Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ghosthotel posted:

Even then it sorta gets funky when one of them takes a massive bolt to the throat, pulls it out, and has a huge fight with Red . It definitely felt like, at least for me, that the movie was playing it pretty ambiguously about whether or not supernatural elements were involved.

its explicitly supernatural. things can be metaphors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

zer0spunk posted:

I'd like to think it's the same poo poo the weirdo scientists in Beyond the Black Rainbow were dosing with since it triggers the same insane melting skull visuals in both movies and it's set in the same year. Wonder if his hair falls out eventually.

this is one hundred percent panos cosmatos trying to set up the panos cosmatos extended universe

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The tainted blade of the pale knight straight from the abyssal lair went like a foot into his side and then gets completely brushed aside. Maybe it's what set red on his path to becoming a demon or something.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I thought it was really good and strong that Mandy's last appearance is powerfully laughing at Jeremiah's dick and the memory isn't corrupted by leering shots of her screaming in pain etc.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
A lot of other movies would stick to filming her death scene in a voyeuristic way and do all the closeups and make it this whole thing about titillating the audience or whatever crap, but Mandy goes out on her own terms and doesn't give the audience any satisfaction or entertainment in her death, which is directly contrasted with Red orgasmically murdering people on screen with huge gore for the second half of the movie.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I wish I didn't have to wait another eight years until the next Panos Cosmatos film. It's hard to think of movies I want to see now, because I just want to see Mandy again fresh.

What else can I watch that has the same vibe? Probably nothing out there I haven't already seen. Something with the same dark atmosphere, visuals, and a hint of the unexplainable like Beyond the Black Rainbow (duh); Annihilation; Stalker; Enter the Void; even Event Horizon in some respects.

Anything else?

Basically every David Lynch movie.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Free Drinks posted:

I would highly recommend The Void (a different film from Enter the Void), but with a big grain a salt. I don't know how that works, but it's a very interesting movie that just doesn't live up to it's potential. It's overt in it's use of supernatural eldritch forces but I feel shares some of the ethereal dread that comes from Mandy. Though I'll say it's faaar closer to Event Horizon than any of the others on your list.

Would have made for a loving amazing TV show or miniseries, giving us more information while also making it so that information means less. Oh well.

The (A)void

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, to fit it into SMG's analogy, people aren't questioning whether Red is drowning or swimming in the waters; they're questioning whether the waters are there at all.

those people are missing the entire plot of the movie.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
To be honest if you take all the supernatural stuff literally the movie is about coping with trauma and how Mandy (ignore that she's dead) goes on an internal meditative journey, finds and slays her demons, and takes things from the experience to make her stronger, while Red externalizes his anger to the point that he no longer acts for love, but for masturbatory self satisfaction, and becomes a delusional demon hard to separate from the bikers at the end. He doesn't have Mandy, and has no more connection to her in her own journey, but he thinks he does because he did what he wanted to do to make himself feel better.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
This also reflects the relationship in the beginning of the movie. Mandy's ideal world is the one she paints. She has goals and dreams and all that independent of her relationship. Red's ideal world is "being with Mandy".

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It doesn't really matter if the supernatural things are "real" or not because the story told is emotional and character driven and not heavy on plot. Even if the events aren't realistic the feelings are relatable, and that's what matters. You get nothing valuable out of teasing out whether or not the LSD was magic imo.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

People seem to love to point out that it "doesn't matter" in these kind of discussions but what if it's just fun to think about and talk about? Like, the literal meaning of Jack appearing in the photo at the end of The Shining doesn't "matter" but its still a fun thing to toss around in your head.

Because the story and experience isn't affected either way, really. Its still an emotionally driven movie about coping with loss in a destructive way. It's more fun to believe it's all literal because it's all presented that way on screen, but if you want to be a boring person who goes durr it's all a hallucination it's still fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The point of the last shot is that Mandy is not in the car and out of all the crazy poo poo we just saw, Red thinking he won and did it and gets to be happy with Mandy is the hallucination utterly detached from reality.