Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Kalli posted:

Let's see.. the most gently caress defense team of each year:

2016: Falcons 1st / 7th / 26th
2015: Bills 9th / 24th / 12th
2014: Steelers 2nd / 12th / 30th or Saints 7th / 11th / 31st
2013: Chargers 2nd / 15th / 32nd
2012: n/a
2011: Packers 1st / 8th / 25th, Saints 2nd / 12th / 28th, Patriots 3rd / 5th / 30th.

Coincidentally basically all these teams were in the top 10, showing yeah, offense is more important then defense now. Schatz has mentioned in the past it used to be 3 parts offense, 3 parts defense, 1 part ST, and now it's closer to 4 O / 3 D / 1 S.

Wait, how do the Bills fit this at 12th? Also how were they 12th? Didn’t Rex start sticking his grubby hands into what should have been a great defense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

latinotwink1997 posted:

Wait, how do the Bills fit this at 12th? Also how were they 12th? Didn’t Rex start sticking his grubby hands into what should have been a great defense?

A typo I think. Looks like they were 9th offensively, 12th at special teams and 24th defensively in 2015.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I never will forgive rex for ruining that defense. If you would have told me the offense would be way more productive and Rex Ryan was taking over the defense I would have thought they would be at least a playoff team.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Chris James 2 posted:

gently caress I'd never spit out coffee before. Water and soda but never coffee
I do my best

Yeah Steelers fans will never not be a blight and embarrassment to our city, so many goddamn CHUDs.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
I just wanted to say that this is a great thread title.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

cavallingus posted:

Speaking as someone who used to work alongside rocket scientists, they're not really that bright outside of their field

Nobody knows a god drat thing outside of the extremely narrow field they've dedicated their lives to being experts on.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
And LOL if actually know anything about even that. I'm just a very tall baby myself.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Neither the Steelers nor the Patriots will stop winning a lot of games. The Steelers won't beat the Patriots as per usual -- they have superior coaching and system. The Steelers draft better, so even with inferior coaching and drama, they won't be a basement dweller. Some old as Spring

Saying you draft better than the Patriots doesn't mean the Steelers are good at drafting. They've been bad at it the last few years, even if they aren't at the Pats level.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Yeah, Juju, TJ Watt, James Conner, James Washington are consensus bad picks from just the last 2 years

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

cavallingus posted:

Speaking as someone who used to work alongside rocket scientists, they're not really that bright outside of their field

I work in a literal rocketship factory. Rocket scietists can be really loving dumb about things essential to their discipline, such as the industrial processes necessary to make those rockets.

sirtommygunn posted:

Nobody knows a god drat thing outside of the extremely narrow field they've dedicated their lives to being experts on.

Specialization is for insects.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Three starters out of two drafts ain't great, especially if one if them is only playing because someone is holding out.

And uh James Washington has one catch.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I only mentioned the stars, friend

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is there numbers on it? I thought BB was one of the worst drafters in the league, but he gets amazing production of out veteran free agents and trades?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Three starters out of two drafts ain't great,

strongly disagree

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cavallingus posted:

That's the case with a lot of doctorate level people. They spent so much time learning their craft that everything else slid out of their mind.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DariusLikewise posted:

Is there numbers on it? I thought BB was one of the worst drafters in the league, but he gets amazing production of out veteran free agents and trades?

This is part of it, but he also simply picks more often than everybody else by trading draft picks to get more and/or higher picks later, and by gaming the comp pick system to get as many high comp picks as possible.

In free agency he applies the same basic philosophy, he just spams cheap moves *constantly*, and every once in a while gets a hit for virtually no cost. Sometimes they make a big move but it's rare.

e: Josh Gordon is the ultimate Patriots move and people acting like it's not :911: PATRIOTS WAY :911: are idiots. Gordon is cheap, and it's theoretically possible for him to be good, and that's all that matters.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 19, 2018

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Bills have six starters from their past two drafts!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

The Bills have six starters from their past two drafts!

I think that says more about the Bills roster than the picks.

Nov 6, 2002

I would wager to say that Belichick's very poor recent selections at the top of the draft probably cost the team a Lombardi when you consider how much success they had in the last five years and how much better they *could* have been if they had one or two more blue chip players.

Recent history:

2017 1st - Traded for Brandon Cooks, SHOULD HAVE KEPT HIM BILL
2017 3rd - Derek Rivers, tore ACL in camp
2017 3rd - Antonio Garcia, got sick, never played, not even on a team
2016 2nd - Cyrus Jones, return man who specialized in fumbling, never contributed
2016 3rd - Joe Thuney, reliable guard
2016 3rd - Jacoby Brissett, should have kept him or Jimmy G
2016 3rd - Vincent Valentine, mediocre DT, missed all of 2017 with injury
2015 1st - Malcolm Brown, just a guy
2015 2nd - Jordan Richards, massive reach, not on the team
2015 3rd - Geneo Grissom, DE fodder
2014 1st - Dominique Easly, a guy with no functioning knees
2014 2nd - Jimmy G, should have kept him or Jacoby!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I would wager to say that Belichick's very poor recent selections at the top of the draft probably cost the team a Lombardi when you consider how much success they had in the last five years and how much better they *could* have been if they had one or two more blue chip players.

Recent history:

2017 1st - Traded for Brandon Cooks, SHOULD HAVE KEPT HIM BILL
2017 3rd - Derek Rivers, tore ACL in camp
2017 3rd - Antonio Garcia, got sick, never played, not even on a team
2016 2nd - Cyrus Jones, return man who specialized in fumbling, never contributed
2016 3rd - Joe Thuney, reliable guard
2016 3rd - Jacoby Brissett, should have kept him or Jimmy G
2016 3rd - Vincent Valentine, mediocre DT, missed all of 2017 with injury
2015 1st - Malcolm Brown, just a guy
2015 2nd - Jordan Richards, massive reach, not on the team
2015 3rd - Geneo Grissom, DE fodder
2014 1st - Dominique Easly, a guy with no functioning knees
2014 2nd - Jimmy G, should have kept him or Jacoby!

:patssay: A decade 4 years of spectacular failure.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, that's the problem with trying to take a big picture view of draft picks. Because most bad teams will get more starts out of a draft then a good team, and you can't just use how a team's doing, because some teams will just coast off great top end talent for awhile until talent rot completely eats that away, looking at you pre-2016 Saints.

Also drafting is pretty random, and you don't really know if you killed a draft until 2-3 years after it happened, leading to the general consensus of how good a GM is almost always being a few years out of date. The best example here is probably Seattle, where they absolutely crushed 2011-2012, then had a bunch of mediocre to lousy drafts, and so they had a great run then petered out as those misses drained them of talent.

Belichick takes a lot more gambles then a GM typically should in the draft, because he has the roster / ability to risk it. Sometimes that works out great and you get a Gronk, sometimes you draft a guy with paper mache knees or a murder machine. All in all, he's probably an above an average drafter, just his last like 5 years of drafts had stuff like successful guards and other low-name recognition players, outside of the two QB's. Of course, he was crushing the drafts early in the decade, and so the Pats crazy success was helped a ton by that.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

That was my point. A little over a week ago, one of those draft pick starters was Nathan Peterman.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s way more that they have a system that allows mediocre JAGs succeed.

Every player that leaves NE gets worse. Minus Jimmy G who was... not really used. Traded based off potential.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

That was my point. A little over a week ago, one of those draft pick starters was Nathan Peterman.

It was a solid point my dude :respek:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Every player that leaves NE gets worse. Minus Jimmy G who was... not really used. Traded based off potential.

I think a part of this also is the Patriots get guys for cheap, and just use them in small roles they are really good at (or cut them and we forget about them.) Like if you're a garbageman who can rush the passer as a nickel linebacker but have literally 0 other skills, they'll use you for 10 snaps a game of that and literally nothing else, and not care because you have a league minimum contract. Then they let them walk in free agency after getting 6 sacks in 8 games and somebody makes them a 50 snaps a game player and the Pats get a comp pick and the guy is a big so what.

Nov 6, 2002

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yes, but the system is putting JAGs with a HoF quarterback, which is what makes the coaching staff's idea that they don't need Brady hilarious.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah that makes a lot of sense actually

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A.o.D. posted:

I work in a literal rocketship factory. Rocket scietists can be really loving dumb about things essential to their discipline, such as the industrial processes necessary to make those rockets.

Specialization is for insects.

you sound bitter

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it's a good reminder that the comp pick system is just busted and exploited by good teams to get free draft capital. Just replace it with an 8th round of the draft.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

Yeah, that's the problem with trying to take a big picture view of draft picks. Because most bad teams will get more starts out of a draft then a good team, and you can't just use how a team's doing, because some teams will just coast off great top end talent for awhile until talent rot completely eats that away, looking at you pre-2016 Saints.

Also drafting is pretty random, and you don't really know if you killed a draft until 2-3 years after it happened, leading to the general consensus of how good a GM is almost always being a few years out of date. The best example here is probably Seattle, where they absolutely crushed 2011-2012, then had a bunch of mediocre to lousy drafts, and so they had a great run then petered out as those misses drained them of talent.

Belichick takes a lot more gambles then a GM typically should in the draft, because he has the roster / ability to risk it. Sometimes that works out great and you get a Gronk, sometimes you draft a guy with paper mache knees or a murder machine. All in all, he's probably an above an average drafter, just his last like 5 years of drafts had stuff like successful guards and other low-name recognition players, outside of the two QB's. Of course, he was crushing the drafts early in the decade, and so the Pats crazy success was helped a ton by that.

Right, he's missing a bit in drafts, but there's more to being a competent GM than drafting well, and being the coach and GM at the same time gives him a lot more freedom to bring in guys that fit specific roles. Players are mostly plug'n'play for him, so he just gets tons of free draft picks for letting free agents walk, which... I mean god drat, the guy just knows what he's doing.

Of course Brady taking massive pay cuts to free up cap space for free agents helps a lot. IDK what the NFLPA should do about that, or if they should, but that's a raw deal for the other 31 teams.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 19, 2018

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The NFL PA should actually punish them for the blatant cap circumvention but that’s just me

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Right, he's missing a bit in drafts, but there's more to being a competent GM than drafting well, and being the coach and GM at the same time gives him a lot more freedom to bring in guys that fit specific roles. Players are mostly plug'n'play for him, so he just gets tons of free draft picks for letting free agents walk, which... I mean god drat, the guy just knows what he's doing.

Of course Brady taking massive pay cuts to free up cap space for free agents helps a lot. IDK what the NFLPA should do about that, or if they should, but that's a raw deal for the other 31 teams.

To be fair, for like 3 years all that cap savings was used up on Aaron Hernandez's dead money :v:

But yeah, from watching how Belichick works the draft my general thoughts are teams undervalue middling veterans, teams lose tons of roster talent when they fire coaches and install a new system, and the comp pick system has been completely perverted and has to change.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Amy Pole Her posted:

The NFL PA should actually punish them for the blatant cap circumvention but that’s just me

I'm with ya on it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

carry on then posted:

you sound bitter

Frustrated, mostly. This project isn't doing well, and even though I have no skin in the game, I'm a strong supporter of manned spaceflight. I hate to see the project so poorly sheparded.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I only mentioned the stars, friend

You mentioned TJ Watt, who is average at best except when he gets most of his stats for the season when he plays the Browns.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

MrLogan posted:

You mentioned TJ Watt, who is average at best except when he gets most of his stats for the season when he plays the Browns.

The Jeremy Hill effect.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

MrLogan posted:

No one should listen to this person.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Jamal Lewis was the ultimate JAG who became the GOAT when he played the Browns

Nov 6, 2002

Oh poo poo Cyrus Jones just got signed back to New England from the Raven's practice squad. Redemption tour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Russell Wilson soft, confirmed

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/07/seattle-seahawks-dismantling-rift-russell-wilson-pete-carroll

• Locked thread