Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I want to make sure I understood something correctly -

So there isn't actually anything supernatural in this movie, right? The bad guys, even the "demons", are just regular people who got really messed up on hallucinogenic drugs?

I'm pretty sure that's what Bill Duke's character said, but just making sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Ehud posted:

I want to make sure I understood something correctly -

So there isn't actually anything supernatural in this movie, right? The bad guys, even the "demons", are just regular people who got really messed up on hallucinogenic drugs?

I'm pretty sure that's what Bill Duke's character said, but just making sure.

yeah, like it was all lsd i guess cause cage finds the jar that jeremiah let the bikers drink from the second time he was captured

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Harime Nui posted:

It's great how perfectly almost everything about the way Jeremiah presents himself, down to the toneless didactic song lyrics, tracks perfectly to real new age weirdo types you can see on Youtube

He's great and he's the character I've thought about the most since watching the movie. Like, he's perfectly represented as this past-his-prime cult pathetic cult leader who maybe had a bigger commune in the '60s or '70s but only has a handful of devotees left. The way he loses his poo poo when Mandy laughs at him is so good.

Cage, Roache and Riseborough were pitch perfect.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

I didn't want to spam the thread but it's a seriously great moment and wonderfully acted. Cage perfectly gets the awkwardness of realizing you are at your most tragic moment--that you will never go through anything worse than this. It's a kind of mourning really.

Another thing about the scene is he’s offered beer in the opening credits and declines it so when he pulled a bottle of vodka out of a random drawer in the bathroom it seemed to me that he had just, understandably, relapsed hard into alcoholism.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Glad I waited to leave the theater until the end of the credits. Very small extra bit at the end but arguably important. It adds to the ambiguity surrounding whether the events of the film take place in reality where everyone is tripping hard all the time, whether Nick Cage stumbles into some sort of supernatural hidden universe, or whether it's all part of Mandy's inner life and imagination and that she is the author of this story. I'm glad they don't try to explain this. I for one love the idea that the fantastic elements are real, and that there really are demon bikers with blades for dicks involved in the manufacture and sale of powerful hallucinogens living deep in the woods.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Do you mind spoiling what happened at the end of the credits? I had to bounce right after the movie ended cus of work in the morning.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Ghosthotel posted:

Do you mind spoiling what happened at the end of the credits? I had to bounce right after the movie ended cus of work in the morning.

Sure. It's a very brief so I may mis-remember precise details but it's basically just a shot of one of Mandy's sketches back at their house. The sketch is of Cage's character seemingly mid or post rampage and there's also a tiger roaring at the moon in it. No one's in the shot and it only lasts a few seconds. .

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Loved it. Everyone involved in this movie was 100% on board. Even the moments of straight-up comedy (The cheese goblin, the cocaine and - holy moly - when Jeremiah offers to blow Cage in a last ditch effort to have his life spared) worked for me because everyone was on the exact same level of giving their all to this movie.

Also: somehow the mullet guy with his mouth open the entire time was the ickiest thing in this movie to me. Ugh ugh ugh.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I've sat on it for a day but yeah that was a real treat. It felt like a 2 hour long death metal music video. The drums kicking in for the breakdown as he entered the church had me hype as hell while I was watching it. The movie does an excellent job at balancing Nicolas Cage's legit acting ability and when to play his insanity for laughs. There's also just a lot of really funny jokes in the movie in general. When Cage gets stabbed with that blade and they're like "This is the accursed blade of the pale knight stolen from the abyssal lair" I just about lost my poo poo.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress me this movie was incredible. It was like a painter brushed every color into every frame with such a razor sharp intent that it became this feast for the eyes, which made you really appreciate the pace it took.

Honestly I hated seeing this in the theater because there were bits I didn’t read as comedy at all since I guess I’m old enough to remember Cage as a solid actor and he really does give it his all with all the absurdity. It feels like such a modern and unique film and Cage doesn’t gently caress around with his character so I was bummed to see some of his bits get laughs when they were clearly far more heartbreaking and earnest than a gag.

The music was loving incredible. I could live in a room that was just printouts of every frame in this movie, it was so awe inspiring to just look at. Cage nailed it and I couldn’t imagine anyone else giving this role justice. If any movie really deserves some sort of Oscar, I feel like Mandy does on multiple levels. This and Sorry To Bother You are easily my movies of the year.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Found the movie really underwhelming. It felt like a straight-forward 90 minute revenge movie stretched out to 120 minutes with overly long moody segments.

It was well done; the director definitely knew what he was doing with the visuals and the sound, but it didn't come together for me.

Mostly, I just never felt engaged in the movie or the characters. I never figured out if the movie was supposed to be campy or heavy and intense, and it didn't work for me as either or both.

The theater I was at didn't have that many people, and during the bathroom scene about half of the audience was nervously chuckling. I didn't find her death impactful, so instead of the scene feeling like a heavy take on him dealing with her death, it just feel like it drug on for me. I can see why people didn't know if they were supposed to laugh or not.

It wasn't a bad movie; I overall enjoyed it, I just think I got a lot less out of it than they were going for.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
When I saw it several people walked out. Their loss.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

They certainly nailed the on-screen depiction of a horrific acid trip. I loved the gorgeous lighting and the various visual effects on hallucinations, especially Mandy and Jeremiah's faces bleeding into each other

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FYI the Blu-ray is available for preorder on Amazon for $14.99. Release date October 30.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I guess it's been mentioned that it's available for rental or purchase on VOD now

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Spatulater bro! posted:

FYI the Blu-ray is available for preorder on Amazon for $14.99. Release date October 30.

Aww yeee

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
Bought it on iTunes and watched it last night. What a ride! I'm a sucker for artsy deliberately-paced horror movies that get apeshit towards the end, so "Mandy" was right up my alley. Definitely an instant favorite.

It was kinda great to finally see a movie where Cage's special brand of insanity works in the movie's favor rather than against it. He kicked rear end.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just got out of a packed screening at the Alamo, what a loving beautiful movie. Well worth the effort to see on the big screen if it's showing near you.

air- posted:

They certainly nailed the on-screen depiction of a horrific acid trip. I loved the gorgeous lighting and the various visual effects on hallucinations, especially Mandy and Jeremiah's faces bleeding into each other

That scene was so amazing.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Enos Cabell posted:

That scene was so amazing.

Hell in general, every long take scene was awesome. I even thought for a second that I was tripping balls since I got so thrown off by the face shifting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw this in a theater earlier this afternoon. It's been several hours since I got out of seeing it and I'm still trying to process a lot of it. I've gotta sit on it for a little while longer before I watch it again (which I'm inevitably going to). I'm pretty sure I loved it, but I'm still trying to decide just how much.

Nic Cage's performance was wild and unhinged, but he's more of a silent protagonist than some kind of quip machine, not that I would've expected anything like that from Panos Cosmatos anyway.

And I loving loved this:

air- posted:

As soon as I noticed it, my face lit up with glee.

I was loving glued to the screen for the entire runtime. Just completely enraptured by everything that was unfolding in front of me.

e: Oh god, I just remembered Cheddar Goblin and now I can't stop laughing :lol:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 16, 2018

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Just so we’re clear - the fluid that gets dropped in Mandy’s eye is LSD right?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Since this score was so synth-heavy I wonder if Johann Johannsson's Blade Runner 2049 score sounded similar but I guess we may never know :sigh:

ruddiger posted:

Also, none spring to mind, but has there been any other movie where the main title for the movie shows up an hour into the movie? Usually it's at the beginning or the end, I think this is the first time I saw it show up smack dab in the middle of the movie.

Apocalypse Now

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Coffee And Pie posted:

Just so we’re clear - the fluid that gets dropped in Mandy’s eye is LSD right?
It made her bleed from her eye though, didn't it? I didn't think LSD would do that.

Although I'm sure the jar Red drinks from is LSD.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just watched this. I was super into it until Cage starts his revenge journey. Then it became predictable and the movie felt like it was rushing through the inevitable after it had spent so much time slowly building this dreamy mood. There's also a big tonal shift that's kicked off by the goblin commercial. After that, it felt far less serious and more like a comic book than any superhero movie ever has, for better or worse, and I found myself becoming much less interested. By the time he was forging his axe, I was getting slight Kung Fury vibes, which ain't a good thing. It's still a good movie, and the first half is amazing, but it's got some tonal and pacing issues that kept it from being consistently great.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

What was the wasp or whatever that was the "cherry on top" supposed to be?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Thumposaurus posted:

What was the wasp or whatever that was the "cherry on top" supposed to be?

I figured if the dropper was LSD, that bug was soaking in a jar of LSD

DieLaughing
Jun 27, 2005

We're in a shooting war. We need something to shoot with.
It's a stylistic blend of a dirty heroin needle and licking a cane toad. It's Drugs as imagined by Nancy Reagan.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NOTHING'S BETTER THAN CHEDDAR!

https://youtu.be/ZYOxbINCOt8

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so, this is probably gonna annoy some people in the thread since we all love this movie (and I should note I liked it a lot and it's a pretty hard rec to anyone who thinks they'd dig it)

but this movie's pacing is like... super super hosed

i don't just mean the beginning's too slow (though it kind of is), the last act honestly felt like it moved way too fast to the extent that I couldn't even really get a good sense of where the hell Red was. i feel like either some of the buildup needed to be cut entirely to make the movie as a whole leaner, or the movie should have been like 2:30 instead of an even 2 hours so more connective tissue could be added to the actual revenge parts.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
DID YOU RIP MY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRT?

I absolutely loved every second of this madness. People saying it's brilliant and people saying it's a loving horrible mess are somehow both right.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
"Oh... Cheddar Goblin" - line reading of the year

Loved this movie from the second the King Crimson kicked in.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 17, 2018

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Blast Fantasto posted:

"Oh... Cheddar Goblin" - line resting of the year

Loved this movie from the second the King Crimson kicked in.

Starless is one of the bleakest songs about depression there is, definitely my favorite on the subject, was an incredible way to set up the film.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

People saying it's brilliant and people saying it's a loving horrible mess are somehow both right.

yeah this is my opinion in a nutshell; I feel like I love this movie in spite of itself, if that makes sense

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

but this movie's pacing is like... super super hosed

The post-title section definitely moved faster than the pre-title section. But to me it seemed appropriate. The first half needed the slowness to build the characters and establish the stakes. Then BAM the title hits and it's time to get down to business. The second half simply needed to be a kinetic, balls to the wall payoff.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’ve been describing this movie both as a lost Stephen King short story, if he’d had an LSD phase instead of a coke phase, and as delivering the promise made by Drive Angry and Ghost Rider 2

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Cosmatos and Cage are such a natural combination, I hope we get another collaboration at some point in the future. It's great to be reminded of the potential of what Cage can do when he's given the proper backdrop to match his intensity.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just read an interview with Cosmatos where he reveals that he originally planned for Cage to play Jeremiah, not Red :aaa:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Spatulater bro! posted:

I just read an interview with Cosmatos where he reveals that he originally planned for Cage to play Jeremiah, not Red :aaa:

I'm glad it ended up the way it did, because that performance by Roache was fantastic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think my favorite shot of the movie was right before the initial attack, when the light kinda rises up through the forest and you see the silhouettes of the bikers and the cult standing there amongst the trees. Hard to choose just one favorite shot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

I think my favorite shot of the movie was right before the initial attack, when the light kinda rises up through the forest and you see the silhouettes of the bikers and the cult standing there amongst the trees. Hard to choose just one favorite shot though.

I had forgotten about that one specifically. Wonderful shot. I can't wait to revisit this to just bask in the visuals.