Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just watched this. I was super into it until Cage starts his revenge journey. Then it became predictable and the movie felt like it was rushing through the inevitable after it had spent so much time slowly building this dreamy mood. There's also a big tonal shift that's kicked off by the goblin commercial. After that, it felt far less serious and more like a comic book than any superhero movie ever has, for better or worse, and I found myself becoming much less interested. By the time he was forging his axe, I was getting slight Kung Fury vibes, which ain't a good thing. It's still a good movie, and the first half is amazing, but it's got some tonal and pacing issues that kept it from being consistently great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The chainsaw gag is straight out of Phantasm II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAz6ip1WK08&t=32s

There's a lot of pretty overt references to horror and fantasy movies throughout the film, Hellraiser, Friday the 13th, Heavy Metal, Jodorowsky, etc. It's like he put them all in a blender. But it's done in a more loose fantastical way rather than something using them as ingredients in a very specific way, like say Stranger Things.

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 17, 2018

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Horn of Abraxas

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The only thing I don't like about the soundtrack is that it doesn't have Sand's cheesy flower power ballad on it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Pirate Jet posted:

Weird question but is there any nudity in this movie? I’m not a perv, but I plan on taking a friend who’s a sexual abuse survivor, and even scenes of nudity can freak her out a little. I’d just check the MPAA but it’s not even rated.

You get a Linus Roache full frontal for a minute or so.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Free Drinks posted:

I know that there aren't many people that will have a HD version yet, but would anyone be able to get a HD capture of this shot?

Out of a film with a lot of beautiful shots I think this is my favorite. Combined with the music sting it's just such a eerie image.

as good as i could get

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So I went ahead and uploaded a shitload of high quality screenshots from Mandy, in case anybody else wanted some.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Free Drinks posted:

Noooooooooooooo. I finally put it together where I knew Linus Roache from. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf4v-3JdE6I

Now i can't separate it. Boooooo Dick Wolf. BOOOOOOO.

In my case, I recognized Roache pretty quickly. I've always thought he was just so-so as an actor, and a weaker replacement for Waterston on L&O, but now I'll never look at him the same after Mandy. In a movie full of good stuff, his performance is the highlight for me.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah the ashen remains of her face still look like her before they're blown to dust by the wind.

I understand some hesitation to fully buy in, though. I still had a tiny inkling in the back of my mind that Cosmatos might try to pull a switch. When Red confronts the cenobite by the fire, dude says "she's still... " and for a moment, I expected him to say "alive". So when he said "she's still burning", it was like gently caress ok.

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 2, 2018

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Coffee And Pie posted:

The Beast is looking good, but there’s still a long way to go

Nice.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Mandy had a budget of less than $10mil, so it's nice to see it doing well. Hopefully Cosmotos can write his own check and make more than one film per decade now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, Instead of Netflix introducing more people to Mandy, I like the idea of Mandy introducing more people to Shudder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Wish there was a full transcript of the pages shown from Seeker of the Serpent's Eye. That one passage that Mandy reads from is surprisingly well written for what's supposed to be a trashy paperback.

I thought the same thing. It really made me want to read it. Here's the best we got.