Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So is Cage implying that Elijah Wood was gonna be Red ("age versus youth"). That would have been crazy. Cage's presence, his size, his implied dark past, that all really added to his character. Elijah would have brought the crazy and athleticism (just look at him in Sin City, or even I Don't Feel....). But Red would have lost a lot as a character and an indelible image, a lumberjack from hell is a singular thing to witness.

Also like how they talk about the shift in his fighting style after sipping the LCD jar. Like he became a relentless avatar of death after it, rather than being the scrapper kung fu master just before.

e: also lol at Cage being responsible for the zoom in neck brake shot. that's awesome, the guy is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol if you don't realize it's her as a writer being awkward about describing her character insert's demise, just lol

e:

Ingmar terdman posted:

I'm guessing the eight years between movies was way more about money than having ideas, so I hope someone with a dumptruck of money sees Mandy and lets Panos make something else and soon

yeah about that

quote:

Domestic: $839,961 100.0%

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 4, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

apparently i'm real wrong and mandy is doing extremely well for what the distribution plan the creators had in mind. mea culpa

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gejimayu posted:

I know the apparently lack of understanding of what magical realism entails has cause enough derailment, but didn't the chemist show to have both telepathy as well as telekinesis? I swear when I saw it he flicked a switch or something without touching it, but I could have been mistaken. If so, that would mean that the acid had some sort of magical properties.

What do you guys take from Mandy herself as a character? The scene when she's coming out of the water staring at Red, and the way that Jeremiah was so drawn to her, as well as the weird eye stuff she sometimes had going on make me feel like there was something supernatural about her as well.

I'm having trouble separating myself from my read on the movie being a story she writes, so that sort of focus makes a lot of sense to me.

But there was a lot of hidden backstory neatly written into this movie. Mandy and Red are both immensely damaged folks, like Vern wrote, the movie starts like it's already at a climax. But Mandy seems to have a power even if you put aside my theory, her eyes are a particular signpost of this flick. Like, what was happening with her scar? It's Odin like. And now I'm thinking of her being hanged, which is how that particular god got his wisdom.

e: there isn't a particular logic to be gained from this flick, no straight story. Just a wash of allusions and influences, which mix together just as combustly as its various painter like brushes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

If you don't like horror movies, is Shudder still worth it?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

This is probably my favorite individual moment of the movie. It's such an unusual choice that I wonder if it was a Cage ad lib like the Bruce Lee Neck Snap Zoom.

I'm curious as to your thoughts regarding the idea that Mandy was lying about her treatment of the starlings. Does that change anything for you?

For my two cents its about her aversion and fascination with violence, and how the second half of the movie turns. Because she wrote it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That poo poo's badass. Reminds of Moorcock.