Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm gonna have to see this VOD. There's no nearby screenings I can get to. :(

4k TV ain't nothin to slouch at though. Still, I wanted to see it on tha big screen.

Yea I have a nice new t.v. so I think I'm going to take advantage of the early VOD in this case. I really don't think I want to wait until October 30th to see this movie, that trailer has to be one of the best I've ever seen, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cosmatos and Cage are such a natural combination, I hope we get another collaboration at some point in the future. It's great to be reminded of the potential of what Cage can do when he's given the proper backdrop to match his intensity.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think my favorite shot of the movie was right before the initial attack, when the light kinda rises up through the forest and you see the silhouettes of the bikers and the cult standing there amongst the trees. Hard to choose just one favorite shot though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Something I'm not 100% sure about after reflecting on the movie: the evil biker dudes are just people, right? Not demons? The scene where they were "summoned" sure played like a Hellraiser scene. But I like the idea that they're just evil dudes hosed up on zany LSD, because otherwise it kinda legitimizes the crazy cult's supernatural leanings.

Yea, your read is correct but I feel like that initial scene is purposely meant to feel like these dudes really could in fact be demons until you get far enough into the movie to fully understand what's going on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Whoops, quote is not edit, sry

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

If I hadn't watched the trailer 7 times that probably would have been the most incredible shot of the movie for me.

Luckily I'd watched the trailer only once, like a few months ago so when it happened I wasn't prepared, I'd totally forgotten.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I mentioned that shot a few pages ago, it's my favorite too. That's the one that felt like real virtuoso stuff, like ok this guy has really arrived as a legit talent.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's starting to bug me how people (mostly on other forums) keep saying they weren't completely sure who was in the sleeping bag. Any confusion people are having is based on assumptions they conjured up themselves, not by anything the movie presented.

I had a very quick moment of uncertainty about that but obviously that comes and goes very quickly within the full context of the scene. But I do understand where someone might be coming from there, just because of how that scene is purposely hallucinatory and dreamlike due to the drugs. I thought for a second that maybe the dude who they'd offered as a sacrifice was in the sleeping back, but yea very quickly it was obvious that wasn't the case.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The scene where Cage actually sees her face before it crumbles to ash has no dialogue, so I bet some people missed it because they have no attention span and were looking at their phones or whatever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just saw Bad Lieutenant for the first time and I highly recommend that for anyone who's looking for another Mandy-like performance from him. Just bonkers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

yeah about that

It's not really about the amount of money the movie made, sometimes directors get work based on the talent they show in a project that didn't make as much as it could have/should have. And Beyond the Black Rainbow wasn't really as much of a showcase for what Cosmatos can do in a way that would attract serious Hollywood people to him.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 4, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The money it's bringing in with VOD is no joke, top-10 on I-tunes means serious money for a film that I'm sure has a budget of only a few mil.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gejimayu posted:

I know the apparently lack of understanding of what magical realism entails has cause enough derailment, but didn't the chemist show to have both telepathy as well as telekinesis? I swear when I saw it he flicked a switch or something without touching it, but I could have been mistaken. If so, that would mean that the acid had some sort of magical properties.

Yea I think there's enough ambiguity there that you can read it as a batch of LSD(or whatever) so potent that it actually did pierce the veil or however you want to put it. I'd have to watch it again to really figure out if I come down particularly hard on one side or the other.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coffee And Pie posted:

There’s gotta be some symbolism in the tighty whities Cage wears. Innocence? Impotence?

It was the 80s

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I wish I didn't have to wait another eight years until the next Panos Cosmatos film. It's hard to think of movies I want to see now, because I just want to see Mandy again fresh.

What else can I watch that has the same vibe? Probably nothing out there I haven't already seen. Something with the same dark atmosphere, visuals, and a hint of the unexplainable like Beyond the Black Rainbow (duh); Annihilation; Stalker; Enter the Void; even Event Horizon in some respects.

Anything else?

Have you seen Under the Skin?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Your Parents posted:

It doesn't really matter if the supernatural things are "real" or not because the story told is emotional and character driven and not heavy on plot. Even if the events aren't realistic the feelings are relatable, and that's what matters. You get nothing valuable out of teasing out whether or not the LSD was magic imo.

People seem to love to point out that it "doesn't matter" in these kind of discussions but what if it's just fun to think about and talk about? Like, the literal meaning of Jack appearing in the photo at the end of The Shining doesn't "matter" but its still a fun thing to toss around in your head.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm fine with it because as a horror fan I'm hoping that if Shudder keeps getting bigger and more popular its going to have more ability to get great films like Mandy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

Shudder is the best value in streaming right now. $5 a month and tons of great movies every month.

Amazon has a ton of add-on channels and a few of them are also horror themed. But I guess because they aren't standalone streaming services, the selection is incredibly shallow compared to Shudder. Even if you don't like a particular month's new additions it would take a long time to really go through everything Shudder has and feel like you've seen everything you want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

If you don't like horror movies, is Shudder still worth it?

Nah, although from time to time they do get like serial killer thrillers and even some gangster films, but no it wouldn't be worth a monthly sub just for that.

I promise you though, if you think you don't like horror but maybe you haven't delved all that far into the genre, Shudder would be the thing to get if you want to check out some subgenres of horror you may not have been exposed to yet.