Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ingmar terdman posted:

Thanks for the thread, now I will post the same question I've been asking everywhere else: what's up with the wack release? Appears to be one screening (7pm), one day, at Regal theaters. I know the industry is dying and all but lol

Yeah, there's like ten theaters here showing it all today at 7PM.

I switched shifts with a coworker just so I could go see it. Theater was already half sold out surprisingly, but I'm a lunatic who likes sitting up closer to the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

KaptainKrunk posted:

Technically a lot more proficient than Beyond the Black Rainbow, but I'm not sure if I liked it more. It takes itself less seriously, with the humor and camp being much more intentional this time around. Cosmatos is still a rough-around-the-edges director, but you can tell he has made tremendous strides since then. Felt like this could have been quite an excellent 90 minute movie needlessly stretched out to 2 hours.

Personally I thought the length was essential, you can't really create that same trance-like tone and ambiance with a more hectic pace. I was seriously drawn in by the film in a very xen way, it was super easy to forget I was in a theater with Mandy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Harime Nui posted:

Just got out of it. Didn't stick around for the q&a. Movie was fine but that was the WORST audience I have ever had to endure. Three assholes sitting in the front (shows how smart they were, there was like 18 people in the theater) tried to make jokes whenever the movie hit a comic beat, some guy I'm guessing was an RLM fan actually yelled "what a piece of poo poo!" when it ended, starting a shouted conversation over the credits. Just awful.

I had never seen a Cosmatos picture before and didn't know what to expect. A fairly straightforward delightful revenge picture, like Tarantino might make if he was born in the first half of the 70s. Cage's beer belly and workingman thickness is perfect, his stomach almost steals the show. The movie seems to have a definite love-hate relationship to fantasy it's trying to work through. I'm sure somebody already said this but lmao at the villain's lame-rear end folk music, best gag in the movie

Luckily I had a relatively decent audience. The only lovely moment was a few younger dudes starting to giggle during the Nick Cage losing it in the bathroom scene but that quickly quieted down after people realized it was actually a really emotionally devastating moment that was really well done.
The only times people laughed outside of that were at moments that were supposed to be funny.

Honestly I expected that kind of bullshit as soon as I saw the trailer and saw that it had Nic Cage, a lot of younger people in particular have this far too modern pop-culture image of Nic Cage since his reputation these days is mostly centered around freakouts and outrageous performances, so plenty of people were probably going into showings of Mandy ready to guffaw at him being a lunatic and not appreciate how great of a performer he can be with the right material and director.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Blast Fantasto posted:

"Oh... Cheddar Goblin" - line resting of the year

Loved this movie from the second the King Crimson kicked in.

Starless is one of the bleakest songs about depression there is, definitely my favorite on the subject, was an incredible way to set up the film.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ZZZorcerer posted:

You see Red take it in the bikers kitchen, some kind of crazy drug. I think that you see it at the table with the guy making LSD too

It's the bad batch that the LSD chemist fed to them after a falling out, it's hinted at earlier in the film in dialogue, it was meant to gently caress them up.