Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wylo
Jan 24, 2007

Are you ready to get pumped?

Spatulater bro! posted:

Something I'm not 100% sure about after reflecting on the movie: the evil biker dudes are just people, right? Not demons? The scene where they were "summoned" sure played like a Hellraiser scene. But I like the idea that they're just evil dudes hosed up on zany LSD, because otherwise it kinda legitimizes the crazy cult's supernatural leanings.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, your read is correct but I feel like that initial scene is purposely meant to feel like these dudes really could in fact be demons until you get far enough into the movie to fully understand what's going on.
I've been thinking about it after a rewatch and I'm leaning towards the other conclusion.

Lots of weird things aren't easily explained away: the Lynchian poo poo going on in Red and Mandy's bedroom during the abduction, the unnatural way Red's truck flips when he runs over the biker, Red's vision of the broadcast tower that leads him to the Chemist, various instances of inhuman strength or durability... As far as I could tell Cosmatos never drops hints about what the "real" versions any of those events were. (He does kind of pull a trick like that just before the end, where there's a shot of Mandy sitting in the car which cuts to Red making the face which then cuts to a view into the car from outside that shows Red by himself so maybe his mind's completely hosed by that point but even then the "real world" shot still has the otherworldy red glow.)

You can read this movie as a realistic revenge flick as told by a tripping unreliable narrator or as an earnest metal fairy tale set in a world where psychedelics are supernatural and LSD consumption attunes your mind towards unknowable eldritch truths. The latter feels more fun and more satisfying to me and it makes it easier for me to buy Red's unexplained decision to arm up for his revenge rampage by hand-forging a ludicrously impractical sword-axe.

A few other questions I still have:

What was that goopy poo poo that the cultists gave to the bikers? It didn't look like it was just LSD.

What happened to the fat kid the cultists sacrificed? I don't remember seeing any trace of him or his remains in the bikers' hideout.

What was the deal with the dagger Jeremiah used to stab Red? It got the same Big Important Name and green strobe light treatment as the horn they used to summon the bikers, but the dagger didn't have any obvious purpose like the horn did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU