turn now passes to the Separatists of Aw-Fulia.