Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Enos Cabell posted:

It counts, you just have to sit on one hand for 20 minutes until it goes numb first.

got any sevens posted:

Ugh i somehow twisted my arm under my pillow while sleeping last night and woke up with it numb from the elbow down, had to shake it around to prove it wasnt broken
That happened to me last month too
Numbness is srs bznus

stop reading the thread in your sleep hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Not really. At the end of the film, Red quotes Joseph Campbell by way of New Age ultra-kook Stanislav Grof.

Campbell said “the psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight”, to which Grof added that the mystical experience is often harrowing and not very delightful at all.

Grof pushed LSD experimentation as a means of becoming a “psychonaut” - accessing past lives, achieving ‘cosmic awareness’, reliving prenatal memories, contacting demons and UFOs, etc. Grof was an admirer of, for example, L. Ron Hubbard.

The joke at the end, of course, is that Red is so psychotic that he’s swimming - he’s actually achieved the ultimate mystical experience, making New Agers like Grof and Sand look like fuckin losers by comparison.

Whole generations of metalheads would proceed to crave, but never achieve, the experience of being an actual berserker.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Free Drinks posted:

That may be the meaning behind it, but I was more referring to the question that's been asked over and over in the thread, "is the crazy poo poo we are seeing because of drugs, or is it supposed to be real?". The answer is ambiguous, the audience wasn't intended to walk away knowing it to be one or the other. Just knowing that Red was corrupted by the events and had surpassed Sand and the others physically and spiritually.

A mystical experience is not necessarily objectively supernatural. From your pick of empiricist, rationalist, or positivist perspectives, none are.