Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Disillusion is very good. I wish he posted more than one video a year, but this one does a good job of explaining/showing why he doesnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stuff made here guy seems pretty cool. plus his wife routinely dunks on him in his videos, so thats good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Michael Reeves is ONLY goblin mode

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

he’s really one of the very few -phile’s out there who is actually good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

omg that is just conceptually so very disgusting

you’re supposed to speed run video games, not dairy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tasbot is neat but it feels kinda meh to watch. ACE is conceptually really cool, but when tasbot can treat the controller port like a serial port it feels like cheating

watching actual humans do ACE in like super Mario world is mind blowing though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm the toothbrush used as a pointing device

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm about half way through this, but its super interesting, drat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want a drafting table so bad. I don’t even really know why, I don’t draw :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

uh oh I haven’t watched abom in a year or more, but how did he sell out?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, get it while/where you can, but yeah, thats boring

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Teleposter posted:

Is vsauce still relevant or was that forgotten by the void?

I dont know what hes up to these days. He posts like one video a year

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm not from Alabama thankfully but it looks like it rains plenty there

In the video they specifically state that the crops grow without the irrigators, but running the irrigators significantly increases their yields per acre, to the point that the irrigator pays itself off in a few years

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cool space janitoring stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H62hZJVqs2o

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm sure that this has been posted, but this guy and a team of nerds are fixing, rebuilding, powering on and attempting to use the comms equipment from an Apollo spaceship

They use vintage test equipment when available as well, so there is tons of HP rack mount oscilloscope goodness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v49ucdZcx9s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does that video cover the reticulation of splines?

This is very important to me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like Matt, his accent and soothing voice are extremely good for my brain

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ChatGPT takes a college level general astrophysics final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0cmmKPklp4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The AI skips the exam and says your posting is bad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats interesting is what it got wrong and how it got the questions wrong. It often starts out with the right concept and starts doing the math and then just veers off in the wrong direction and cant be convinced that its doing it wrong, in fact insisting upon obviously wrong facts to justify its answers (like insisting that 40 is larger than 63, very basic math stuff that is incorrect)

There is also a pretty interesting theory that things like ChatGPT may eventually become like Wikipedia. In the beginning everyone mostly intrinsically trusted wikipedia because it was this new and gigantic repository of information the likes of which we had never seen. Then we realized that it wasnt always right, and was fallible. Now we treat it as something of a starting point or a jumping off point, but we generally accept that it is not 100% correct 100% of the time and everyone knows that.

He posits that at least in the near term, ChatGPT may go the same way

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 9, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right and the problem is that the average person thinks chatgpt is literal magic and will believe what it says

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

laserghost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpq9irl2yE4&t=607s

Super underrated chill channel. I know that the ground this guy covers is not much of an unknown for yospos, but still I recommend taking a look at his vids. Very down to earth, with occasional gag or two thrown in.

VWestlife is a channel that when it shows up in my recommended videos I alway go "why the gently caress would you make a video about that", and then I end up watching the whole video anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m gonna watch all those videos namaste

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

wisdom

https://youtu.be/HU0pZarehLY

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Youtube channels that are 100% completely playing to the algorithm are extremely cursed and more than a little creepy.

I know its well-trodden ground at this point, but those kids channels that are just thousands and thousands of hours of incomprehensible animation designed to keep toddler eyeballs on ipads are deeply disturbing

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mystes posted:

A randomly selected frame isn't going to be that useful as the thumbnail for many videos and allowing the uploader to select the frame would basically be equivalent to allowing a custom thumbnail

People got around the old system because Youtube always took the same frame for the thumbnail, so they would have one frame of their video that was the thumbnail they wanted and basically brute forced their way into the current system

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Suckerpinch is really good, but unfortunately

pseudorandom name posted:

two suckerpinch videos in a year???

#blessed

is not a lie

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goblin week posted:

i can only assume this is what smart people think about and do constantly

I'm dumb as hell and dont think about that stuff, so can confirm

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Big :same:, friend

I loving floundered my way through college, starting and then bouncing off of a computer science/coding degree and winding up, ultimately, in corporate management.

Not doing mechanical engineering is something I deeply regret. I should have just went with the thing I liked.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A military submarine engineer goes through the currently unfolding sub tragedy. Its focused on the tech, but winds up being a big dunk on them because of how bad their tech is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dka29FSZac

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zero chance that whole channel isnt just chatgpt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would simply use (and worship) a cat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This rules and the fact that he made a giant model is awesome

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Styropyro is great, and he's mentioned in a couple videos that he still gets people messaging him to fight about this video lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will never understand goons digging their heels in over YouTube thumbnails.

youtubers are doing thumbnails the way they’re doing them to get the algorithm to not push them to the bottom of the barrel. it’s a necessity, not a desire for anyone, except maybe Mr Beast

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwFoOVyB40s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the difference in killing the tumor vs killing you id imagine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I always say, the best jokes are the ones you have to explain

:justpost:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dijkstracula posted:

I'm convinced that mid-sized midwestern cities are going to become the next hot commodity in the next few decades owing to the current crop of Places Worth Living becoming all full up, so maybe I should buy a house in Peoria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfOFM9LxOrs

like I have no evidence to back this up but I am quite sure Portland OR had exactly this vibe in the '80s

you’re not wrong, but it won’t be all Midwest towns, just ones that aren’t landlocked. so cities on the Great Lakes and the Mississippi will be the ones to really blow up

the evidence is, like you said, all the big cities on the coasts are either full up, have costs of living that are unsustainable, they’re perpetually on fire, running out of water, or all of the above sometimes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

please make an 85 video series of you watching all 85 of these videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

you’re cool and interesting