Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Yesterday I dropped acid and then watched Mandy followed by Beyond the Black Rainbow and my idea of what cinema can be has just been shattered. Thanks Cosmatos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

This was my read. It seemed to be tied to a character's intent or purity of purpose, and just made them more of whatever they were inside, like how the super soldier serum affected Captain America, Red Skull, and Abomination differently.

This makes sense considering real LSD also can have very different effects depending on several factors, so specifically namedropping that as the basis for the fictional superdrug seems to support that reading.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Free Drinks posted:

I would highly recommend The Void (a different film from Enter the Void), but with a big grain a salt. I don't know how that works, but it's a very interesting movie that just doesn't live up to it's potential. It's overt in it's use of supernatural eldritch forces but I feel shares some of the ethereal dread that comes from Mandy. Though I'll say it's faaar closer to Event Horizon than any of the others on your list.

Would have made for a loving amazing TV show or miniseries, giving us more information while also making it so that information means less. Oh well.

Cosmatos is thanked in the credits for this, so I'm planning to watch it soon just based on that.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Free Drinks posted:

I really love this and how he licks his fingers when he puts his hands down. If you don't know anything about LSD, he is soaking the paper with the drug suspended in a solvent. So he's dunking his hands in LSD. His bare hands.There's a reason the guy basically doesn't have irises the whole scene. And it's that. Like, holy poo poo.

While LSD is indeed an extremely potent drug in terms of dose and licking those fingers would normally hit you like a ton of bricks, LSD tolerance also builds really quickly (as in if you take it two days in a row you'll need about three times the dose on the second day to get the same effect) and if that dude takes it daily, a little lick of his fingers is unlikely to do much. Also, anecdotal evidence from hardcore acid-heads suggest that very large doses will screw up your tolerance for much longer, possibly for life.

Probably the same reason that one dude chugs it like it's beer.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Thanks, the keys are like right next to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Free Drinks posted:

I am aware of the licking part, heck that would mostly be ethanol or another solvent anyway, but the dunking your hands in it all the time would likely be enough to be hosed up 24/7 regardless of tolerance. I mean, obviously in reality there is some point where it wouldn't have the same impact, but if you made acid nearly nude and with bare hands, you would be one hosed up dude.

Actually...