Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My favorite shot is Red marching through the tunnel underneath Jeremiah's church. I swear it had to be two different shots composited together; one of the tunnel and one of Cage walking, because it just looked so unreal (which is saying something for this loving movie).

Now I really need an action horror game where you battle some evil cult with axes and crossbows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Something I'm not 100% sure about after reflecting on the movie: the evil biker dudes are just people, right? Not demons? The scene where they were "summoned" sure played like a Hellraiser scene. But I like the idea that they're just evil dudes hosed up on zany LSD, because otherwise it kinda legitimizes the crazy cult's supernatural leanings.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've noticed that between this, Greasy Strangler and Belladonna of Sadness, Spectrevision has a weird habit of putting out stuff that leaves me unsure for a few days whether I actually liked it before I stew on it and decide it's a loving masterpiece.

That's... quite a brand for a production company to have.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Something I'm not 100% sure about after reflecting on the movie: the evil biker dudes are just people, right? Not demons? The scene where they were "summoned" sure played like a Hellraiser scene. But I like the idea that they're just evil dudes hosed up on zany LSD, because otherwise it kinda legitimizes the crazy cult's supernatural leanings.

Yea, your read is correct but I feel like that initial scene is purposely meant to feel like these dudes really could in fact be demons until you get far enough into the movie to fully understand what's going on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Whoops, quote is not edit, sry

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really enjoy how this movie chooses to give you no true backstory for Red or Jeremiah, content to let you fill in the blanks.

I keep thinking back to one particular line during the Mandy acid trip/talking to Jeremiah scene, she says something like "I hear the reaper coming"

So obviously, she's aware of some time in the past where Red hosed some people up with a crossbow, and this is corroborated by the scene with Bill Duke.

But we don't get the cliche revenge movie "this guy is the real deal! Ex-special forces with 100 confirmed kills!" dialogue.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, your read is correct but I feel like that initial scene is purposely meant to feel like these dudes really could in fact be demons until you get far enough into the movie to fully understand what's going on.

Even then it sorta gets funky when one of them takes a massive bolt to the throat, pulls it out, and has a huge fight with Red . It definitely felt like, at least for me, that the movie was playing it pretty ambiguously about whether or not supernatural elements were involved.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hope it doesn't take 8 years for this dude to make his third film. Having seen it in theaters Im still mad about the one-night straight to demand thing but oh well

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Also, did some digging and the movie's opening title card of

"When I die, bury me deep, lay two speakers at my feet, put some headphones on my head and rock and roll me when I’m dead."

Were apparently the last words of an executed convict in Texas? Is there any other source for that rhyme?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also, did some digging and the movie's opening title card of

"When I die, bury me deep, lay two speakers at my feet, put some headphones on my head and rock and roll me when I’m dead."

Were apparently the last words of an executed convict in Texas? Is there any other source for that rhyme?

I know it’s a poem that’s been used by a lot of people, but from what I found it’s origins seem to have started in the marines.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
In what proportion is this movie actually scary, vs just weird and violent and gonzo? I'm considering whether I can drag my horror-averse girlfriend to a screening. She's okay with violence and gore, but jump scare or anxiety-inducing type stuff is out. So, bits similar to Hobo With a Shotgun which was mentioned upthread = Good, but stuff akin to a James Wan film = Bad.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

King of Bleh posted:

In what proportion is this movie actually scary, vs just weird and violent and gonzo? I'm considering whether I can drag my horror-averse girlfriend to a screening. She's okay with violence and gore, but jump scare or anxiety-inducing type stuff is out. So, bits similar to Hobo With a Shotgun which was mentioned upthread = Good, but stuff akin to a James Wan film = Bad.

It's not "boo" scary as much as "approaching hell on an acid trip" scary.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I loving DIED when the guy pulled out the chainsaw.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Elderbean posted:

If I hadn't watched the trailer 7 times that probably would have been the most incredible shot of the movie for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

If I hadn't watched the trailer 7 times that probably would have been the most incredible shot of the movie for me.

Luckily I'd watched the trailer only once, like a few months ago so when it happened I wasn't prepared, I'd totally forgotten.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The LSD and insect venom scene was so unnerving, I was so relieved when it was all over and I mean that as a complement.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Elderbean posted:

Yeah same. Red gets a chainsaw and looks like this badass killing machine, then he gets totally dwarfed by the guy with the even bigger chainsaw. I laughed my rear end off. What a great moment :allears:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

King of Bleh posted:

It's not scary but it's unnerving as gently caress and sometimes kind of hard to look at, separately from the gore.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Same. All the absurdly overt phallic imagery in the movie worked, i.e. wasn't groan-inducing, because there nothing coy about it. It was all totally outrageous but at the same time strangely matter-of-fact. The chainsaw reveal is the best example of that. This movie reminded me of an 80s Schwarzenegger movie (I hate this cliche but it really applies here) on acid.

Needless to say I loved it. Crazy how 2018 saw the release of this and Hereditary, two of the best approaches to Satanic/demonic horror in film ever.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Budgie Jumping posted:

This movie reminded me of an 80s Schwarzenegger movie (I hate this cliche but it really applies here) on acid.

It's funny you mention that, because I just learned that Panos Cosmatos' father directed Cobra and Rambo: First Blood Part II.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

This atmospheric horror renaissance is pretty great, over the last few years we got Mandy, House of the Devil, Hereditary, The Blackcoat's Daughter, The VVitch, It Follows, and a bunch of others. So much of the 90's and early 2000's were a dark time for horror. I'm totally on board with all of these artsy moody horror films.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 17, 2018

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Also worth mentioning in that list and for fans of Mandy: The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears. Recent, far out-there neo-giallo

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Enos Cabell posted:

It's funny you mention that, because I just learned that Panos Cosmatos' father directed Cobra and Rambo: First Blood Part II.

Didn't know that! Makes a lot of sense. But for some reason it still feels more like Predator/Commando than it does Rambo.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The chainsaw gag is straight out of Phantasm II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAz6ip1WK08&t=32s

There's a lot of pretty overt references to horror and fantasy movies throughout the film, Hellraiser, Friday the 13th, Heavy Metal, Jodorowsky, etc. It's like he put them all in a blender. But it's done in a more loose fantastical way rather than something using them as ingredients in a very specific way, like say Stranger Things.

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 17, 2018

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've noticed that between this, Greasy Strangler and Belladonna of Sadness, Spectrevision has a weird habit of putting out stuff that leaves me unsure for a few days whether I actually liked it before I stew on it and decide it's a loving masterpiece.

That's... quite a brand for a production company to have.

Another common trait between Mandy and Greasy Strangler (haven't seen the other one), popped eyeballs

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Frankly, Belladonna of Sadness is the movie this actually most reminds me of. If you liked this, can tolerate animation, and have a decently strong stomach for sexual violence, you should absolutely watch it.

e: I should note that plotwise, they have basically nothing in common aside from Satan being involved; the movies do run on a pretty similar logic to each other, though, and are even kinda structured similarly.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
So I think I’ve posted about my efforts to craft a life size Beast but I’m also working on a 3D printed keychain size version

It’s off a sketch meant for the full size version, so it’s a little wonky, but it was an excuse for me to learn a little TinkerCad and I think for maybe 20 minutes of work it came out okay!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If you put that on Shapeways when it's done I'm buying one

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

If no one picked up on it Beast the axe is basically shaped like a axe guitar.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Hollismason posted:

If no one picked up on it Beast the axe is basically shaped like a axe guitar.

It’s also based on the Celtic Frost logo. https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2018/09/14/nicolas-cages-weapon-in-mandy-was-inspired-by-celtic-frost-logo/

This movie is so loving metal.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

dang I wish I could see this in a theater one more time

Wylo
Jan 24, 2007

Are you ready to get pumped?

Spatulater bro! posted:

Basebf555 posted:

I've been thinking about it after a rewatch and I'm leaning towards the other conclusion.

Lots of weird things aren't easily explained away: the Lynchian poo poo going on in Red and Mandy's bedroom during the abduction, the unnatural way Red's truck flips when he runs over the biker, Red's vision of the broadcast tower that leads him to the Chemist, various instances of inhuman strength or durability... As far as I could tell Cosmatos never drops hints about what the "real" versions any of those events were. (He does kind of pull a trick like that just before the end, where there's a shot of Mandy sitting in the car which cuts to Red making the face which then cuts to a view into the car from outside that shows Red by himself so maybe his mind's completely hosed by that point but even then the "real world" shot still has the otherworldy red glow.)

You can read this movie as a realistic revenge flick as told by a tripping unreliable narrator or as an earnest metal fairy tale set in a world where psychedelics are supernatural and LSD consumption attunes your mind towards unknowable eldritch truths. The latter feels more fun and more satisfying to me and it makes it easier for me to buy Red's unexplained decision to arm up for his revenge rampage by hand-forging a ludicrously impractical sword-axe.

A few other questions I still have:

What was that goopy poo poo that the cultists gave to the bikers? It didn't look like it was just LSD.

What happened to the fat kid the cultists sacrificed? I don't remember seeing any trace of him or his remains in the bikers' hideout.

What was the deal with the dagger Jeremiah used to stab Red? It got the same Big Important Name and green strobe light treatment as the horn they used to summon the bikers, but the dagger didn't have any obvious purpose like the horn did.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Wylo posted:

What happened to the fat kid the cultists sacrificed? I don't remember seeing any trace of him or his remains in the bikers' hideout.

Raped to death. You see his corpse briefly when Red is creeping around the biker lair.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Wylo posted:

I've been thinking about it after a rewatch and I'm leaning towards the other conclusion.

Lots of weird things aren't easily explained away: the Lynchian poo poo going on in Red and Mandy's bedroom during the abduction, the unnatural way Red's truck flips when he runs over the biker, Red's vision of the broadcast tower that leads him to the Chemist, various instances of inhuman strength or durability... As far as I could tell Cosmatos never drops hints about what the "real" versions any of those events were. (He does kind of pull a trick like that just before the end, where there's a shot of Mandy sitting in the car which cuts to Red making the face which then cuts to a view into the car from outside that shows Red by himself so maybe his mind's completely hosed by that point but even then the "real world" shot still has the otherworldy red glow.)

Also that one guy had a knife for a dick.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Wylo posted:

What was the deal with the dagger Jeremiah used to stab Red? It got the same Big Important Name and green strobe light treatment as the horn they used to summon the bikers, but the dagger didn't have any obvious purpose like the horn did.

They call it the Blade of The Pale Knight taken from The Abyssal Lair . Hiding that behind spoiler text because to me it felt like a joke about how serious the cult takes themselves. Jeremiah gives a little speech about how Jesus' big mistake was not finding someone else to sacrifice themselves in his stead, and then they proceed to stab Red in his side the same way Jesus was. The takeaway here is that Jeremiah sees himself on the same level as Christ but isn't stupid enough to let his own life be taken. Outside of that I don't think the dagger has any importance outside of just being this other really goofy relic they have

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 18, 2018

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Did that ocarina of crime have a metal name too

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

It did but im blanking on the name right now. Im thinking it was something equally as goofy like The Horn Of Osiris but I'm 100% sure that isn't it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Horn of Abraxas

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Seeing as it's only 15$ Amazon to preorder I'm 100% willing to toss that much down the well even if I somehow end up hating it (I can't see how I could be anymore than disappointed). Heck, I want to give it money just so Cosmatos can make more movies. He seems like someone that has a vision that really appeals to me but still needs some gestation to be truly great. Though the potential is so loving there.

Hearing about 'the bikers', (again haven't seen the movie, though look forward to it) I hope that the interpretation can fairly easily be ambiguous. Again reaching back to Hobo With a Shotgun, The Plague apparently literally are demons in the context to the story but I love that it doesn't really matter. They are a other worldly, seemingly unstoppable force and I just find that poo poo fascinating. That's part of what disappointed me so much about Kin, if anyone saw it. It felt like 'the chasers' in it would have a similar aura to them, but they ended up being superfluous to the whole film which ended up being more of a under cooked family drama. Wasted, wasted potential. So basically that's what I hope doesn't happen here, even if the bikers/demons aren't that crucial of a component.

Man, I really wish I could have seen this in theaters.