Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Thanks for the thread, now I will post the same question I've been asking everywhere else: what's up with the wack release? Appears to be one screening (7pm), one day, at Regal theaters. I know the industry is dying and all but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This really demands to be seen with theater quality screen/speakers

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hope it doesn't take 8 years for this dude to make his third film. Having seen it in theaters Im still mad about the one-night straight to demand thing but oh well

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Also worth mentioning in that list and for fans of Mandy: The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears. Recent, far out-there neo-giallo

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

dang I wish I could see this in a theater one more time

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Did that ocarina of crime have a metal name too

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

When Cage lit a smoke off a burning skull I could have sworn that he had done that in a movie before (and maybe he has), but I was thinking specifically of him drinking a beer out of a foe's skull in Drive Angry.

e: Mandy is def an arthouse cousin of Drive Angry

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

I did like that it paid off a scene earlier in the movie where Cage goes out to smoke a cigarette and throws it away half finished. That kinda bugged me at first so I was surprised to see it paid off.

In Drive Angry he literally says a line about doing it and then it becomes Chekov's Skull-beer

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm guessing the eight years between movies was way more about money than having ideas, so I hope someone with a dumptruck of money sees Mandy and lets Panos make something else and soon

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

There was a Business Insider article yesterday or so about how Mandy is actually making a ton of money for what it is and how few theaters it played in:

https://www.businessinsider.com/surprise-success-of-nicolas-cage-movie-mandy-causes-shift-in-theater-release-strategy-2018-10

This is cool and it makes it even more perplexing that the one and only screening in DC had like maybe 20 people

e: mandymonium even

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

ringu0 posted:

I'm going to see Mandy on Saturday in a local Alamo. I have no idea what this movie is about, and I have no intention to find out beforehand. However, there is one important question I would like to be answered, and it's "is Mandy a popcorn movie or not?".

The reason I'm asking is I discovered I like popcorn in Alamo, so I'm looking forward not only to watching the movie, but also eating a huge bowl of that buttery and salty goodness.

Just for example, Death of Stalin was very much a popcorn movie, while Hereditary was very much not one, because holy poo poo did you see that poo poo with that thing and omg...

Based on these two data points, could you please clue me in on whether Mandy and popcorn is an enjoyable combination?

You'll be fine. Worst case you get so sucked into the film you forget your popcorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Watched it again in theater. Still hauls rear end