Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thank god, ive been adding a bunch to my streaming lists and my partner is mad at me for not letting us watch scary movies since I’ve been waiting for this. Going to set my goal for 31 but I expect to beat it. As with last year going to try and focus on stuff for my son, he’s 6 and so far pretty fearless, so I’ll try and find good ones we can watch together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

1- Winchester
Pretty mediocre, but it’s saved by some good performances. Helen Mirren is of course great as Lady Winchester, who has been behaving very erratically and keeping men working around the clock on her mansion, creating empty rooms, doors that don’t open, and stairs to nowhere, and Jason Clarke (who I’m seeing in more and more stuff and finding very dependable) is the psychiatrist sent out to evaluate her.
I’d say the biggest problem with this film is that it doesn’t know what it wants to be. It’s partially a character piece about Lady Winchester, part giant haunting film, part vengeful ghost story, but it never really settles down and picks what it wants to focus on.
It looks very good though, what story there is isn’t awful, and the two leads as I mentioned are both really good in their parts, so it’s not a total waste of time but not something I’ll ever watch again.

2- The Blackcoat’s Daughter

This was very good. I’d heard good things about it but didn’t really know what it was about, and I’d recommend going in fairly blind; this one goes in some interesting directions. I really loved the pacing of it, too; it’s very much a slow burn, but it feeds you just enough twists and hosed up bits to keep you engaged. This one I recommended for sure.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

3-Ernest Scared Stupid

I used to love Ernest movies when I was a kid, but I actually never finished this one because the troll scared the poo poo out of me. And I mean, in my defence:

The effects work on him is pretty great and he is scary as hell. Luckily my kid is considerably braver than I was at his age so he stuck it out.

As for the rest of the movie, I mean it’s an Ernest movie, you know what you’re going to get. I probably wouldn’t watch it myself as an adult, but it’s a good family pick. Also Earth Kitt is great in it.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 16, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wasn't thinking and packed all my movies away as we're moving November 1st. Had to hit up the storage locker today and managed to grab these

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

4-Angst

I have no idea where I heard of this movie, possibly from last year’s thread? In any case it had been in my list for a bit so we checked it out. I wouldn’t say I liked it, but it is pretty interesting. It’s essentially a straight forward home invasion story, but all told from the invader’s perspective.

It goes in some interesting directions, including spending a lot of time on the killer’s past, and focusing on his inner monologue and planning a lot. It’s also refreshing that he’s not omniscient at all; things go wrong frequently for him as he’s almost entirely impulse based and deals with thing on the fly.

One thing worth noting is the camera work though, as that’s quite interesting. There are a lot of extremely uncomfortable close ups, and a bunch of steadicam stuff. Beyond that though I’m not sure I’d recommend it unless you’re a big fan of the home invasion genre and want something a little different

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He’s Tarman. I’m prepared to die on this hill, come back to life, and eat your brains

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I really should rewatch Fido, it just didn’t stick with me the first time despite having such a great cast. It was filmed in the city where I grew up so I think I was mainly distracted by seeing parks I used to hang out in

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

5-Sleepaway Camp

A rewatch from one I haven’t seen in nearly two decades, and boy was it worth a rewatch. It’s a mostly by the numbers slasher film, boosted by some really effective makeup on the victims. What sets it apart is the ending, which I won’t spoil here. I’m sure most of you know it, but it’s one of those ones that really needs to be enjoyed as a surprise once if you can.
I love how it telegraphs the killer right from the start (despite trying the world’s weakest red herring), but then when you think you have it all figured out that last 2 minutes happens and hoo boy.
It was also worth a rewatch because man, I missed how insanely homoerotic thing movie is when I was younger, but on a rewatch it is overt.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Killer Klowns from Outer Space sitting in my PVR for a bit, would it be ok for a 6 year old or does it get super gorey/violent?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

6- Dog Soldiers

God I love this movie. I haven't watched it in years, and it never seems to be on anywhere, but I came across my old DVD and tossed it in.

This is the movie that taught me not to literally judge things by their covers. It looks and sounds stupid, but it's really just a tremendously fun romp. The effects aren't great,but they smartly hide the wolves more often than not. It's also helped by a "way better than the material deserves" cast, and being a Neil Marshall film.

It's a basic story; a bunch of friends are in the woods, and get attacked by werewolves. Instead of helpless teens, though, the friends are a troop of hard rear end Scottish soldiers there for an exercise. It's a testosterone fueled blast and I love the whole damned thing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

7- Castle Rock

I am both a huge King fan, and a big Lost apologist, so I’ve been looking forward to this since it came out. I agree with what others have said in that it kind of loses itself in the end, but I guess it’ll depend on how later seasons go (although I feel like they said it would be an anthology show).
Overall I really liked it, the only things I would complain about are not enough Terry O’Quinn, and hatever the hell was up with Scott Glenn’s hair

8- Timecrimes

This was another rewatch for me, but also one I haven’t seen in years and my partner wanted something a little more psychological tonight. I really love this one, it’s a criminally underrated thriller. It’s a Spanish film about a guy who witnesses some weird poo poo and then gets caught up in time travel, but I t’s one where it’s better to not know stuff ahead of time so I won’t get into too much of a synopsis beyond that.
Despite being about time travel, it’s very tightly plotted and small scale, and feel like a stretched out Twilight Zone episode. It also has one of my favourite movie scares (which the trailer spoils unfortunately), and then has a subversion of it later on in the film. Definitely recommend this one if you can find it (it’s on shudder)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

9- Elvira, Mistress of the Dark

Figured I’d check this one out since it’s the 30th anniversary today. It was good as long as you’re into it. It’s extremely corny and campy, and veeerrryyy 80s. I liked it, but I have a high tolerance for camp, and my deeply routed goth fever (which looking back, probably started with Elvira back in the 80s) added a lot to the enjoyment.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

10- The Predator

I think the thread has been a bit overly hard on this one. It was fun and entertaining, and did feel like a Shane Black movie, if not a very good one. That said, the story makes absolutely no sense at all if the predator was there to help humanity, why immediately start stringing people up as soon as he lands??? and it’s clearly just setting up a sequel that probably won’t happen. But I was entertained enough.
The one thing I find unforgivable though, is that at no point is the giant, suped up Predator called the Apex Predator and that’s just a shame

Anyways after that, I realized that while I’ve seen the first one and AvP numerous times, I’ve only seen 2 in bits and pieces and never anything from predators, so I tracked them down and had a Predator day.

11- Predator 2

A pretty great example of how to do a sequel right. The core story is mostly the same, with the requisite tough guy tracking down the Predator, but we trade the jungle for the city, up the body count, and expand the mythology. A classic.

12- Predators

One thing I dig about these movies is that everyone feels different and bigger, they don’t just make the same movie over and over and it works well. The first one is still my favourite, but this was probably the best of them from a technical standpoint. It looks great, and the cast is phenomenal.
The only real issue I had with it is that the beginning is too slow a burn; they keep building the mystery of where everyone is and what’s going on, but the viewers already know all that. If this were billed as something lee and then turned out to be a stealth predator movie that could work, but here it just feels like it’s dragging its feet for the first 30 min or so.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

13- Dogtooth

Faculty of Horror described Horror as “the breakdown of the mundane”, and I feel like few people get that like
Yorgos Lanthimos. Killing of a Sacred Deer was one of my favourites last year (and will likely get a rewatch for this challenge), and while The Lobster didn’t really hit me as hard it was still really good. Lobster also didn’t really fit the definition, as the entire world felt like it was as strange as the section we were seeing, whereas Deer gives the impression that while things are weird all over, the family it focuses on is weirder.
Dogtooth is much more explicitly a breakdown of the mundane; the normal world exists more or less as is outside, and it’s the family that’s bizarre.
I’m not really sure I can say much more about it. Not even in an “avoid Spoilers” way, I mean there’s just really no good way to describe this movie, because it’s weird as all hell. If you liked any of Lanthimoses other movies you’ll like this one, but I’m not sure it’d be a good place to start with his work.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Can we combine Fran challenges? Because I didn’t like a movie that was filmed in my old home town.

Also is it ok if I don’t live in a state you America-centric imperialists? :arghfist::canada:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

14- The Faculty

This was actually better than I expected. It’s real 90s, but the effects are decent, the cast is quite good, and the story was straight forward and fun. Maybe I liked it because my expectations were low, but I dug it. Story is pretty straight forward and old school; it’s basically Body Snatchers, alien invasion in a small town and a ragtag band of misfits needs to work together to stop it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I am thoroughly enjoying y’alls’ writeups, thanks for taking the time on them.

One request: can you post with your blurb where you found the movie? Netflix, prime, shudder, YouTube, dvd, etc?

VVVV: thanks so much, that's really helpful, I appreciate it.

I’d recommend JustWatch.com if you see something and want to find it, it’s a super useful resource

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

15-The Mummy Returns

I watched the first one with my son a couple months ago and this was finally on TV. It's a real mixed bag of quality compared to the first; it's a lot bigger and more action focused, with better performances all around (Voosloo in particular seems to be having a lot of fun in the role), but it's also considerably less scary than the first and probably a bit too big in scope. Between all that and the introduction of a plucky kid, it's pretty clear they were looking to expand the franchise with this one.
What's surprising is that for as big as this one is, the CGI is ROUGH, even compared to the first one. Not even "good for the time" as I remember people ragging on the Scorpion King even back then.
Although on that note, I feel like this The Rock guy might have a promising film career ahead of him!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

16- Monster Squad

This one has been on my list for a while; A nice, family friendly horror film! Man, the 80s sure were a different time. Lots of swearing, homophobic language, and a dash of sexual blackmail made this a bit tough to sit through.
It's fun otherwise and the make up work is good, but I can't say I'd recommend it here in 2018 or watch it again myself, bit too problematic

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I sort of feel like it's a toss-up with that movie, because... yes it's problematic, but it's also very very very accurate to how shithead kids act. Like even nowadays.

That was mainly why we figured we'd power though. I mean I don't want my kid to hear someone call someone else a human being at the best of times, but at least you can make the argument that it was done by a bully who gets his comeuppance

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

17- Little Shop of Horrors

Man I love this movie. It's a bit bittersweet though, really made me miss Rock Moranis, John Candy, and a Steve Martin who cares.
This is a great movie though. I love the music, I love the effects, I love the cast. There's really nothing about I don't like. And yes we stuck to the happy ending, I just like it better

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Time to bang out some challenges

#1: Love Something You Hate
18- Halloween (#1 for October so I’ll try to do 49 overall)

Sacrilege, I know, but the first time I saw this one it really didn’t stick with me. I appreciated as a cultural milestone and Donald Pleasance is fantastic, but I just didn’t care for it. The new one looks good though, so I thought I’d use this for the challenge, plus it’s just a good way to start October.
That would have been at least 5 years ago though, and on a rewatch I found it a lot more enjoyable. One thing that I didn’t really pay attention to the first time is just how well shot this movie is. The performances are also all quite good, and the score is of course amazing.
When I saw this the first time, I was right in the middle of a Carpenter phase and it’s definitely a lot more restrained than his other stuff, and I also saw it on amc which was edited, so I think I lost some context. I’m glad this was a challenge though because it brought me back around

#4: Worst of the Best / Best of the Worst
19-Event Horizon

This may be controversial here, as I know people do like the Resident Evil movies, but I’m pretty comfortable calling them out as garbage; The first one is decent but the sequels have all been beyond bad. Paul WS Anderson is a bad director (I will give him Mortal Kombat, but that’s not Horror), but Event Horizon is one of my favourites. I love the concept, I love the depiction of hell, and I love the melodrama that cast brings to it. Aside from some really awful cgi there’s just nothing I don’t like about this movie, and if you haven’t seen it yet I strongly recommend it. It’s one of best Lovecraft-like movies out there as well, and those can be hard to find.

#3: Hometown Horror
20-Lake Placid

This was already on my list to share with my son, as we watched Jaws not too long ago and he loved that, and turns out a lot of it was filmed on Vancouver Island where I live.
I had very fond memories of this movie, but I don’t think I’ve seen it since it came out and I would have been about 14. On a rewatch it is...not good. The effects are actually quite good, especially for the 90s, and it’s a really great cast, but they are working some truly terrible dialogue in a boilerplate story that just sort of ends abruptly. This one I should have left in the past.

#5: Birth of Horror
21-Ghostbuster 1984

Oh is it time to watch Ghostbusters again? This has been my favourite movie since I was 4 years old, I’ve seen it well over 100 times, and I’m well on the way to brainwashing my son into following my footsteps. It’s just a perfect movie, and I love how weird it is. You couldn’t make something like this now (as evidenced by the 2016 version which I wanted to love, and definitely don’t hate, but it just doesn’t stick the landing). I know every line and joke by heart and they still make me laugh. If the challenge was just to watch Ghostbusters 31 times I’d still do it every year.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fran Chalłenge 2: queer horror
22- XX

An anthology of four short films, with a Tool video for a framining device. The hook here is that they’re all directed by women.

I have to say I dug it, it’s rare to find an anthology without a weak link but these all had something going for them.you have: something that sounds like it came right from r/creepypasta, but one of the better ones; the one St Vincent did that’s basically a big setup to a punchline that was pretty worth it; a short little monster movie with some good makeup effects; and an anti christ bit told from the mothers perspective.
All of them were good and different from each other and I’m glad I finally checked it out as it’s been on my Netflix list since at least last year

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I went into this with low expectations, just throwing something on to kill some time with the boy, but this owns so much.
KISS all go by their stage names, and are in fact aliens with super powers who have opened a new theme park; A witch shows up so the gang comes to help. Penny and Gerry Marshall both have roles for some reason. Daphne tries to bone Paul Stanley. All the alien stuff is heavily Jack Kirby inspired.
It just gets progressively crazier and does not give a gently caress at all and it works.
Of course there winds up being a rational explanation for everything and Shaggy hallucinationed most of the weird poo poo, but it's a better movie if you turn it off at the concert scene

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 6, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

24 - Venom

I'm counting this one as it's pretty much a mix between a werewolf movie and an alien invasion movie.

That was a really fun movie. I went in with fairly low expectations but it was kind of a blast. Tom Hardy is channeling Nic Cage throughout and he really just makes the whole thing enjoyable but going all in; someone in the ComicBook movie thread called it "the superhero version of The Room" and that kind of nailed it. I also really liked how much weight they gave him; he moves like Spider-Man but leaves craters when he lands. The visual effects are all pretty good, although the villain is basically just "gray Venom" and could have used a little more flair.
Its not a great movie, but it's a good time for sure.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

25 - Paranorman

Laika’s forgotten middle child. While I think Kubo is a better film overall, I really really love this one. It looks gorgeous of course, but it’s also a really unique story with a great message, and a real love letter to zombie movies.
Norman is a young boy who can see and talk to the dead, and he gets caught up in an ancient curse. It starts out pretty boilerplate but it goes in some pretty different directions as things play out. It’s definitely geared towards a younger crowd but if you like Laika’s other films it’s worth checking out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

26-Annihilation

I’ve been looking forward to this for months but it was one of those “in one theatre for a single weekend and then vanishes” movies, so I was excited to see it pop up on Netflix. First things first it is a gorgeous movie; the lighting and colour palette are amazing and really drive the otherworldly beauty home. The story is also very interesting, and while it does have some ambiguity, I appreciated that it got pretty deep into answering some of its questions, mainly in the final 15 minutes which i believe was filmed by Aronfsky on mushrooms.
Also worth noting is that our focus is in a military team made up entirely of women, and unless I missed a line that’s never mentioned or treated as novel. The main character is there to help her husband, but beyond that the team is treated no differently than if it were all men, which was refreshing.
It’s a bit of a slow burn, especially at first, and will require a lot of suspension of disbelief, but it’s stunning and well acted, I recommend it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fran Challenge 6 video nasties
27 - Island of Death

I wasn’t super keen on this challenge as, as much as I’m a lifelong horror fan and do love slashers, I’m not a big gore hound. This one wasn’t too bad at least (well, it was bad, just not too gory).
Shudder Canada is about as bad as every other streaming service for content, so they actually only had three nasties; this, Tenebrae, and Cannibal Ferox. Ferox isn’t my thing and I wasn’t in the mood for a giallo so Island won.
A very strange couple goes to Mykonos and proceeds to gently caress and/or kill everyone, in a nutshell. It’s very poorly acted, and the story is paper thin, pretty much exactly what I just laid out without a lot of twists and turns (I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find out it was an excuse to have some producer pay a few buddies to take a trip to Greece). None of the kills are terribly interesting, and nothing really happens, and then it’s over.
I feel like this is one of those ones where if it weren’t on the Nasties list, it’d be forgotten and only available in some long lost video rental store in the middle of nowhere.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I got a Jason question. Maybe it'll be resolved in a future Part, but I'm asking it now. Was Jason really alive the whole time? Because that makes no sense, but it seems like it's what Part 2 was saying. But if you take the thing with child-Jason in Part 1 as being at least somewhat literal, and assume that Jason was at the bottom of the lake preserved by Lake Magic, and awoke when his mother died, wouldn't that make more sense? I know he gets at least a little magic in the later Parts, so magic can happen.

So was he alive and never drowned and the child-Jason scene is purely hallucination, or was he in the lake and the child-Jason scene was either actually real or a representation of him being awoken?

Yes

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FRAN CHALLENGE #8: Once In A Lifetime
28- Curse of the Were-Rabbit

This might be cheating, but it had 2 directiors listed; Nick Park who does all the Aardman stuff, and Steve Box who has done a lot of the back end stuff, but hasnt directed anything except this one.
If that's not good enough I'll hunt something else out.

In any case, if you've seen any Aardman stuff you know what what you're in for (and if you haven't, go see this right now it's on Netflix). Wallace and Gromit are a man and his dog; amateur inventors and, in this one, exterminators. An invention goes awry and turns Wallace into a were-rabbit, hijinks ensure. It's funny, charming, and good hearted as with all the Aardman stuff. Strong recommend, especially if you have kids (as much as I love sharing the more pg13 stuff with my son, it definitely feels like good parenting when I can go with something like this).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

29- Night of the Living Dead (68)

This has a very similar feel to Psycho, in that it created so many of the tropes that would define the entire genre for decades that it becomes predictable, to the point where even my 6 year old was calling out twists before they happened; BUT, like Psycho, it’s so damned good and finely crafted that it’s still enjoyable to watch today.
Yes stuff like White Zombie and Plan 9 were around before, but there’s no questions Romero created the Zombie genre as we know it today, and it’s easy to see why when watching how great this movie is. Also as much as I love a happy ending, I will always have a soft spot for the absolutely nihilistic bummer this goes out on.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fran Challenge #7: The World Is A Scary Place
30- Errementari: The Devil and the Blacksmith

A nice looking Spanish film that just popped up on Netflix. Its a bit of a fable about a blacksmith who's an outcast in his town, and who's hiding quite a secret.
Had a very Del Toro feel to it. It's a very nice looking film with a couple of cool sequences, but not much really happens and it drags a bit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FRAN CHALLENGE #10: Fear and Now
:spooky: 31 :spooky: Apostle

I really liked this one. I agree with other posters that it runs a bit long, but I don't know what I'd cut. All the little bits and pieces are important to fill in what's happening, and if anything I'd like that to have been fleshed out and given more room to breath. There's so much crammed in here but it's all good stuff, and I think it would have worked better in a 4-6 episode miniseries.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

32- Mom and Dad

Look, you either like watching Nic Cage go nuts for an hour and a half or you don’t, that’s basically going to determine how you feel about this one. Overall I wasn’t too thrilled by it; there were some good pieces in there and it’s a neat concept, but they didn’t really do anything interesting with it. Also regarding the ending i would have liked one. I don’t need everything spoon fed to me, but that abrupt of an ending was a real cop out, and it’s pretty clear that they came up with the core concept and then couldn’t think of where to take it
Entertaining but far from my favourite this year

Also for some reason Grant Morrison is in this so bonus points for that

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 23, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

33- Halloween 2018

A pure love letter to horror. I haven't seen any of the other ones so I'm sure some things were lost on me, but it seems to ignore everything but the first one anyways.
Really solid, old school slasher with a few modern touches. I especially loved the little inversions with Laurie near the end there.
One thing that did kind of take me out of it though, and I know this is dumb, but man if you have to move Michael, you can't wait a week and do it in November?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fran Challenge #9 Stranger Danger
34- Witch in the Window

After asking around for a while I finally got a recommendation for something I hadn’t seen. I didn’t like this as much as others here seemed to, though. The slow burn was a bit too slow, although I’ll admit once things started to go down it got pretty great for a while though, and yeah the phone call was a solid bit, plus being a divorced dad a lot of stuff got to me more than it would most. The fact that it looks like a Lifetime original movie, and that thing where it had like 3 natural endings before it finally did end, dragged it back down for me though.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 24, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

35- Halloween 2007

Figured I’d finally check out the Zombie ones, I’m not really sure how to feel about it really; I appreciate that Zombie wanted to do something different and not just a more violent version of the first one, but I don’t really dig the whole origin story approach. I think Michael works better as a force of nature, just a little kid who snaps for no reason and has black eyes like a shark. Spending so much time on why he is how he is isn’t a BAD idea, but It didn’t really land for me. The cast is good though, and once we get past the origin I enjoyed it a lot more.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fran Challenge #12 so called masters of horror
36- Wicker Man

Seemed like a good opportunity to get around to seeing this one. The world’s most uptight policeman goes to pagan island to look into a disappearance. I knew the ending going into this, and I think that diminished some of my enjoyment, but Lee is of course great, and I appreciate that while there is some mystery there, the island is pretty up front about how loving weird it is right away. The extended musical numbers were an odd choice, but it works to show the “otherness” of the islanders and how different they are from the cop. I don’t know that it quite lived up to the hype for me, but worth a watch for sure

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TheBizzness posted:

18/31 - Halloween 2 (2009)

But I have to disagree with the people who think Michael being huge is scarier. Maybe he’s just too big?

We watched the first one the other day and at one point I did wonder aloud why the hell you'd let the unrepentant psychopath hit the gym equipment that damned much. Seems to fit the running Halloween theme of everyone making things much more difficult than they need to be.

37 The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

I never got around to this, but it was on TV so figured we'd check it out and round off the trilogy. It's actually quite good! Still has a lot of the charm of the old movies, and I appreciate that they stayed entirely out of Egypt this time and did something new while still keeping the spirit. The design of the Emperor was really cool, and it features a sword fight between Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh. Only real complaint here is that the CGI is still absolutely terrible, but unlike the the first two this one doesn't have the excuse of being made in the 90s. This came out the same year as Iron Man, no excuse for SyFy level work.
Also they should have just written Evie out rather than recasting her, Maria Bello is a good actress but it was just very distracting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ugh Suspiria isn't playing anywhere within 4 hours of me. Guessing it'll show up on demand fairly soon at least.

• Locked thread