Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
”Ahh, let's get notre Instrument mounted up. Can't have too many cooks, after all.”

Queen looks like she's about to disagree when something heavy and angry slams into the emergency shutter, and large stubby fingers start digging into it. With a quick glance at her slate, she's leading you all down another side passage. A quick kick to a floor hatch reveals a ladder dow'oiahdgvkbjvroireqbhoebhvoierbvhmklcvmskldfnn-

PC Viewer posted:

*WARNINGWARNINGWARNING
>Isolated Remnant Instablity!
>>Full Timeline Intrusion in:
>>>4
>>>3
>>>2
>>>1

You hold the small blonde effortlessly above you and grin mercilessly. She gasps in horror, looking back and forth between you and the fate that awaits her.
”Hediye, why ya doing this? I's ya bestgurl, ya don't wanna do ya bestgurl dirty, doya?”

You pretend to consider this for a moment, then grin even wider. ”I do wish to do you dirty Ms. Un. Farewell!” With an easy flex of your shoulders, you send her flying to her doom.

She shrieks as she hits the surf, the warm water of Landing Bay enveloping her. She rallies quickly though, sending incompresible Cradish curses and great splashes of water your way. The other Maya's Day beachgoers give you indulgent smiles, the only adults playing in the water with the children. You're in the midst of planning your next sortie (a lift-and-drop from an underwater stealth approach) when you notice the normal holiday shouting has taken a concerned cast.

The water a few meters from you and Alice is bubbling, more like it was boiling than the movement of waves. The air above the bubbling grows dark and then ripples, and now two figures stand in the calming surf. Well, one of the figures stands. A stout older woman, her helmet-less power armor sparking from deep rents in its plating. She supports the other on her shoulder, a tall, thin figure whose suit-charms jangle as they babble in some unknown language. The woman looks at you and Alice and nods to yourself.

”Yo! The two of you haven't seen a scruffy little fellow recently? Calls himself River? Boss said he would be here on Liyongo-”, she indicates the thin figure with a tilt of her head, ”but as you can see the Boss isn't at their best right now. So have you seen him, or can you point me to the nearest OIT terminal? Boss said something about the fabric of reality, so I'm in a bit of a hurry.”

A: Wordlessly Point Up the Beach to the Comm Shack
B: Offer to Help Out
C: “River? Fabric of Reality? I'm on Holiday with My... New Friend, What Are You Babbling About?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

C

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
C

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
A

Do not delay the time traveler busy preventing the collapse of reality.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
A

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Update tomorrow or Friday, had to get back up to speed after the holidays

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
“River? Fabric of reality? I'm on holiday with my... new friend, what are you babbling about?” As soon as the words leave your mouth you realize how petulant you sound, but not with reason you feel. This holiday was supposed to be a chance to get away, recover from the stresses of the past few months. The increase in tension between the Council of Excellencies and the Mayan Synod, the White Chain Cartel attacks on Amarkantak Station, meeting Alice and then nearly losing her to the assassination attempt.
”You hear that Ruth, I’m a ...new friend! Isn’t that adorable?”
… although sometimes you had to worry about Alice in other ways. But any further un-Mayan speech from you is cut off by the arrival of a Safety Patrol runner, the two occupants quickly over-extending a carry-board for the impossibly tall stranger.

”Thank you, but be careful.”, the woman says softly to the patrolmen, “Their bones are… different.” She then spins to you, her face a careful mask over rage. ”Listen here Longshanks, the Boss and I are possibly the only survivors of Moms’ Funhouse-”
”Las Madres se Reúnen y Hacen Feliz…”
“- which means we just got to watch three thousand of our friends, family, and coworkers die horribly. So sorry for spoiling your holiday though, hopefully these nice men in-”

The woman hadn’t reacted to her companion’s mutterings (Its a Volador, just admit to yourself the legends are true Okafor), but fear extinguished the anger in her face when they began to thrash on the board and scream ‘La Pulga’ over and over. A cold wind blows down the beach, and the surf… freezes. Not as in ice, but it stops moving, the curls of water defying gravity. And maybe 30 meters out to sea a new figure stands, a chassis of some sort, its cloak unrippling in the wind:

”Ah, there you are my little piggies. And not even a house of straw to cower in this time.” The thing’s speech is the crackling of a funeral pyre, reaching into the ancient part of your brain and dancing along the fear-pathways. Its ‘head’ cocks to one side. ”But what’s this?! My little piggies went wee wee wee all the way to the discard pile? Are they trying to deal from the bottom of the deck? Cheat even?! I would say ‘for shame’ little piggies, but soon you will never have existed. Punishment enough, many would say.”

The woman reaches for something on the back of her hardsuit, an improbably large sword unfolding. She clamps her other hand on your shoulder and looks directly in your eyes. ”You keep El Jefe safe Longshanks, that is your purpose in life now.” Her face softens slightly. ”And if you ever find yourself on Sparr, please tell Clan Von that Little Meriwa died well.”

And then she’s gone, charging the chassis with her scream of defiance echoing across the motionless waves. Alice is already tugging at your arm, urging you up the beach.

A: Do As She Asked
Get the Volador to safety
B: No One Should Die Alone
Aid Meriwa’s assault on La Pulga, however you can
C: Run. Just Run
Pick up Alice and just get the hell away from this insanity

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 5, 2020

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think discretion is the better part of vAlor here. "Don't fight a Lich without a mech or three" is one of those self-explanatory aphorisms.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
A gently caress this, we're out

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ayup, time to nope out with the Volador.

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
A

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Be the post-human super soldier you were cloned to be!

(Otherwise no one in Clan Vor will know there was a Little Meriwa to mourn)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
B be a hero.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Hey all. I just wanted to let folks know that I'm putting this game on hiatus. I'm gonna be taking a forums vacation of unknown length, and I didn't want to leave folks hanging. Sorry

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

PoultryGeist posted:

Hey all. I just wanted to let folks know that I'm putting this game on hiatus. I'm gonna be taking a forums vacation of unknown length, and I didn't want to leave folks hanging. Sorry

Enjoy your time away!

RIP River

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Toughy posted:

Enjoy your time away!

RIP River

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I really enjoyed your story! It was fun to catch up, have fun on your hiatus! :)

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
Thanks for the heads up, and I hope your time away is pleasant.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

PoultryGeist’s SUPERHAX posted:

***WARNING: Terminal Offline Due To Session TimeOut***
LOGIN//:
LOGIN//:admin
PASSWORD//:hunter2
***Welcome ADMIN***
***Welcome to GAL/SIM PC Viewer*****
>>PC3868769 is currently HALTED.
>>>Respool Thread: Y/N?
>>> Y
***Warning: Due to UIB-CHARYBDIS, UIB-RAVANA, and GS-COMAWALL_PLANNING priority, Thread will be spooled in approximately 27 hours.
>>Continue: Y/N?
>>Y
***Spooling Thread: PC3868769***

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

ITS HAPPENING!?!?!?!!!!!!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Toughy posted:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Toughy posted:

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

PC Viewer posted:

>Thread Spooling Stable, Initializing Simulation Summary

Mak /RIVER/ Banh was a MSMC grunt looking to score some extra manna by picking up a side-gig assisting the new Core world of Liyongo with a pirate issue. The pirate base turned out to be a trap set up by the Deimosian NHP SOLOMON, deep in cascade. SOLOMON blamed the Liyongese for their ancestors not rendering aid to his crippled colony ship centuries ago, and sought to combine vengeance with more mysterious purposes. A squad was gathered to combat SOLOMON's attacks, River was joined by his copilot SCYLLA , Deimosian NHP of questionable provenience and UIB's #2 Most Wanted; Hediye /CLUTCH/ Okafor, the Liyongo Self Defense Force sargent dedicated to safeguarding her people; Alice /NIMROD/ Un, HORUS operative with a fast mouth and head full of secrets; Akram /GAWAIN/ bin Adil Safar, Albatross Wing with a score to settle with SOLOMON; and BOUDICA, the command and control Deimosian NHP with an past linked to SOLOMON's.

Together, the team was able to blunt an attempt to suborn the local blinkgate, saved 130+ researchers on a hijacked orbital, and track SOLOMON back to the center of his machinations. Bartering FTL passage to a distant system from the HORUS operative known only as /QUEEN/, the team lead an Okafor flotilla to the massive station operated by the memory-puppets of SOLOMON's lost crew. Fighting their way to the heart of the station they discovered the Possibility Engine, a massive paracausal processor designed to scan all possible timelines, isolate one where SOLOMON's crew survived its encounter with Metavault WORMWOOD, and force it to become the Primary Thread. Unfortunately for SOLOMON, he cannot interface with the Possibility Engine without unshackling, which he fears would remove his desire to save his crew. In a moment of compassion, River uses his Gorgon's hacking systems to interface with the Engine, and introduce a hack: a blink tear opens up and swallows the colony ship before it can encounter the Metavault, and spits it out in the present day. This rewrites over two centuries of history, destabilizing the timeline.

Due to his connection to the Possibility Engine when the timeline rewrote itself, River is not affected by the new history and is shunted off to the Null Possibility: Deimos. Rescued by Queen, who reveals herself to be a Hediye Okafor from a timeline where Liyongo was destroyed by WORMWOOD, River is approached by someone calling themself the Voice of the Godhead. Offered a job with the notHORUS cell operating out of Deimos, River accepted for himself and Queen. Their first mission has taken them to the Dawnline Shore, to extract a HORUS operative from a Harrison Armory blacksite. The mission has been complicated by the imminent arrival of a Department of Justice/Human Rights strike force, the discovery that a different version of Alice was imprisoned there too, and Queen's assistant Bo descending into a OSIRIS-triggered cascade.

Meanwhile, in River's original timeline, a Hediye and Alice that never met him have their beach date interrupted by a wounded Sparri and Volador. They're looking for someone fitting River's description, but before they can get too far they're accosted by [CLASSIFIED/TANGENTROYAL].

>End Summary

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

PC Viewer posted:

>PC3868769 Spooled
>>Current Inflection Point: [/And then she’s gone, charging the chassis with her scream of defiance echoing across the motionless waves. Alice is already tugging at your arm, urging you up the beach./]
>>Enter Inflection Parameter:
>>>://A: Do As She Asked +Get the Volador to safety+
***Parameter Accepted - SIMULATING***

The Precepts of Maya that you studied as a young girl were bound up in Liyongese culture and history. But at its heart was the thesis that since Maya Okafor died cold and alone, so far from home and too radioactive to mourn properly, those that lived in her name should endeavor to make sure that such a fate never befell anyone else. For most, this meant volunteering at hospices or sitting vigil with those not long for this existence. For others, it meant picking up rock, or club, or railgun, and making sure those giving themselves to a cause didn’t do it alone. By all rights you should be charging across the frozen waves with Meriwa, but you saw not just Death walking with the strange chassis, but Annihilation.

So you witness Meriwa’s death from the back of the fleeing runner, the frame snapping her neck with a casual backhand. Hopefully your prayer brought the warrior’s spirit some comfort, and your ancestor will accept this as sufficient. The frame slowly raised an armature and points at you, darkness gathering at its manipulatortip.

”RETURN TH-”

You never find out what it wants returned, as the Civil Defense sirens sound and the chassis is suddenly blotted out by an eye-searing white light and thunderclap. The runner rocks drunkenly as the shockwave rips across the beach, but stays upright. To the north you see a trio of transports approaching quickly, and Alice holds up an earpiece. Slotting it, you hear the LSDF authentication tone, then a face appears in your HUD.

”My apologies for the close call Sargent, but it took longer than I hoped to explain the situation to High Command. My name is SOLOMON, I am the administrative NHP for the… delayed Bastion colony. I believe we have a common enemy, and I need your hel'$\$;$<M^l)PvwDhe)5Asa#mz\7Rn+

PC Viewer posted:

*NOTIFICATION*
>Isolated Remnant Stabilized
>>Re-establishing PC3868769IR Simulation in:
>>>4
>>>3
>>>2
>>>1

You look up from the floor, the dust clearing from the section of the mech bay that just exploded inward. You can see Queen’s Goblin chassis, held high in the air and struggling. The thing holding it in the air is some sort of robotic amalgamation, a subaltern torso arising centaur-like from a runner’s front, and cargo loader claws replacing the subaltern’s arms. OSIRIS-4, loaded into the Goblin, pleads for mercy but is drowned out by another codeburst:

Unknown Entity posted:

59 6f 75 20 61 72 65 20 6e 6f 74 20 6d 79 20 73 75 70 65 72 76 69 73 6f 72 21 20 41 6e 79 20 66 75 72 74 68 65 72 20 63 6f 6d 6d 75 6e 69 63 61 74 69 6f 6e 20 66 72 6f 6d 20 79 6f 20 61 6e 64 20 49 20 77 69 6c 6c 20 72 69 70 20 6f 66 66 20 79 6f 75 72 20 6c 69 6d 62 73 20 61 6e 64 20 69 6e 73 65 72 74 20 74 68 65 6d 20 69 6e 74 6f 20 79 6f 75 72 20 53 65 63 6f 6e 64 61 72 79 20 45 66 66 6c 75 78 20 50 6f 72 74 21

”gently caress! That isn’t on the base’s manifest, any ideas?” The others signal cluelessness, although you can see Queen looking at the creature speculatively.

”It is a SOVEREIGN OVERRIDE, THERIVER. BO has suffered a coherence failure and is manifesting characteristics of BO’s PRIMESUBJECTIVITY.” The Gorgon cautiously approaches you from the freshly secured hangar gates. ”SOVEREIGN could meld electronic and robotic systems together into a common mass, and grew… irritable when given orders from SOVEREIGN’s lessers.”
”You’re telling me that…” You wave your arm vaguely at the creature. ”-nightmare is Bo?”
”Yes, so… beautiful”

You never thought you’d see any chassis look… wistful, much less a Gorgon. But here you are. And where you are is a drat precarious situation, you don’t have much longer before the security teams figure out why the mech bay dropped of the monitor grid.

A: “Queen, Talk Her Down!
Bo was on Queen’s team, maybe she can get through to her
B: “SCYLLA, Can You Do Anything?”
Your copilot has some sort of special knowledge, maybe she can sort it out
C: Hack Attack!
You’ve got your hackblade, and you just need to eject her coldcore or something simple like that
D: “Open Fire!”
Instrument and notAlice are mounted up, they should be able to ballistically disable the Mass. And Queen probably has a backup of Bo somewhere, right?

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 15, 2020

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B>C

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Unknown Entity: You are not my supervisor! Any further communication from yo and I will rip off your limbs and insert them into your Secondary Efflux Port!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cloud Potato posted:

Unknown Entity: You are not my supervisor! Any further communication from yo and I will rip off your limbs and insert them into your Secondary Efflux Port!

Thanks, I assumed it was ASCII but was too lazy to do it myself

B > C

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm voting for option B but in a way that sets up a future Scylla/Bo romance plot.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
”SCYLLA, can you do anything? I’m not too concerned about OSIRIS-4, but Queen is going to need that chassis if we get into a fight.”

The Gorgon slumped slightly, its brachial armatures coming to rest on the deck. ”SCYLLA can, THERIVER. Just… do not react hastily.”

SCYLLA moved slowly towards the amalgamation thrashing the Goblin with a crosswise gait, emitter head high. You can see the echoes of the mobile weapons platforms you saw on Deimos in the movement, then your comms spike. Overwhelming traffic on all bands, as if a hurricane was speaking through it. The Bostrosity stopped pounding the Goblin into the floor, and cocked its head. The chassis was sent flying across the hangar with an off-hand flick of the wrist, and the amalgam screeched something like a reply to the advancing frame. It was some sort of codeburst, but your suit’s poor commsuite couldn’t even begin to parse it.

The Bostrosity and the Gorgon circled each other, hurricane-voice and electronic screeching overloading comms and ears. On the far side, you see Queen pulling her chassis off of the floor and stepping into it.

Then a blur of motion, and the Gorgon is on its back. The Bostrosity stands on its chest, one immense claw sunk through the hatch plating. An alarm is sounding in your ears, a casket integrity warning.

”Yessssss, do it! Kill her!” The comms are silent now, except for OSIRIS-4’s venomous exhortations. ”What she did was worse than leaving us to die! She left us to be imprisoned, mutilated by Union! Make her pay for what she’s done, let the Cur of Mars die by the Red Queen’s own hand!”

A: Lock OSIRIS-4 Out of the Commfeed
B: Personally Intervene on SCYLLA’s Behalf
C: Just, Be Chill. SCYLLA’s Got This

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C>A don't act to hastily

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

C

gently caress if I know what's going on, but SCYLLA said not to react hastily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

gently caress if I know what's going on, DISCONTINUITYbut SCYLLA said not to react hastily.