Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

I literally slept watching this video

it's good, it's just that I was tired and it just pushed me a bit ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

nice avatar/post combo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

after lots of lovely pop-math takes this is probably the best, clearest, most interesting explanation of the riemann hypothesis.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbaA3qJlbE93DiTYMzl0XKnLn5df_QWqY

actually deriving how the zeta function encodes the distribution of the primes and all. it's really good, and all you need is your forgotten calculus class probably.

part one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVaSA_b938U

I felt like it went for a little too long, I had to watch it in 2 sessions but still it was pretty great! thanks for sharing this one

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

bro hope you been ok

I've been doing a little better lately, mostly busy playing street fighter I guess. thanks for asking! :3:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's "fine" to say that other YouTube videos of understanding of gravity is lacking, because unless there's been a pretty radical change in the scientific community - which we would almost certainly have heard about, given the big impact it'd have had - it's pretty fair to say that nobody understands gravity.

We don't know how/if gravity propagates like the other fundamental forces, and we can't fully integrate it into our existing models.
Scientists ended up building the worlds largest beam cannon just to attempt to find this out at CERN, and so far we're still pretty much in the dark.

So really, while someone can make an rear end out of themselves by claiming other YouTubers don't understand it, that someone also doesn't understand it.

I gotta watch the video until the end but the way I see it is not about questioning youtubers' understanding of gravity, it's about questioning their fluency in applying the general relativity theory.

I think the idea of time difference creating some kinda torque that influences the space dimension is absolutely mind blowing. So wild that I'm inclined to believe it's just popscience people not understanding GR really.

But again, I'm not a physicist. I'll watch his argument more carefully.

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 6, 2023

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

I remember being young at university and I said to a 3rd year physics student something about matter being a standing wave and he said to me something like "the actual answers involve a lot of complex and involved equations and theories and concepts and it's not something that cna be understood without all of that background" and thats stuck with me forever

He's right but he's a shitlord, because he could play ball with you: instead of going deep into complex linear algebra he could've just told you some examples of how matter is NOT like a standing wave and be like "it's actually more weird than that, you see"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

tbh I don’t remember if I stopped believing in creation as much as just started challenging my own faith

toward end of my christian life we went to a church that was much more bible based, it wasn’t pentecostal

and a consequence of putting a lot more time into study of the bible was naturally questioning things like why these 66 books? and the end answer to all my questions was that you have to make that leap
of faith, that there were no satisfying answers to those questions you just had to believe. and I couldn’t

and then I went to university at this stage and was studying science and I remember being in a tent with my now ex wife and telling her I didn’t think jesus was real anymore (or not the son of god anyway) and she was sad but in the morning it did make her realise that I was the one here with her and not jesus and she followed soon

and then did the typical swing the other way into obnoxious atheism lol, this was peak dick dawkins era too

check out the Religion for Breakfast channel some day, it focus mostly on archeological and anthropological aspects of religions. it's made by this guy who is a phd in early christianism iirc, so it's full of interesting stuff that changed my view of what early christians were probably like.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHsXddZFR9ANivJTYru79qCdNp-Wv-k4b

he never goes into theological questions but you can kinda infer some things from the way he keep analysing the gospels as literary pieces of fiction with their weird spinoffs (the gnostic gospels)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
there was this Kaluza guy in the 1920s who found out that if you do relativity in 5D instead of 4D you can naturally derive electromagnetism and it was mindblowing and neat. but as a couple decades passed it was pretty obvious that despite the initial breakthrough the approach was going nowhere.

string theory comes from this same approach (it's way less "natural" really) and it's been obviously a deadend for physicists for a much longer time than we knew.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Technology Connections made me experiment the popcorn button with every microwave I got close to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Limpr1L8Pss

All the microwaves I tested got garbage popcorn buttons :(

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
iirc 3 years ago he was paid to shill for google self-driving cars in a pretty dishonest way, but I guess most people who watch veritasium are fine with it

veritasium not knowing how to do basic dimensional analysis in the lightbulb switch video was pretty flagrant imo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
video for the video thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM0aohBfUTc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord