Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
When I was watching the film, I assumed the Jar given to the bikers was blood. Probably it was just the lighting, but it looked darker and less viscous than the lcd hoard. Plus, I thought the bikers' request for blood was worded like they were seeking more blood (though I may have just heard what I wanted to hear).

Class Warcraft posted:

In my mind its like a fever dream of all the dumb poo poo conservatives feared and believed were real in the 1980's:
-Evil human-sacrificing sex cult hanging out in the forest? Check
-Drugs turning you into a deranged psychopath? Check
-Playing Dungeons and Dragons turns you evil? Check (don't try and tell me the Horn of Abraxis and The Dagger of the Pale Knight aren't some nerd D&D poo poo)
-Rock and Roll dude literally brainwashing people? Check

All it needs is homophobia and that was probably in there somewhere and I missed it.

Actually I think the movie is distinctly trying to take the opposite approach. Our heroes are two honest people sure. But one of the introductory scenes is of Cage deliberately turning off a Reagan speech, and of the two sitting around watching a horror movie. Not to mention the metal t-shirts and fantasy artwork belonging to Mandy. Meanwhile the cult is a bunch of christians deliberately undermining Christ's teachings for personal profit/pleasure.

In conclusion, Jesus Freaks are a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
A good way of putting this film is that (despite being shot digital) is that it is a 16mm film, given 16mm resources, yet carries itself like a 70mm epic, to the goal of presenting love letter to all of the 8mm and 16mm shlock of the 60's-80's.

Also, did you guys know Cheddar Goblin has a twitter?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Plus RE: The gross: this film had a really atypical release between the number of limited, one night showings in most markets and it's same day digital release. The people behind this film are going for both the long game in multiple markets rather than the quick buck off the domestic circuit. Considering that this weird tiny film is close to making $1 million is probably cause for celebration.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

ringu0 posted:

I'm going to see Mandy on Saturday in a local Alamo. I have no idea what this movie is about, and I have no intention to find out beforehand. However, there is one important question I would like to be answered, and it's "is Mandy a popcorn movie or not?".

The reason I'm asking is I discovered I like popcorn in Alamo, so I'm looking forward not only to watching the movie, but also eating a huge bowl of that buttery and salty goodness.

Just for example, Death of Stalin was very much a popcorn movie, while Hereditary was very much not one, because holy poo poo did you see that poo poo with that thing and omg...

Based on these two data points, could you please clue me in on whether Mandy and popcorn is an enjoyable combination?

Just eat the popcorn, Quiz Boy.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Just found out that Shudder inked a deal for the exclusive streaming rights for Mandy. A little bummed that this film won't have the huge second wave on Netflix that it deserved. But hell, Shudder is a pretty good service in it's own right. Hopefully it will bring some eyeballs their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, but like, have you wondered that maybe the mundane poo poo was the hallucination, and all the crazy poo poo WAS REALITY.

Edit: Sorry, weed's legal in Canada now. It's like a whole nation is a giant hot box now.