Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

The_Franz posted:

i'd really love to know just what kind of money some of these people can get just for shoving a 30 second clip in a video or stream telling people to use nordshark vpn with discount code 'poopybutt' or whatever

since i watch so much goddamn youtube i got curious about this in the past. this information is out there if you dig around.

iirc (and i am not an expert at all) - it entirely depends on your subscription and average view counts, viewer demographics, CPM vs flat fee, and what sorts of brands you're willing to work with. from what i saw the absolute bottom of the barrel deals (eg you're barely big enough to actually attract brand deals at all) would bring in $2k per video, someone doing 1M views per video could be getting 50k and up, and the absolute top end (mr beast level) were easily bagging 500k and up per video.

this sub-reddit has a lot of discussion about this stuff - here's an example of one such discussion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PartneredYoutube/comments/y73f8s/how_much_to_charge_for_a_brand_deal/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

someone here posted something like "i will never watch a video where the thumbnail is someone with their mouth open", and i've been following that sometimes and don't appear to be missing anything

hopefully this doesn't take off with SA avs or you and I are on a lot of ignore lists

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
also how open is open? because a few of my subs do that like brian david gilbert and captain disillusion but it's not like they're imitating a cartoon character from the 50s that just saw a jessica rabbit type or something

actually they're probably the exceptions that prove the rule because the only other sub i have that does thumbnails like that is coffeezilla and while i like his content and respect his investigative skills i absolutely hate his dumb persona

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
zojirushi rice cookers are so drat good. i was too cheap to drop $600 on one imported from japan so I have a chinese one eg sold by zojirushi with same design but made in china. extremely worth the ~200 cad i spent since we make rice 3-4x per week.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

spankmeister posted:

are the japanese ones really that much better?

i think it used to be the only way to get the more advanced features but i think that's no longer the case.

when i was trying to decide if i should spend extra i looked around online. i saw people post things like "japan has tighter manufacturing constraints" or "the japanese ones use higher quality materials" with zero citations specific to zojirushi. i could not find a single side-by-side comparison for example. i assume zojirushi cares about their brand enough to use good chinese manufacturers; they're not an ALLCAPS fly by night on amazon.

caveat - i've only had mine since late last year so i can't vouch for longevity but so far it's worked perfectly

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

i litterrally ordered this one from amazon last night. hopefully it lives up to the hype

i don't think that's the fuzzy logic (micom) one, rip

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mystes posted:

zojirushi's website says otherwise

also zojirushi's marketing is kind of bullshit and the word micom really just means microprocessor which is basically any rice cooker which isn't a traditional one that uses a magnet

weird, idk why the amazon listing doesn't include all that, i stand corrected. i was looking for "fuzzy logic" and "micom" since that's how they market these features afaik. the upgrade version that's also a pressure cooker mentions it: https://a.co/d/1kxdmst

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Angryhead posted:

I hope you folks are reading the great "Ask me about rice" thread!

nice, bookmarked for later

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mystes posted:

relying on amazon listings containing or not containing certain things to accurately reflect a product's features is not a great idea

yeah i double check everything when i make major purchases, i was just a bit surprised in this case even though i know i shouldn't be

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
jesus christ legal eagle sure did me dirty in a recent video

genetic abnormalities?! goddamn my nose ain't that big

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

:negative:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

rotor posted:

[edit: wrong thread?? wtf]

need help finding the old person thread? :smuggo:

me too, help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
never heard of this guy before but he did a visual graph of wikipedia and had a little fun with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JheGL6uSF-4