Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghosthotel posted:

Not a lot to say this moment but my theater was clearly there to “ironically” watch a cage movie and there was almost non-stop laughter during the bathroom scene which was hella annoying during a genuinely devastating scene. Other than that it’s probably in my top 5 for the year. So many beautiful scenes.

honestly i wasn't there to ironically watch a cage movie and i still couldn't take that scene seriously at all

maybe the internet has just ruined cage for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
movie loving owned though

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so, this is probably gonna annoy some people in the thread since we all love this movie (and I should note I liked it a lot and it's a pretty hard rec to anyone who thinks they'd dig it)

but this movie's pacing is like... super super hosed

i don't just mean the beginning's too slow (though it kind of is), the last act honestly felt like it moved way too fast to the extent that I couldn't even really get a good sense of where the hell Red was. i feel like either some of the buildup needed to be cut entirely to make the movie as a whole leaner, or the movie should have been like 2:30 instead of an even 2 hours so more connective tissue could be added to the actual revenge parts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

People saying it's brilliant and people saying it's a loving horrible mess are somehow both right.

yeah this is my opinion in a nutshell; I feel like I love this movie in spite of itself, if that makes sense

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've noticed that between this, Greasy Strangler and Belladonna of Sadness, Spectrevision has a weird habit of putting out stuff that leaves me unsure for a few days whether I actually liked it before I stew on it and decide it's a loving masterpiece.

That's... quite a brand for a production company to have.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

King of Bleh posted:

In what proportion is this movie actually scary, vs just weird and violent and gonzo? I'm considering whether I can drag my horror-averse girlfriend to a screening. She's okay with violence and gore, but jump scare or anxiety-inducing type stuff is out. So, bits similar to Hobo With a Shotgun which was mentioned upthread = Good, but stuff akin to a James Wan film = Bad.

It's not scary but it's unnerving as gently caress and sometimes kind of hard to look at, separately from the gore.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Frankly, Belladonna of Sadness is the movie this actually most reminds me of. If you liked this, can tolerate animation, and have a decently strong stomach for sexual violence, you should absolutely watch it.

e: I should note that plotwise, they have basically nothing in common aside from Satan being involved; the movies do run on a pretty similar logic to each other, though, and are even kinda structured similarly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If you put that on Shapeways when it's done I'm buying one

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ingmar terdman posted:

Did that ocarina of crime have a metal name too

Frankly "Ocarina of Crime" is better than the actual name

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ah ha ha of loving course Conquest inspired this, I can completely see it in hindsight

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Real dilemma with this one. I'm a big fan of Beyond the Black Rainbow. I want to see Mandy for the incredible vision of Panos Cosmatos, but I don't like revenge horror movies and gratuitous, graphic violence.

Is the focus more on how gross the next kill is, or on trippy suspenseful vibes like BBR was?

The latter. People focusing on the violent revenge aspects are selling you a movie you're not gonna get. It's probably better to think of this as the Only God Forgives to BTBR's Drive; it's darker, messier, nastier, and in some ways even more abstract, but it's very much in the same vein.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HumanDecency posted:

But we know the Bikers weren't actual hell spawns because the black oracle - basically Morpheous - tells us that the bikers are just people who had bad LSD trips from Jeremiah's chemist.

Doesn't he say that it was some kind of batshit super-acid that turned them into that, and not just regular acid?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NmareBfly posted:

The one unexplained thing I expected a bit more on was Red's gut wound. They deffo stab him, and I was expecting one leg to be drenched in blood in the bathroom scene but... nope. Besides a tear in his shirt, it's not really mentioned that I remember.

I gathered it wasn't a super deep stab; deep enough that he needed to pour some vodka on it to disinfect it, not deep enough to require more serious medical attention than that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I should note for anyone else who's interested, there's a Mandy merch store if you google around that has 2 different versions of the 44 shirt (regular and production crew) and a "party kit" that makes me think they're planning for this to be the 2010s Rocky Horror.

e: I'm definitely getting a 44 shirt and I want the party kit just for the cheddar goblin beanie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Free Drinks posted:

I don't really know what would happen when watching this on LSD.

I really wanna try watching this and dropping at the exact moment Mandy gets dosed. I feel like that would keep me sober through all the stuff I don't really wanna see on acid, including the actual acid trip scene, and then I'd be coming up right as the movie goes 0-100.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blisster posted:

Totally worth spilling bong water in my car for.

protip: next time, bring a hand pipe

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Free Drinks posted:

That may be the meaning behind it, but I was more referring to the question that's been asked over and over in the thread, "is the crazy poo poo we are seeing because of drugs, or is it supposed to be real?". The answer is ambiguous, the audience wasn't intended to walk away knowing it to be one or the other. Just knowing that Red was corrupted by the events and had surpassed Sand and the others physically and spiritually.

Yeah, to fit it into SMG's analogy, people aren't questioning whether Red is drowning or swimming in the waters; they're questioning whether the waters are there at all.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
SMG, you really should write a screenplay, regardless of the fact that Mandy already exists for you to analyze

the impression I get is that something you made would be absolutely next-level space-age poo poo even compared to stuff like this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SlimGoodbody posted:

"Ice cream is okay but I don't like how it's cold and sweet."

I think it's fair to say that there's more than one thing that can pull you in about Mandy, and if you're just there for one of those things you're probably not gonna be fond of the others.

Like, someone who's into this because they like artsy horror is probably gonna think it loses the plot in the second half. Someone who's into this because they wanna see Nic Cage chainsaw-dueling Cenobite bikers is gonna be bored to tears by the first half. You really have to be on board with both sides of the movie to not have any negatives about it.