Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My take on whether the Black Skulls were demons or just human bikers who went nuts is that it was a bit of both?

If you look at Beyond the Black Rainbow, there's precedent for the idea that Panos makes movies in which unethical science, complex occult theological frameworks, and experimental, wildly unsafe psychedelic drugs can shunt a person's psyche into the Lovecraftian realms of Knowledge and Contact Man Must Not Have Without Shattering, and Also You Bring It Back With You. The idea that the occult-minded psychonaut must go into the impossible places and bring some back within them is not dissimilar from a lot of occult sprituality initiates.

In BtBR, Barry has his soul scalded away in the motherload ritual, and comes back with something inside him that Was Not Barry and becomes less and less human over time, up until that entity only feels comfortable taking off its "appliances" and living as a serpent eyed, hairless nosferatu in a leather bodysuit, murdering with a gleaming, fluidly designed silver dagger with a weird name of import.

I think the bikers had something similar happen. the drugs hollowed and narrowed them, and made room for Something Worse to slither into the bodies they once occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

The impression I got if you want to take it more literally is that Sand finds out about the super pierce the veil of reality I can see everything LSD and uses it, but maybe like it doesn't quite work that well on everyone

This was my read. It seemed to be tied to a character's intent or purity of purpose, and just made them more of whatever they were inside, like how the super soldier serum affected Captain America, Red Skull, and Abomination differently.

Like imbibing is hitting a big red button that says "become fictional" and that affects everyone in a unique way

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"When, if at all, does the movie does explicitly cross the distinct line from just drug-induced hallucinations to the supernatural" is kind of beside the point, I think. It's depicting the aftermath of an era where the idea that psychedelic drugs could expand your consciousness and reveal previously unsuspected realms was treated as a perfectly plausible one; we're looking at a kind of magic realism, not conventional fantasy. The line between drugs and magic in Mandy doesn't exist.

This kind of "aftermath of the fallen Aquarian Age ideal" inspection is a theme in both of Panos' movies, I think.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Not really. At the end of the film, Red quotes Joseph Campbell by way of New Age ultra-kook Stanislav Grof.

Campbell said “the psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight”, to which Grof added that the mystical experience is often harrowing and not very delightful at all.

Grof pushed LSD experimentation as a means of becoming a “psychonaut” - accessing past lives, achieving ‘cosmic awareness’, reliving prenatal memories, contacting demons and UFOs, etc. Grof was an admirer of, for example, L. Ron Hubbard.

The joke at the end, of course, is that Red is so psychotic that he’s swimming - he’s actually achieved the ultimate mystical experience, making New Agers like Grof and Sand look like fuckin losers by comparison.

The difference between being a swimming mystic and a drowning psychotic is just how crazy you're willing to go on the way to reigning in hell

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Red doesn't actually travel to a different planet at the end.

Counterpoint: but what if he DID

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

felch me daddy jr. posted:

Probably the same reason that one dude demon chugs it quaffs deeply from his chalice of profane draught like it's beer vital for maintaining the mystical connection between his thrice-damned animus and the physical body he is possessing to pursue fleshly hedonism in the physical realm of mortals.

Ftfy

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

When are you gonna stop cokeposting on these forums and just write an apeshit movie for us to watch and enjoy

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Interesting analysis about the starlings. I also noticed the evocation of Clarice's monologue about the sound of screaming lambs in it, but totally blanked on the fact that Clarice's last name is Starling. That's a great bit of synchronicity.

However, I was speaking to someone who was dead set convinced that Mandy did join in with the other children and kill the starlings, and that the hesitation and pain in her voice when she says she ran is her lying, or editing history, or telling herself a story about what she wished had happened and the kind of person she wished she had been, or being too ashamed to tell Red what she had done, or all of the above, and now that scene has become a lot more ambiguous for me. In fact, the whole movie has, because that scene is so unique and full of portent and so out of the blue as to imply that it must be one of the major keys for exploring everything else in the film.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Captain Jesus posted:

[I didnt like Red] screaming about his shirt getting ripped or snapping that guy's neck as if he was a ragdoll.

"Ice cream is okay but I don't like how it's cold and sweet."

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Red tearfully confides to a xenomorph that he’s not ready to talk about his death wish

This is probably my favorite individual moment of the movie. It's such an unusual choice that I wonder if it was a Cage ad lib like the Bruce Lee Neck Snap Zoom.

I'm curious as to your thoughts regarding the idea that Mandy was lying about her treatment of the starlings. Does that change anything for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Cenobiker (concerned, as if to a friend) posted:

Ẏ̶̧̨̙̗̹̳̳̠̫̞̬͎̫͚͙̙̩̟̠̱̘̘̰͛͝ó̵̧͇͓̠̩̤̬͚̺͔̰̟̭̱̰̍̐̏̇͆̃̂̑̈̓̐̈̅͊̈́̍̓̚u̸̢̨̨̜͔̺͚̫̟̒̈̋̍̂̅͜ ̴̨̡͍̳͕͍͎͖̤͉̰̻͇͑̃́͐̑͗͊͋̀̚͜͜͠ͅͅḩ̵̛̙̰͇̺̞̟̦̈́̒̉̃́͠a̷̢͚̮̠̥̥̞̔̒̽̑̃̓̈́̽̌͌̍͑̂̉̋̾́̓̎̚͜ṽ̵̛̟̰̪͇̪̺͔̭̥͓̲̯̟̮̥͉̼̣̩̗̱̈́̓̈͌͊̂̔̊e̸̢̥͕̦̻͎̟̰̼͕͚̟͕̹̙̻̥̼̪͇͊̈́̌̆̒͗̾͜ ̶̧̧̘̲̝͇̮̦̰̻͔͕̥̯̠̭̟̙͋̇̎͒̇̅̓͑̅͋͂͆̈̐̀̃́͠a̵͓̠̹̫̖̓ͅ ̵̛̥̮̺̓̔̆͊̓͊̔̉͆͌́̐̊̈́̈́̕͝͝d̸̛͍̽̂͋̀͋͊̓͋̿͊̇̓̂̊̓̃̍̔́̓̚ę̵̜̼͇̭͙͚̱͔̍͛̂̉̕̕ạ̵̡̨̤̭͇̰͓̙͎̼̩͉̬̪̣̞̩̝͙̰̊͗͂̈͐̊́͐̂̽̈́̀͌̒̓̅̏̏́̎̕t̸̨̥̦̩̬̻̦̱̳̱̞̠̍h̵̡̛͍̦͍͈̹̼͔̱̙̼̝͍̜̼̅́́̾̎͂͒̀́̈́̀̒̈͌̇̈́̂̕͜͠ẇ̷̜̫̜̗̱͋͒̇̀̅̿̔͐͒̽̈́̂̄̓͂̔̈́̚͘̕ĩ̸̭͈͕́̎̎̂̽͛̂̀̐̽̽̆̐s̶̭͕̺̣̮̽̐͗͆̊̿͐̀̈̽́̊͆̐̍̂͒̈́̚̚͝ḣ̶͖̱̻̤͒̾́͛̏́̇́̐̈́̊̑͂̓̉̓̓͐͘͜.̴̢̛̯̹̖̖̩͍̈̑͗̋̿̂͐̊̈́͊͗̈́̾͐̃̒̀̈́̚

Red (sobbing, conversationally) posted:

I don't wanna talk about that!