Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Gonna be seeing this today and I'm pretty hype for it. I'm catching it at The IFC Center and I believe they got a pre-recorded Q&A session with Panos Cosmatos and Nic Cage which should be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Not a lot to say this moment but my theater was clearly there to “ironically” watch a cage movie and there was almost non-stop laughter during the bathroom scene which was hella annoying during a genuinely devastating scene. Other than that it’s probably in my top 5 for the year. So many beautiful scenes.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

I didn't want to spam the thread but it's a seriously great moment and wonderfully acted. Cage perfectly gets the awkwardness of realizing you are at your most tragic moment--that you will never go through anything worse than this. It's a kind of mourning really.

Another thing about the scene is he’s offered beer in the opening credits and declines it so when he pulled a bottle of vodka out of a random drawer in the bathroom it seemed to me that he had just, understandably, relapsed hard into alcoholism.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Do you mind spoiling what happened at the end of the credits? I had to bounce right after the movie ended cus of work in the morning.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I've sat on it for a day but yeah that was a real treat. It felt like a 2 hour long death metal music video. The drums kicking in for the breakdown as he entered the church had me hype as hell while I was watching it. The movie does an excellent job at balancing Nicolas Cage's legit acting ability and when to play his insanity for laughs. There's also just a lot of really funny jokes in the movie in general. When Cage gets stabbed with that blade and they're like "This is the accursed blade of the pale knight stolen from the abyssal lair" I just about lost my poo poo.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, your read is correct but I feel like that initial scene is purposely meant to feel like these dudes really could in fact be demons until you get far enough into the movie to fully understand what's going on.

Even then it sorta gets funky when one of them takes a massive bolt to the throat, pulls it out, and has a huge fight with Red . It definitely felt like, at least for me, that the movie was playing it pretty ambiguously about whether or not supernatural elements were involved.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Wylo posted:

What was the deal with the dagger Jeremiah used to stab Red? It got the same Big Important Name and green strobe light treatment as the horn they used to summon the bikers, but the dagger didn't have any obvious purpose like the horn did.

They call it the Blade of The Pale Knight taken from The Abyssal Lair . Hiding that behind spoiler text because to me it felt like a joke about how serious the cult takes themselves. Jeremiah gives a little speech about how Jesus' big mistake was not finding someone else to sacrifice themselves in his stead, and then they proceed to stab Red in his side the same way Jesus was. The takeaway here is that Jeremiah sees himself on the same level as Christ but isn't stupid enough to let his own life be taken. Outside of that I don't think the dagger has any importance outside of just being this other really goofy relic they have

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 18, 2018

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

It did but im blanking on the name right now. Im thinking it was something equally as goofy like The Horn Of Osiris but I'm 100% sure that isn't it.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Hell yeah

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I saw it again last night so I can comment on LSD chat but we get two examples of it seeming to make characters omniscient. When Red samples the batch the bikers have he gets a glimpse of where the radio tower which seems to be how he knows where to go at all, and of course the entire "conversation" between the chemist and red that was mentioned before.

Also was extremely glad to see a completely packed theater for a late night showing on a Tuesday night. I'm pretty happy for Cosmatos getting the response that he is with Mandy. Dude hit it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

After he runs over one of the black skulls and gets captured the slimiest boy in the bunch walks over to red while he's chained to a pipe and says "You have a death wish" out of his awful mouth.