Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

i think yospos can appreciate GameHut, a channel run by a 90s game programmer (who is still in the industry, though on the creative/design side) explaining the tricks he used in the games he worked on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXKs1ZSgMic

very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indigi posted:

the primitive tech one is good but these motherfuckers need to learn to rehearse and edit. they could all be half as long and convey the exact same amount of information

youtubes tend to be consistently pretty stretched though, i presume the way google calculates monetization encourages it

very unfortunate, there is a lot of cool stuff that would make a neat 5 minute video dragged into 15 minutes of rambling

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

more engineering tourism than educational, but a nice crossover in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5t-ghuLZWk

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ZgUIobSj0

finally a video I can share w people abt this

this guy is so well produced that in context of youtube i mentally sorted him as a bit of a lifeless/annoying stiff, but youtube kept recommending them and it is actually a fun silly channel discussing some cool stuff.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

very cool, a good venue for your high level of effort really

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this one is pretty timely as blizzard very visibly bodged remaking warcraft 3 in ways pretty directly called out in your video. arstechnica runs it down pretty well https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/01/warcraft-iii-reforged-not-the-flavor-of-chaos-we-were-hoping-for/. specifically they keep most of it the same, but add global illumination, a bunch of environment shaders, and more detailed meshes. however, applied to the originals handcrafted high-contrast colorful cartoony style it ends up looking incredibly flat and nondistinct.

they also messed up all kinds of other things, but it did immediately bring the video to mind on the impact hand-picking/-grading color can have.

e: actually embed

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 1, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

captain disillusion with a very long and interesting dissection of flight of the navigator, with a lot of focus on the extremely early days of cgi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyixMpuGEL8

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also any youtube video about hitler. especially ones which misspell his name.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ASQQboFg98

Bill's out. God bless that man.

He and LPL have double-handedly increased the interest in physical security nerds like 10x over the past few years.

oh that's a bit sad. he was really interesting and humble. lpl has perfected the form of course, but for relaxation watching on a subject matter i actually really don't care about bosnian bill and this old tony will forever be the greatest.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 27, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Good Sphere posted:

Remember all those xpc backdoors? I guess they were inspired by Sony's once the news got out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqWjq2SdzpI

"remember the war of jenkins ear in 1793? well you wont believe what the germans got up to 200 years later!"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there was some quality complaining about yet-another-manual-rotoscoping scene. i think this one was worse than usual though as presumably he had zero chance to reshoot anything

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

i make no guarantees about chud/nonchud but neither of them are overt nazis

and tbh this is not necessarily the standard anyone should choose to live by, but it should be largely fine for casual recommendation

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

like i am not getting background checks on people before I watch their video on youtube

yeah, agreed, more or less what i am saying. can't get *too* wrapped up in it. ultimately watching youtube at all might be up there in sins.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sweevo posted:

...also videos of carpet cleaning businesses for some reason

5 months from amazon buying irobot to your roomba causing your youtube recommendations to shame you for your filthy carpets, pretty good efficiency even in the downturn

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

You're mad that people are using subtitles? Or that movies are mixed in a way that makes them necessary? Or just by the style of the video?

for me the annoying bit is the concept of "naturalistic acting", an established idea where actors are reading lines as stilted as anything in a greek comedy, but they do it in a way which they wouldn't *actually* if trying to speak to another human being. like, people by and large don't habitually mumble or whisper or say everything with a growl. especially not outside, with anyone you don't know, or on the telephone.

actual realism would be real bad as well, sure actors would then talk in way more neutral ways aiming to be heard, but instead everything would be agrammatical, take twice as long to say, and of course 90% of the dialog would be irrelevant to the story being told. which is where realism being dumb comes in, just as well to have actors project.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

ee as a career is 1% doing cool poo poo and 99% we made this new lovely wall wart that just barely meets spec and need you to rubber stamp the schematic

keep it a hobby and it stays fun

feel very light rephrases make this work for all jobs. except the ones that don't even have the 1%.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

skooma512 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbmJkMhmrVI

I really like her production style and way of explaining things. I usually don't subscribe to anyone on YT or look at profiles but there was enough there and all of it is good, so consider me influenced.

finally got around to watching this and wound up binging the channel, extremely good stuff. besides the pure science content i also appreciate some very solid truth-telling about academia, being an academia captive myself i'll second pretty much everything (e.g. stuff like postdoc positions being largely archaic bullshit, and a lot of cover being provided for sex pests at all levels).

e: also, on the postdoc front, that it is increasingly hard to fill those positions, which is entirely fair and good. if anyone wants one though dm me.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

lol in my field, even postdoc positions are hard to get. or at least were; i assume it's strictly worse now

i think this is a thing that has happened in the last 3ish years, people by and large realizing how lovely a lot of lovely deals are.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Chalks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUrOxh_0leE

i feel like i could post this video in a dozen threads on here. it's really good

it is a good intro to what i think has been all over yospos for some time, but i think most people here unwillingly have already heard it all before

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Simians are too selfish for that

still, the cucumber monkey was a lot quicker to turn to direct action than humans

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I will never understand goons digging their heels in over YouTube thumbnails.

youtubers are doing thumbnails the way they’re doing them to get the algorithm to not push them to the bottom of the barrel. it’s a necessity, not a desire for anyone, except maybe Mr Beast

otoh it is kind of bad practice to always implicitly accept the circumstances as a given in stuff like this. i myself do not really want to participate in this "algorithm" system, and while i understand some people are pushed to do so i don't think they'll lose much sleep over me complaining without perfect nuance.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the argument is in there:

assume we have a faster-growing computable function f. by definition of "computable" this means that there exists some turing machine T which implements f, i.e. the machine T started with x zeroes on the tape it'll halt with f(x) 1's on the tape (we can pick these details of its implementation freely, it is easy enough to reencode things as needed).

let n be the number of states in the (arbitrarily chosen) smallest such turing machine T. but then as bb(n) simulates all turing machine with n states T will be among them, bb picking the one that outputs the largest value, which means in the end we must have bb(n)>=f(n), and as you can trivially construct a n+1 state turing machine that implements f from the one with n states (just add them without having them do anything) we have bb(x)>=f(x) for all x>=n.

note to be clear that the busy beaver function (which is a cool and good name) is not itself computable, as you can never know whether the highest result you've seen out of a turing machine so far is the actual busy beaver and the rest are just spinning infinitely, or whether in a moment another will halt with a larger value.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

actually, shorter and better: what the busy beaver *does* is run all computable functions (represented by turing machines) and takes a max of the result, so it will necessarily grow at least as fast as any particular one you pick.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the spectrum we're working with:

you die ---------- you're cured ---- you die

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

post hole digger posted:

you will still die if you’re cured.

i can't ascii art the 2d version where theres both sieverts and time, im on my phone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

please make an 170 video series of you watching all 85 of these videos

ftfy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think most youtubers that get to a point where they are sustainable in decent comfort (specifically off of the content, when we get to patreon and such things get real murky) are also pretty likely to pick up skills and connections that'll see them through e.g. google deciding to fully gently caress up youtube.

the most straightforward would be finding a decent job doing media/content/ads for some established company, and i think going "here's my 300k subscriber youtube channel" would instantly make you a top-tier candidate.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one feature of rice cookers that's not important for everyone but i really like is that the keep-warm will keep the rice both still nice and importantly food-safe for a ridiculous amount of time. however, that at least is a feature you should only use with a reasonably high-quality one, as you *really* want to trust it to be correct on temperatures etc. if you're going to keep the rice warm for an extended period.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i think the induction models (made in japan at that) are the top of the line, with every feature of the micom-labeled ones. i was a bit too cheap to go quite that far.

should have bought a larger one really, i keep making its max volume to make sure i have left-overs for fried rice etc.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

weird, idk why the amazon listing doesn't include all that, i stand corrected. i was looking for "fuzzy logic" and "micom" since that's how they market these features afaik. the upgrade version that's also a pressure cooker mentions it: https://a.co/d/1kxdmst

amazon listing being an incomplete jumble of words pulled from wherever?! that place sure has gone downhill

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lets once again enjoy a silver-painted man explain something with over-ambitious presentation through an incredibly weird meta-fictional layer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDhomtxiT3c

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think there's a bunch of little explanations (e.g. he comments at some point that he just grabbed whatever he could find around the house for the first video, and there's a bunch detailing a weird fictional backstory) but there's none that quite explains the core "so how did he get to be like that"

i rather love it all, both as a weird artistic statement (and you get to make those if you make good enough videos) and because it is just dumb enough to be funny.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eeh, disagree. if hitting-some-metric-success was the aim and he could focus on that i honestly think the guy would do way better than he is (and he was on *pathetic* subscription numbers a couple of years back, went on some other channels without makeup and got a bit of a bump). i think he just likes the weirdness.

this being the thread, not being a great public speaker myself i draw a lot of inspiration from his blendercon talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qSTcxt2t74

it is not that he is a natural at the form, but loving hell it is an inspiration for putting what effort you can in (and he is above and beyond on effort).

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 27, 2024

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the title misrepresents this 4 hour exhaustive enumeration of every triangle possible to collide with in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Some things you collide with are not triangles, but the absense of triangles

i really like the video, and am thrilled it is being enjoyed by people. but i cannot really get past thinking i could cut the length down by 75% leading with a "imagine a Mario position, it is judged by these ray casts, but collision geometry is done in integer math"

but let's pretend i posted the acollierastro video about "that's not how *id* explain it"