Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

What is Puyo Puyo Tetris?

Puyo Puyo Tetris is the 12th major entry in the Puyo Puyo series, and the 7th made by Sega. It's major feature is a crossover between the two eponymous puzzle games: Puyo Puyo and Tetris.

It also features the most amusing excuse plot I've ever seen.

What's your goal for this LP?

My goal is for this to serve as a guide to multiplayer Tetris and especially Puyo Puyo.

I am going to assume the following:
  • That you know about all of the clears in Tetris, and how to get them. (If you don't, and you're playing along, check out the Tetris tutorials. They're pretty good at teaching you those.)
  • That you have never played a game of multiplayer Tetris before (I sure hadn't when I first got this game)
  • That you have not played any form of Puyo Puyo, ever.
This makes it much easier for me to structure my guides appropriately.

Disclaimer: I am not a master at this game. I often have to stop to think about my next move, and I will periodically demonstrate throughout this LP by uploading videos of me making stupid mistakes. The point of these videos is to show that this game is hard. Yes, I will be making the AI look like a chump, but if you plan to play along you shouldn't treat it like one. I can think of a few Tetris bosses in this game that stand a very good chance of winning against you your first attempt, never mind the Puyo Puyo ones.

That being said, I am going to get all three stars on every level, because I have done that before with great difficulty and will try to guide you as to how you would accomplish that.

I know that Puyo Puyo has a learning curve as steep as a cliff without help. My hope is that by the end of this LP you will have the tools you need to get through the story mode of this game and pull off stuff like this more quickly than I can.

Or that you enjoy the story or my gameplay. Really that you get anything out of this guide.

I want to play along! Where can I get this?

You can get the English version physically on the PS4 and Switch and digitally on the Switch and Steam.

Any rules?
  • NO SPOILERS! Not even behind spoiler bars. Don't even hint at them. Feel free to talk about other Puyo Puyo games (if you even know what they are), but nothing about this. I know this game is a year old and was fairly popular at the launch of the Switch, but I didn't know that when I first saw this game. Don't ruin it for someone else and let them experience it themselves.
Further rules will be added if the need for them arises.

Updates

Update 1: Duel In a New Dimension
Update 2: The Girl in the Puyo Hat
Update 3: The Cowering Canine
Update 4: Tomboy in Trouble

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

T-Spin Refresher

You kind of have to know how to do a T-Spin in order to compete online, since otherwise you will be crushed by those who do use T-Spins. So I've listed all the archetypical setups for the two big kind of T-Spin line clears, the important parts of them, and how you clear them.

T-Spin Double

T-Spin doubles are just as powerful as Tetrises against Tetris players, and clears only half the number of lines. However, they can be tricky to chain Back-To-Backs with.

This is an example of a T-Spin Double Setup I used in a recent game.

However, the highlighted blocks are the only blocks I need to do the T-Spin clear. The important parts are that the hole be T-Shaped and that one of the ends of the T has blocks above and below it.

To do the T-Spin Double, I soft drop the T piece until it's in this position...

And rotate it clockwise into the hole.

T-Spin Triple

T-Spin triples are the most powerful clear against Tetris players, sending 6 garbage lines to your opponent upon completion. However, they require effort to setup and the mechanics of how they are done guarentees an overhang when it's done that will have to be filled by a soft-dropped piece. T-Spin Doubles are far less messy, which sometimes makes them preferable to this line clear.

The following is an example of a T-Spin Triple Setup made in game.

The blocks needed for the clear, however, are highlighted. The overhang, once again, is vital, but now so is a T-shaped hole pointing toward where the above overhang opens up.

To clear the T-Spin Triple, we soft drop the T piece facing in the direction of the overhang beneath it.

Then we rotate it into the overhang. Now there is one circumstance to watch out for: If there is only a single block on the side of the T opposite the hang with nothing above it, it becomes impossible to finish the T-Spin Triple.

Assuming the above condition is false, then one last rotation will cause a wallkick to be performed, shoving the T into the T-shaped space and completing the T-Spin Triple.

Refresher End

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 20, 2018

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Update 1: Duel in a New Dimension
The opening to Adventure Mode plays when you choose it for the first time.

By the way, I would highly recommend watching the videos. They got a top-notch voice team for this game, and there are a lot of little details that I can't really convey well in screenshots. So seriously, go watch these.

Or read on for a witty* explanation of who these people are. *May not be witty, or even original.

Video - Opening

Click here to watch!

Music: Happy Days like Usual~!

Just in case you didn't read the bottom-left placard, this girl's name is Ringo. She was the protagonist of the last two major entries before this, and the entirety of her gimmick was and is going to continue to be "only sane person in this madhouse." Oh, and "queen of tempting fate."

She is played by Cassandra Lee.

: So peaceful... and quiet...!
: Nothing ever goes wrong on a peaceful day~!

: Come to think of it, as great as peace is... it's actually kind of boring.

: It'd be more fun if something exciting happened.

: Ha! But that's nonsense!
: Something like that would NEVER happen on such a peaceful day, right?

The background fades to white.

: Huh?

: What's happening!?
: I think someone's bursting outta the sky!

The background returns to normal.

*crash*

: *groan* Th-That hurt...

Don't ask me what's up with her clothes. I have no idea what the hell is up with her clothes.
Anyway, Amitie here is the second of our protagonists, being the main protagonist of the games before that was handed off to Ringo. Her gimmick will become apparent quickly enough.

She is voiced by Christine Marie Cabanos.

Arle and Carbuncle here are the last of the reappearing protagonist. Arle was the protagonist of the previous major entries before Amitie's games, and was the most levelheaded character before Ringo showed up. Carbuncle is basically her pet/best friend who loves curry. I'm also not giving Carbuncle a portrait. Deal with it.

Arle is voiced by Erica Mendez. Carbuncle is voiced by Erin Fitzgerald.

: Arle? Carbuncle? I don't understand...
: Hiya, Ringo! How's it goin'?
: Teehee! Hey, Amitie.
: Let me guess...
: You two were in a Puyo Puyo battle, huh?
: And you both popped a whole bunch of Puyos...
: And suddenly, some mysterious power picked you up and sent you here?

: Long time no see, Ringo! Looks like you're doing well.
: I feel like this happens a little too often...
: There's no telling where we might end up!

: I mean, it brought us to your world, right!?

: *chuckle* I can't argue with that!
: Well, let's pop some more!

: What if, one of these days, we get teleported somewhere scary?
: Huh? How could it be scary when we're all there together?

: But, what if it's somewhere completely preposterous?
: Yeah? Like where?
: Oh, I don't know... um... how about...

: The edge of the who-now?
: Psh! Sounds fun to me!

...Can you guess Amitie's gimmick? I'll give you until the end of the update.

: Me too! Let's go!

The background flashes briefly.

Music: Silence

: I didn't see anything.
: Um... guys...?

Music: Travellers Woes'

The background flashes again. "Unfamiliar" blocks start falling.

: Is it a new type of Puyo?

: We just got back from our last adventure!

For reference, Ringo and pals are coming off of two games in a row where a certain person tried to use Puyo Puyo to cause an apocalypse. Needless to say, Ringo's starting to feel the stress of having to play so much Puyo Puyo just to make sure things stay normal.

The background flashes again.

: No, no! Look closer!

: What're you talking about?
: Guys, those aren't Puyos.
: Hey! You're right...!
: They're... blocks?
: Oh, just blocks? That's fine.

: How should I know?
: They're really coming down all around us, Ringo...
: There's so many of them!
: Look! Some of them fell into a solid line. It's so pleasing on the eyes...

: Wait... Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

The realization came too late. :rip: Ringo & pals, whisked away by falling blocks.

I suppose I'll reveal Amitie's gimmick, even though it isn't the end of the update.

SHE'S AS DUMB AS A BRICK!

Music: Welcome to PUYOTETRIS!!

These are actually new characters, so I'll let the game speak for itself on who they are.

Well, the game doesn't reveal who their voice actors are until the credits, so let's get that out of the way not.

Tee is voiced by Max Mittleman and O is voiced by Erin Fitzgerald.

...What is with Erin Fitzgerald and voicing mascots that can only say one syllable in this game?

Oh, and O actually will get a portrait.

: It's time for a routine report.
: Pipi! Pipi!
: *ahem* Captain's report.
: This is Captain Tee of the SS Tetra.
: I am broadcasting this signal via Communications Officer O.
: The Constellation Zone appears quiet, no ripples in spacetime to report.
: End of report.
: Pipi-Pipi-Pi!

: I never really questioned them before...
: Pi-Pi!

: ...Even though there's never been any problems out here. It's so peaceful and quiet.

The ship shakes from a crash.

: PIPI!?

: What was that, O?

Two more crashes.

If you've been watching the video, you should recognize who this is fairly quickly.

It's Ringo.

: You hear that?
: I heard someone talking, inside the playroom!
: Did you hear, O?
: Pipipipipipi!

Now onto the leadup to actual gameplay!

Video - Duel In a New Dimension (Intro)

Click here to watch!

: ...And I'm in some wierd place.
: ...And I'm all alone.

: Captain's report.
: A girl in a non-form-fitting outfit has materialized aboard the SS Tetra.
: I believe she is currently performing an improvised alien comedy routine.
: Pipi-Pi!

: I am unsure what our next course of action should be.

: You there.
: Huh?
: He's wearing some really tight-fitting clothes.
: And he's trying to talk to me...

: SOMEONE sent those squarish things that brought me here.
: I bet that someone was you!
: Eh...!?
: Sounds like the only solution here is that we should battle.

: The girl is in a panic, but perhaps a battle might be the best course.

: So... you know how to match them up and make them disappear too...
: Of course I do. Are you ready?
: Let's do this!
: Tetris time!
: Puyo Puyo time!

: She doesn't play Tetris!?
: He doesn't play Puyo Puyo!?
: But that's...

:getin:

Video - Duel in a New Dimension

Click here to watch!

Music: Challenge GO! → Puyo 2 Tetris!

By the way, I highly recommend that you go watch the video first, then play the music above while you read this guide.

the music in this game is soooo good

Anyway, onto the first segment!

Gameplay Info - Multiplayer Basics (Tetris)

I suppose we should start by looking at an important mechanic in a Tetris v. Puyo Puyo match:

See that meter next to the Tetris field? That represents the strength of our current attack. Each notch represents 1 unit of Tetris garbage in our current attack, and consecutive clears will increase both our combo and the strength of our attack.
Different clears contribute different amounts to our garbage meters, and consecutive clears will have their garbage added atop the last attack.
Here's a list of how many points each clear is worth and how many garbage units it adds to our current attack:
  • A Single is worth 100 points and does not count for garbage on it's own.
  • A T-Spin Zero is worth 400 points and does not count for garbage on it's own.
  • A Mini T-Spin (Any T-Spin pressing up against the edge of the playfield) is worth only 100 points and contributes no garbage.
  • A Double is worth 300 points and contributes one unit of Tetris garbage.
  • A Triple is worth 500 points and contributes two units of Tetris garbage.
  • A Tetris is worth 800 points and contributes four units of Tetris garbage.
  • A T-Spin Single is worth 800 points and contributes two units of Tetris garbage.
  • A T-Spin Double is worth 1200 points and contributes three units of Tetris garbage.
  • A T-Spin Triple is worth 1600 points and contributes four units of Tetris garbage.
  • If a Perfect Clear is achieved, then 6 units of Tetris garbage are contributed to the current attack regardless of the strength of the line clear that made it. The bonus awarded for achieving it varies depends on what line clear empties the playfield. The Perfect Clear bonus is 800, 1200, 1800, and 2000 points for a Single, Double, Triple, and Tetris clear respectively.
In addition, after the score awarded and strength of the attack is determined, the following bonuses are applied:
  • If the clear qualifies for a Back-To-Back bonus, +50% points are added to the score awarded and a unit of Tetris garbage is added to the garbage given by the base clear.
  • If the clear comes immediately after another clear, then a point bonus of 50*(consecutive_clears-1) is applied and a combo bonus is added to the strength of the attack according to a series of rules described below.
The combo bonus is given by the following list of conditionals. combo is defined as one less than the number of consecutive clears.
  • If combo < 2, then add no extra garbage.
  • If 2 <= combo < 7, then add +1 Tetris garbage.
  • If 7 <= combo < 11, then add +2 Tetris garbage.
  • If 11 <= combo < 15, then add +3 Tetris garbage.
  • if 15 <= combo < 19, then add +4 Tetris garbage.
  • if combo >= 19, then add +5 Tetris garbage.
Finally, the total garbage added by a single clear is appended to the current attack.
[/list]When a block is placed on the field that does not trigger a line clear and an attack is queued up, then the amount of Tetris garbage you've collected is converted to Garbage Puyos according to the following table and sent to the other player on the field. Tetris garbage is on the left and the number of Garbage Puyos is on the right.
  • 1 -> 4
  • 2 -> 5
  • 3 -> 6
  • 4 -> 8
  • 5 -> 10
  • 6 -> 13
  • 7 -> 16
  • 8 -> 20
  • 9 -> 24
  • 10 -> 28
  • 11 -> 33
  • 12 -> 38
  • 13 -> 43
  • 14 -> 49
  • 15 -> 55
  • 16 -> 61
  • 17 -> 68
  • 18 -> 75
  • 19 -> 83
  • 20 -> 92
Conversion values for up to 30 garbage are defined, but you can consider them as a "nice" bonus because an 17-strength attack is enough to top out the Puyo Puyo board. Stronger attacks are merely further insurance against the Puyo Puyo player making a comeback with a large enough chain.

Now, knowing all of this let's look at the mission statement again.

Below our objective you'll notice that there are three star ratings. We get one star just for beating our opponent. To get two stars, however, we need to earn at least 4500 pts, and to get three stars we need at least 5000 pts. We're going to see missions like this throughout the game, and if we look at the point values for each type of clear T-Spins easily award the most points. Thus when we have to deal with score objectives as Tetris, T-Spins are going to be the way we go.

In the video, I savescummed for started out with a series of blocks that, using the power of memorizing T-Spin openings sheer luck PURE SKILL, I used to do a T-Spin Double Triple Combo followed by another T-Spin. This got me 1200 points for the T-Spin Double, 2450 points for the Back-To-Back T-Spin Triple, and 1800 points for the Back-to-Back T-Spin Double followup that I improvised planned for, which gave me a base total of 5450, qualifying me for the three-star and sending 28 trash blocks to my opponent. Not a bad start.

From there, I move on to my usual strategy after the opening T-Spins have been exhausted: spamming setting up for Back-to-Back Tetrises in order to drown Ringo in trash and prevent her from counter-attacking until victory is mine.

Really, though, you have to be trying or intentionally not playing to lose to Ringo here. Her AI is pretty slow and won't make any dangerous chains, so the real rub here is getting enough points to qualify for the three-star bonus before Ringo's own incompetence ends the match.

This is going to be a common gimmick throughout the game. Get used to it.

Video - Duel in a New Dimension (Outro)

Click here to watch!

: And he's not too bad!
: What were those...?

: Huh? You don't know what a Puyo is?
: I do not. I have a great deal of questions for you...
: But first, let me introduce myself.
: I am Tee, and I am the captain of this vessel, the Starship Tetra.
: I have the ability to control and clear Tetriminos.

: Well, my name is Ringo!
: And I can pop Puyos to make them disappear.
: So those round things are Puyos.
: Uh-huh, and sometimes when we pop them, it sends us off to other worlds.

: Anyhow, I'm sorry for barging in like this. Wasn't on purpose, I swear.
: But... uh... maybe you can help me?
: Hm...
: It's strange.

: Really!? Me too...!
: Say, Tee, I was with with a few of my friends before I arrived here.
: There's a chance they were also sent to this ship.
: They might be just as panicked as I was...

: Thanks, Tee!

Next time: Finding our friends.

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 19, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Well, this sure is the last game I expected to have a plot of any kind. Looks fun though.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Well, this sure is the last game I expected to have a plot of any kind. Looks fun though.

Puyo Puyo Tetris's plot is just on the right side of "completely ridiculous" to not be annoying, but the writing and voice acting absolutely nails it.

As for gameplay stuff, I know how to do the various Tetris stuff, but I have less than zero idea on how to set up anything long term past "make a giant wall of stuff and pray for line pieces". Like, I have no idea how you set up that T-spin play or how you'd recognize it was possible while actually playing the game.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Trasson posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris's plot is just on the right side of "completely ridiculous" to not be annoying, but the writing and voice acting absolutely nails it.

Pretty much. The cutscenes are basically why I suffered through learning beginner Puyo Puyo and now advanded Tetris.

Surprisingly, Puyo Puyo becomes very fun past the beginner level.

Tetris does not.

Trasson posted:

As for gameplay stuff, I know how to do the various Tetris stuff, but I have less than zero idea on how to set up anything long term past "make a giant wall of stuff and pray for line pieces". Like, I have no idea how you set up that T-spin play or how you'd recognize it was possible while actually playing the game.

Which one? The first two T-Spins, or the third T-Spin? 'Cause if it's the third one, that one was basically a fluke. The first two are part of a T-Spin Opener called DT Cannon, which if the RNG allows it to be set up basically allows me to execute a T-Spin Double followed by a T-Spin Triple in the first 21 pieces. The third one was a combination of the RNG screwing me out of a chance to build for a Perfect Clear by giving me an S piece too early and my own experience. Due to how I placed it, I basically created the base for a T-Spin Double, which I didn't notice until sometime later when I realized I could create an overhang using another S piece. The T-Spin Double, conveniently, allowed me to transition into a Back-To-Back Tetris setup.

Yeah, long term I just default toward Back-To-Back Tetrises, which can work simply because chaining them together is far simpler than chaining together consecutive T-Spins. I've been trying to learn a particular technique that would basically allow me to use both T-Spins and Tetrises and give me far more flexibility in building my stack (since for the purposes of Back-To-Back Bonuses Tetrises and T-Spins are interchangeable).

And to be fair, I think most players have to learn by experience when to do a T-Spin, since T-Spins of all kinds require a very specific setup.

Next update, I plan to explain a quirk in all modern Tetris games that's pretty drat important, because that quirk is basically why I can execute T-Spin Openers reliably... when I can remember them. :sweatdrop:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Well, the plot videos are :3: AF. Worth following just for that bit of entertainment.

Also to hell with you for being able to flip a Tetris piece down a jagged hole like that. drat.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Buried alive posted:

Well, the plot videos are :3: AF. Worth following just for that bit of entertainment.

Also to hell with you for being able to flip a Tetris piece down a jagged hole like that. drat.

I guess you don't actually own the game yourself, so I guess I'll explain why that is possible.

Modern Tetris games use a rotation system called the Super Rotation System. I won't go into the nitty gritty details here, but this essentially, in certain circumstances, allows me to rotate a Tetromino into a position it normally would never have been able. This is called a "wall kick," and it's why T-Spin Triples are even a thing in modern Tetris.

But that's not why I came to this thread. I went to bed really late last night because I could not get to sleep... so I decided to record the next three updates in one session. The problem with this is that in all of the battles, I screwed up something. I still ended up winning, but when I screw up, I have a bad habit of pausing in order to get my bearings.

Despite this, I still got some noteworthy accomplishments in those videos. For example, I completed the first Puzzle Trial of the game in 43 seconds, literally the fastest I've ever completed that level.

So I suppose my main question to whomever is reading the thread is: do you want to have the videos where I screw up and pause as the gameplay videos, or would you prefer a video where I didn't pause intermittently while I desperately attempt to fix my mistakes before they come back to bite me? They never did. Or rather, would you like to see them now or later? I do plan to show off my mistakes in their own video, but that will likely not come until after the fifth update.

If I hear nothing, those will be the gameplay videos I upload because I am lazy. So express your preference now or forever hold your peace.

Time limit will be... however long it takes me to write the guides for this update and transcribe the two cutscenes in this update. At that point, I'll look in this thread, and if any objections have been voiced, I'll record new gameplay videos and use those instead. Your time limit is pretty generous; I also have to finish some homework for a class, so that's going to be included in the time limit.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
If you include an overlay of some sort on the video during the pause segment explaining what went wrong (or just being snarky. Or both.) that could make for some good entertainment. If it's just pausing with no explanation though .. meh.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Puyo Puyo games have since long used wacky plots. I haven't seen a Tetris game with wacky plot though.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Oops. Looks like I misremembered. The next update won't contain any pausing, although it will contain me having to stop and think about what I need to do next. The updates after that one though are going to contain pausing.

Buried alive posted:

If you include an overlay of some sort on the video during the pause segment explaining what went wrong (or just being snarky. Or both.) that could make for some good entertainment. If it's just pausing with no explanation though .. meh.

Still, thanks for the feedback. Now I know what to do for those updates.

...Which is going to add editing to the list of everything I need to do to make an update. :sigh:

...Oh, and also

Crystalgate posted:

Puyo Puyo games have since long used wacky plots. I haven't seen a Tetris game with wacky plot though.

I think that's why I've played this game longer than I have any other Tetris title. That being said, I'm probably going to stick to the Puyo Puyo series, given that that's the series with the wacky plots.

And that I have more fun playing Puyo Puyo.

Edit: I needed to get some footage for something in tomorrow's update, so I decided to rerecord some of the gameplay footage for the next two updates.

This worked out far better than I ever could have hoped. Let's just say that Update 3 is going to demonstrate why I tend to not go easy on the AI, and that Update 4 is going to start with a bang. Although both of them are going to establish that I tend to freeze up in tricky situations, I now have recordings for the next three updates where I never pause once.

See you all tomorrow with Update 2.

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 17, 2018

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Update 2: The Girl in the Puyo Hat

Here's something I forgot to mention last time. This is the screen you go to when you enter Adventure Mode after the intro cutscene first plays. For the mission currently selected you'll see the objective, the number of stars you've gotten for the level, your best time/score, who you are playing as, where you are, and when applicable your opponent.

You may notice that there isn't an opponent this time. That's because this is a Puzzle Trial.

The idea behind them is to accomplish a certain objective under constraint. It uses single player rules, so you don't need to worry about garbage.

Now onto specifics...

Video - 1-2 Puzzle Trial

Click here to watch!

Music: Block by Block ~ Beat by Beat

The particular trial we're on is called a Line Trial. We have to clear a certain number of lines before time runs out. The game ends immediately when we clear the last line, and we're graded based on how much time was left when we accomplished the objective.

In this case, we need to clear 10 lines within 2 minutes. Easy. Less easy is the three star objective: clear 10 lines in 1 minute. I won't give you too many hints, because there will be more of these in the future and I need something to talk about during them, but for this level, I'll give you a hint: don't bother going for a Tetris, or even bother about score, because the game certainly doesn't care. If you're really having trouble with the three star objective, don't even bother and just move on: you get nothing for getting three stars on every level your first time through. I wish I hadn't decided to do just that.

It's not fun unless you're good at the game.

So onto the intro for this chapter's battle!

Video - The Girl in The Puyo Hat - Intro

Click here to watch!

Music: Welcome to PUYOTETRIS~!

Ess here is voiced by Eden Riegel.

: Who are you? What is a Puyo? Are you here alone? Where are your friends?
: How did you get here? And where are you from? And WHY are you here?

: Wahh! My brain hurts! Look, I already told you...
: Everything was fine, and then I just got whooshed away while popping Puyos!

: A... what!?
: Magic-schmagic!
: Look, lady... FIRST, you interrupt my nap.
: Now, you're just blabbering nonsense!

: MEEP!

: I had hoped we'd find her first.
: Pi-Pipi-Pipi...
: Ringo, that girl in the red hat...
: Is that one of your friends?
: Yup, that's Amitie.
: She can be a handful sometimes.
: What about that other girl? She seems kind of abusive, don't ya think?

: She's one of my crew. ...And also a handful sometimes.
: Well, if you're the Captain, can't you make her stop...?
: Um... the thing is... You see, uh... Well, the... uh... sh-short answer is...

: Piii...
: Wow, sounds rough...

: Tee! Finally! We need to talk!
: What is it?
: It is the Captain's sworn duty to make sure I can nap in peace!
: And that means we need to detain weirdos BEFORE they roam free, wouldn't you agree?
: Ess, did it ever cross your mind...

: What did you just say?
: Oh my! Another person in strange clothes.
: You're Amitie, right!?
: Please, try and calm down...

: Hmph...
: I guess that's the quickest way to settle this.
: Bring it!
: Tetris!
: Puyo Puyo!

Video - The Girl in the Puyo Hat

Click here to watch!

Before we start, I would like to mention the general strategy when dealing with time objectives in Puyo Puyo Tetris: MOVE FAST. Use hard drop and in general be as efficient as you can be while still putting on enough pressure to top out your opponent.

This is a pretty good strategy when it comes to Tetris in general. The more quickly you move, the less time your opponent has to react.

Now onto today's topic.

Gameplay Info: How Tetris Generates Pieces In Exploitable Ways

So you may not notice this in casual play, but modern Tetris games like Puyo Puyo Tetris are required by the Tetris guideline to generate the pieces they give you in a special way, one that can be exploited to put out an overwhelming offense.

In the olden days, Tetrominos were generated by picking one kind of Tetromino from all of the possible Tetrominos. RNGs being RNGs (anyone who plays roguelikes knows how much RNGs seem to hate players, regardless of how much logic says they shouldn't), this resulted in players topping out from a long sequence of S and Z pieces. Needless to say, gamers were not happy about this.

When the modern guideline for Tetris games was being conceived, they set out to address this complaint. Now to compute the sequence of next pieces, the game draws the seven kinds of Tetrominos in a random order, as if from a bag. Due to this, each sequence of 7 pieces is referred to as a bag. The next bag is generated the same way, and so on and so forth until the game ends.

Because of this, if you are willing to keep track of what bag you're currently in, you can plan ahead far better. The time when it is easiest to do this is the beginning of the game, when you start with the first piece of the bag.

Enter T-Spin Openers. These are piece placements that can be performed in the first three bags that will produce one or more T-Spins and possibly set up a Perfect Clear, if the RNG is feeling nice. If you are competent or lucky enough, you can segue from these openers to a Back-To-Back Tetris setup, allowing you to rain garbage down upon your opponent.

There are plenty of options here for you to find and use, but here's the T-Spin openers I frequently use depending on the opening bag I have.

TKI is a very popular T-Spin Opener online, and for good reason: It's very flexible and presets ways to get further T-Spin Doubles within the first three. The main requirement is that the I piece come before either the S or Z piece in the first bag.

This is a good demonstration of TKI's flexibility. Here, the L piece came before the Z and O pieces, instead of after as in the first variation. Despite this, TKI could still be setup.

And it continues. O comes before L, and Z after L? Lay the L on its short end atop the O, and everything's hunky dory.

The icing on the cake? You can mirror this.

That being said, this won't work for all bags. Bags that have it come in late are hard or even impossible to set up into a TKI.

For that, you want one of these other openings...

DT Cannon results in a T-Spin Double followed by a T-Spin Triple in the first three bags. The first T Piece is wasted creating an overhang.

See that overhang? You want that formed before you do the T-Spin Double. After the clear, a T-Spin Triple overhang will be formed, and can be cleared in the third bag. Depending on how you stack the second bag, you can follow up into other techniques, but I usually don't worry about those when I'm playing.

For me, the biggest advantage of setting up this bag correctly is that it guarantees the most powerful clear in the game overall, a Back-To-Back T-Spin Triple. This is very helpful when going up against another Tetris player.

However, DT Cannon is relatively easy to bungle. It's very easy for me to think it's a good idea to shift the I piece one to the right because I forget that I have to put the S piece there later.

When the O piece comes early in the first bag and the Z piece comes before the L piece, I can make an even more powerful opener than DT Cannon: Mr. T-Spin's STD. The configuration shown here results in a T-Spin Single in the first bag...

...followed by a Back-to-Back T-Spin Triple in the second...

...and a Back-to-Back T-Spin Double in the third. After this, I can semi-easily transition into a Back-to-Back Tetris setup for the remainder of the match.

That being said, this is the definition of "simple but inflexible." The I piece has to come before the O piece, and the Z piece has to come before the L piece. If anyone of these doesn't happen, then sorry, you aren't going to be able to do this.

And finally, Pelican. :geno:

I use this only when the bag permits none of the other bags, because it's awkward to start another T-Spin from it for me. I just use it to start a Back-to-Back Tetris setup with the Back-to-Back Bonus in place.

Not terribly exciting.

So those are the T-Spin Openers I use. I still have a difficult time figuring out when to setup for a T-Spin outside of the opening round of matches.

That being said, I am trying to practice a way that would allow me to combine the ease of Back-to-Back Tetris setups with the efficiency of T-Spin setups.

I'll elaborate on it in one of the later guides, but that's it for this one. Let's let the outro bring an end to this update.

Video - The Girl in the Puyo Hat - Outro

Click here to watch!

: You've calmed down a bit.
: Amitie?
: Hey, Ringo!
: I'm so glad you're alright!
: So we can go into the details later...
: ...but that boy over there in the ridiculously tight jumpsuit is Tee.
: He's going to help us out!

: You're welcome.
: Next up, let's go look for Arle!
: Is this "Arle" a friend as well?
: Oh she's the bestest there is!
: Just listen for a "Gugu." That means you're close!
: Um... a "Gugu"...?

: I think I heard a "Gugu" earlier!
: Alright.

: Pipi-Pi-Pipi!

Next time: A Cowering Canine

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 27, 2018

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

I'm going to be taking a more hands-off approach this time, on the theory that a creator-watched thread is a dead thread. I'm not going to allow myself to read this again until I'm done transcribing the next update.

Have fun!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

You seem to have made your link to that list of T-Spin setups a bit too long. Its tags broke.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Oh, this thread got posted! I have to say, while I miss your commentary I'm enjoying this streamlined version a lot.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

As someone who greatly enjoys Puyo Puyo but is hopeless at Tetris, I'll be watching this thread closely. Maybe I'll finally get to learning Tetris beyond depending on whatever residual skill remains from my 6-year old self playing NES Tetris.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reading all this stuff about T-Spins makes me feel like a chimpanzee reading a car repair manual.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is the rest of the crew named Eee, Arr and Ai?

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
So let me see if I understand this.

1) Tetris pieces used to be completely RNG and spawn 1 at a time, but now spawn 7 at a time in fixed groups, with the group being randomly picked from a fixed list All 7 pieces spawn in a random series of 7 pieces, so every 7 pieces gets exactly one copy of each piece spawned. These are called "bags".
2) Kicks have to do with rotating a piece at the last second to fit a space that it would not fit with a physical rotation. This is possible because it is a transformation and not a physical rotation This is basically a form of collision correction for when you rotate a piece but it would be blocked before it is set. Pieces have a set of behaviors based on which orientation they start in and move to. I may be confusing this with a wall kick, where the spin attack actually completes rows A spin attack is when you use this to complete rows.
3) You can hold a piece for later. When released, does this replace the current piece or push it back to next turn?

Please correct me. I'm gonna try and read that wiki again.

ultrafilter posted:

:doh:

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 18, 2018

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Alright, I'm done transcribing, and I promised myself I wouldn't look at the thread until then. Ooh, five six new posts. Feedback?

AweStriker posted:

You seem to have made your link to that list of T-Spin setups a bit too long. Its tags broke.

...Or I could have forgotten to put in a closing tag for the URL. :shepicide: Fixed.

limeicebreakers posted:

Oh, this thread got posted! I have to say, while I miss your commentary I'm enjoying this streamlined version a lot.

Yeah, someone in the Sandcastle said my whole commentary should go except when explanation is required. The game's going to ramp up in how ridiculous it becomes, and at that point I probably was going to shut up anyway. I feel like the first part is a little boring compared to the rest of the game.

Said first part was what got me hooked on the game, so to be honest I may have just been a plain old moron. :downs:

Super Jay Mann posted:

As someone who greatly enjoys Puyo Puyo but is hopeless at Tetris, I'll be watching this thread closely. Maybe I'll finally get to learning Tetris beyond depending on whatever residual skill remains from my 6-year old self playing NES Tetris.

Really Pants posted:

Reading all this stuff about T-Spins makes me feel like a chimpanzee reading a car repair manual.

...Hm. I was just going to talk about the differences between a Tetris v. Puyo and a Tetris v/ Tetris match, because we'll be seeing our first instance of one next update. The game itself actually shows the basic setups for a T-Spin Double and T-Spin Triple in the Expert Lesson, and the potency of those moves changes drastically in Tetris v. Tetris. (Although it says they're "mistakes." Bullshit, you know perfectly well what those are.) Perhaps I ought to back up first and explain the basics of T-Spin Doubles and Triples alongside that, because they're not as intuitive as a Tetris line clear but just as or more powerful than one. Not to mention that modern Tetris is very different from NES Tetris.

Also, I kind of assumed that more people would have the game, because I'm teaching the stuff it doesn't teach. Whoops.

ultrafilter posted:

You've got one half of the pun.

Here's a hint:

Look closely at the crew members' clothes.

mastersord posted:

So let me see if I understand this.

1) Tetris pieces used to be completely RNG and spawn 1 at a time, but now spawn 7 at a time in fixed groups, with the group being randomly picked from a fixed list All 7 pieces spawn in a random series of 7 pieces, so every 7 pieces gets exactly one copy of each piece spawned. These are called "bags".
2) Kicks have to do with rotating a piece at the last second to fit a space that it would not fit with a physical rotation. This is possible because it is a transformation and not a physical rotation This is basically a form of collision correction for when you rotate a piece but it would be blocked before it is set. Pieces have a set of behaviors based on which orientation they start in and move to. I may be confusing this with a wall kick, where the spin attack actually completes rows A spin attack is when you use this to complete rows.
3) You can hold a piece for later. When released, does this replace the current piece or push it back to next turn?

Please correct me. I'm gonna try and read that wiki again.

1) Got it in one.
2) Not exactly the last second. I soft drop it in instead of hard dropping it. Also, the only kick that the game rewards with extra rows is the T-Spin Triple. Otherwise, I think you got it.
3) When released, the held piece is swapped with the current piece. Sometimes, due to poor planning or a weird sequence of pieces, I will immediately swap the current held piece out right after playing my last held piece, so I could see why you might think it was the second one.

Holding actually is pretty important, since it allows me some limited way to move the order of pieces I place down. Depending on the sequence of pieces in the first bag, Holds are the only way to achieve T-Spin openers sometimes. (Especially when the T piece shows up early. :argh: )

Well I suppose there is a lesson in this: Explain things better, moron! At least this discussion happened before the update where I otherwise had nothing much planned, so I guess I should back up first and explain the new mechanics for the people who don't know about the modern quirks of Tetris. If any of the mechanics I've assumed you know because the game discusses them (Hard drop, Hold, T-Spin clears, spins in general, wallkicks, what a Combo even is, Perfect Clears, Back-to-Backs) confuse you, SPEAK UP NOW.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

Also, I kind of assumed that more people would have the game, because I'm teaching the stuff it doesn't teach. Whoops.

I do actually own the game! That still hasn't helped me not be terrible at Tetris :v:

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Super Jay Mann posted:

I do actually own the game! That still hasn't helped me not be terrible at Tetris :v:

...What parts are you bad at? Is it that some aspect of even just normal Tetris that trips you up? Or is it that you have the feeling that you're not good enough, even though you have a good grasp of the basics? I know why you might feel that way, if it makes you feel any better. Puyo Puyo Tetris can be brutal, even in the Tetris parts.

...Actually, I suppose that's why I'm making this. If you know what you are doing, the game's relatively high difficulty makes it very cathartic when you turn the tables and just obliterate the AI.

At least, that's part of why I'm playing this for the Internet. I want the AI's humiliation to be public. :getin:

But part of that reason also involves me teaching everyone who reads this, including you, to do the same. I was going to emphasize the Puyo Puyo parts, because if you don't know what you are doing in Puyo Puyo, it is miserable, but I don't want the Tetris AI to escape humiliation. So please, could you elaborate on why you're terrible at Tetris, so I have an idea of what to write about?

Also, if you haven't, go look at the Expert Lesson for Tetris in the game. It's not as barebones as you would expect.

EDIT: Either way, for anyone reading this, I am going to put in a refresher on T-Spins in the next update along with the planned content. I'm fine with that, since I have a large amount of footage to sift through for examples. What my question above in the post before this is really about is: what's gonna go in beside it? I don't want to seem pedantic, but if you don't understand something, I want to know what you don't understand and, more importantly, why, since otherwise I'm liable to make an obvious response that helps neither of us with comprehension of the concept, nor will I realize that an explanation is required.

Sorta like what happened with T-Spins. :v:

...T-Spins probably should have gone in the second update, in retrospect. :eng99:

EDIT 2: Actually, better idea: I'm going to put in the original content I planned to put in Update 3, and move the refresher to its own post. That way, I can put it in it's own section above the updates. It might be too late for the LP's current readers (:sweatdrop:), but at least new readers and archive readers (if when we get to that point) will have an idea what I'm talking about in the last update.

The bad news is that it will delay update 3. The good news is that afterward we should be working off the same page, and I definitely don't plan to make the same mistakes when we get to Puyo Puyo (because we will cover the basics of chaining then.)

...And I just realized that the way I plan to lay out update 5, it's probably going to take just as long as the first update did: while the first update involved transcribing 5 minutes of dialogue and getting my workflow set up, update 5 is going to involve transcribing the same amount of dialogue and writing three guides in one.

This is gonna be fun. :shepicide:

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 18, 2018

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

You've got one half of the pun.

Here's a hint:

Look closely at the crew members' clothes.
They're named and colour coded like the blocks. So I'm guessing they're named after block shapes?

The intro video made me think Ringo and friends would be the protagonist but so far we've only been playing as random tetris guy. Did I miss anything? :psyduck:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Don't worry, the viewpoint character will change from chapter to chapter.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

This. PPT teaches you the mechanic (you can spin a piece in a weird way to clear lines and score big where you might think you can't) but is absolutely zero help at identifying those opportunities.

It's not helped by Fever mode. Puyo Puyo Fever shows you lots of odd combo setups you could build yourself (and the ingame tutorial goes into how to set things up) but Tetris Fever, if it involves anything beyond "rotate move and drop fast" I can't see it.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Thanks for telling me what exactly you find hard.

...And to be honest, I think the general approach to learning a new technique in Tetris follows this general pattern:[list=1]
[*]Learn about technique X.
[*]Try to execute technique X instead of your usual techniques. (This is the hardest part, especially if the RNG is feeling spiteful, and usually requires a look at the list of pieces coming up and exploiting the hold function.)
[*]Learn to spot when setups into technique X are possible.
[*]Now spot opportunities for and execute X faster.

And if you succeed, you'll be more flexible in choosing how to utilize your pieces in an efficient manner. Yaaaaaay.

I think in addition to what I had for next update, I'll add a section on the basics of how to plan placing your pieces properly for a particular setup. It's way better than what I had to plan for the update. Thanks for the feedback!

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Update 3: The Cowering Canine

Video - 1-4 Puzzle Trial - Ultra Trial

Click here to watch!

Music: Block by Block ~ Beat by Beat

Kind of odd that what I would consider to be the hybrid of the other two types of Puzzle Trials would premiere before one of its parents, but whatever. The point of Ultra Trials is to score a certain number of points in a certain amount of time. The rub is that unlike Sprint the trial doesn't end when you reach the goal: instead, the timer continues to run down after you've accomplished the objective. To get more than one star, you have to get the point objectives after the required one in the same amount of time... which I do with one T-Spin Opener. :smug:
...And then continue onward and eventually do something stupid. :smugjones:

Let's get to the story part of this update, shall we?

Video - The Cowering Canine (Intro)

Click here to watch!

Music: Strange Folks at Work

: YIP YIP YIP!

The... dog-person cowering on the right is Ai, played by Joe J. Thomas.

If anyone knows him, please reply and give us info on any past role(s).

These two are Jay and Elle, both played by Wendee Lee.

Which surprised me the first time, because she does a pretty convincing voice for Jay.

Jay's the boy and Elle's the girl, just so you know.

: Yes, play with us, doggy~!
: We haven't played any pranks yet, right, Jay?
: That's right, Elle.

: We certainly didn't pelt him with live frogs...
: We haven't sprayed him with the hose...
: And we never even played tug-o'-war with his tail.
: We've behaved ourselves all day!
: YIP! YIP! Rrrgh!

: But those two are bullying a helpless puppy!
: Hm...

: Well, I guess, more importantly...
: Tee, what's going on here? Who are they?
: Those three are also part of my crew.
: The twins are Jay and Elle. They love their pranks.
: And then there's the one trembling in the corner...
: That's Ai, the SS Tetra's chief engineer.
: He's your... engineer?

: Don't worry. He's a bit jumpy sometimes, but he comes highly recommended.
: Jay! Elle! Leave him alone!

: We haven't done anything!
: Ai saw something that spooked him.
: And now he's too scared to move!
: Oh? And what did he see?

: And some strange girl was with him.
: But that's silly talk...!
: Hahaha! Yeah, Ai is silly!
: Is that...?
: Sounds like Arle alright.
: Ai, where did the girl go?

: YIP! YIP! YIP!
: *sigh*
: Pi-Pi-Pi...
: We're getting nowhere.
: I shall put him at ease... WITH A TETRIS BATTLE!

Video - The Cowering Canine

Click here to watch!

:argh: HOW?! Goddamnit RNG, stop helping the AI and- did he just lauch a Tetris with a +1 bonus from a combo? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

:stare: Um, I wasn't in the best in the best of states earlier...

Let's just forget that and move on.

So this the first Tetris v. Tetris matchup we've had in game. For the most part, the same garbage units as sent to Puyo boards are sent to Tetris boards. Particular clears, however, have the number of garbage amounts changed.
  • T-Spin Doubles send 4 garbage instead of 3.
  • T-Spin Triples send 6 garbage instead of 4. They are now the strongest line clear in the game.
  • Perfect Clears send 10 garbage instead of 6. However, combo bonuses don't apply to it; Perfect Clears always send 10 garbage.
  • Combo bonuses ramp up far more quickly than they do against Puyo Puyo players.
Needless to say, T-Spins become very powerful, which makes the T-Spin Openers I've been using far more effective, and generally opens up tactics against Tetris players that were of questionable use before against Puyo players.

Speaking of which...

So the reaction of the thread to T-Spin Openers was largely bewilderment. After thinking over it for a few days, my error came to me: I had forgotten to mention the basic methods of planning ahead in Tetris. And also not really elaborating on the mechanics of how T-Spins work, but there's a refresher on that I'll be writing up after this, so SSH!

So let's begin, shall we?

Gameplay Info: How I use the Piece Preview and Holds

Let's begin with a practical example, shall we? I'll show a series of images from the Ultra Trial becuase the ones from this stage... somehow kept coming out red after I wrote the last draft despite looking fine in the videos.

That game is just plain cursed.

Excuse the parts of the background poking through. The interface for this game is nice looking, but drat if it isn't hard to compress it down while making it look good.

I'm not showing a timer in the following screenshots so we can focus on my approach to this game, but because it becomes an important factor later I'll put the amount of time remaining below the screenshots of my playing field.

Anyway, to the right is the preview of upcoming Tetronimos. The things that jump out at me immediately:
  • We're starting on an S Tetronimo. That's never good if we're trying to get a T-Spin Opener going.
  • We've got an O Tetronimo coming right up. That suggests to me Mr. T-Spin's STD setup is the way to go for the opening, although that's contingent on Z coming before L.
  • ...Which it is! Mr. T-Spin's STD it is!

83 seconds remain.

As we come off the end of the first bag, we haven't had to use Hold once... but we have to immediately coming into the second bag, as the second T piece came before the T-Spin Triple has been setup yet. Because this is the first time we've had to hold a Tetromino, we skip straight to the next piece, but this would be a bad sign if this were any other T-Spin formation.

77 seconds remain.

The only really tricky part of the second bag is the placement of the O, S and Z pieces. We can always stack them in some way, but we have to know their order first. The rest are mostly placed in constant positions.

68 seconds remain.

This is what the board looks like when we're done with the second bag. Unfortunately, we have to keep our T piece from the second bag on hold due to another early T-piece... but not for long.

55 seconds remain.

I'm done with the T-Spin Opener!

...Though not without me making a mistake in timing. I could reasonably have just stacked the J and L pieces on top of one another and waited until I had to place down the I piece to do the T-Spin double.

Incidentally, this is about where I start flagging.

After I determine the L doesn't fit on top of the O, I finally do what I should have done a while ago: stack the L on top of the J. This gets rid of the big gap in my stack and flattens it at the same time.

Then I do something stupid.

43 seconds remain, by the way.

I decide to skim with the held L block when a much better move would have been to put my I piece there and complete the Back-to-Back Tetris setup without breaking the Back-To-Back bonus.

What's skimming? Well, it's a way of using line clears to even up a lopsided stack. ...Though what I usually see as skimming involves clears not made against the ground... unlike here.

39 seconds remain.

I finally get the hint to put the I piece on the right side, and as a result I have a fairly good stack now.

34 seconds remain.

This ends up being my second-to-last Tetris this game. Yeah, I have a T piece coming in to flatten out the left, but I get a horrible run of pieces that prove to be tricky to place.

25 seconds remain.

My troubles begin in earnest. The gap in the fourth column from the right is very bad, because that can be only fixed by an L or I piece. I end up having to swap my held O piece for the J piece to place it on top of the other O piece, which means I have to fix up the gap there with an I piece. The T piece is placed facing right on top of the Z piece, leaving the L piece to fix that horrid gap.

15 seconds remain.

At this point the time is starting to become a critical factor in my choices. It ends with me doing something stupid.

8 and a half seconds remain.

And here's me starting the final Tetris. Now it's just a desperate struggle to get in one last clear before time's up. I put the J in hold and place the Z piece atop it's bretheren in the middle. And if I had let the J piece stay there, I could have ended this with a double by hard dropping the O block into the right.

1 second remains.

:sigh:

And that's the game. Hopefully this guide through my thought processes for this particular set of instances was eyeopening and far more enlightening than watching me lose my composure to what is ultimately a construct of silicon. I guess I'll... let myself lead us out to the outro...

This is so weird.

:argh: Now I have to loving downstack and... wait, I won?! loving FINALLY! :dance: How did that turn out?

This isn't really enlightening anything for my readers other than I really hate the AI sometimes.
Jesus Christ. I'm going to have to rewrite this. Hopefully without losing my composure. Again.
:sigh:

Video - The Cowering Canine (Outro)

Click here to watch!

: Are you better now?
: Indeed. It was a splendid battle, and I've returned to my senses.
: Now then, as for the peculiar duo I saw...
: I believe they ambled off in that direction.
: Excellent! Thanks, Ai.
: Whoa...!
: Something wrong, Ringo?
: No, it's just... he really made a night-and-day recovery. It was really impressive.

: Hey, now we know where Arle is!
: Alright, let's go!

Next time: Tomboy in Trouble

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 19, 2018

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

I've also finished dealing with minor formatting errors and redundant screenshots. in the updates so far. Believe it or not, the titles of the videos were not supposed to have a line break between them and the screenshot.

Oops.

EDIT: And added Updates 2 and 3 to the OP. Can't even write my own correction post correctly the first time around.

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 19, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Anyway, to the right is the preview of upcoming Tetronimos. The things that jump out at me immediately:
  • We're starting on an S Tetronimo. That's never good if we're trying to get a T-Spin Opener going.
  • We've got an O Tetronimo coming right up. That suggests to me Mr. T-Spin's STD setup is the way to go for the opening, although that's contingent on Z coming before L.
  • ...Which it is! Mr. T-Spin's STD it is!

I don't know if you're going to explain this later, but I don't understand some of that. Why O dropping early and Z coming before L are important?

I never played this game before, but it sounds interesting. My only experience with Puyo is Puyo Pop Fever. I tried Puyo VS for a while but didn't get really far before getting my rear end kicked. I'm looking forward to learning tips and tricks to both Puyo and Tetris.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 19, 2018

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

1234567890num posted:

I don't know if you're going to explain this later, but I don't understand some of that. Why O dropping early and Z coming before L are important?

I never played this game before, but it sounds interesting. My only experience with Puyo is Puyo Pop Fever, which has no official mode here (I don't count big bang). I tried Puyo VS for a while, but didn't get really far before getting my rear end kicked. I'm looking forward to learning tips and tricks to both Puyo and Tetris.

If you look at the next screenshot and try to reason out how to build it, you'll quickly come to realize why.

The I piece has to rest on top of the O piece and the L has to rest on top of the Z piece in order for Mr. T-Spin's STD to work. If one of them was false, I could get around it with hold (unless the T piece came early), but if both of them were false I couldn't do this T-Spin Opener.

Also, you knew of Puyo Pop Fever, a commercial flop in North America? ...I'm impressed.

EDIT: And yeah, the Puyo Puyo part is definitely going to be the main focus of this guide because Puyo Puyo has a learning curve as steep as a cliff without a guide, and it's not terribly fun at low level play.

In fact, that will be coming up right after this next update, so look forward to that.

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 19, 2018

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

If you look at the next screenshot and try to reason out how to build it, you'll quickly come to realize why.

The I piece has to rest on top of the O piece and the L has to rest on top of the Z piece in order for Mr. T-Spin's STD to work. If one of them was false, I could get around it with hold (unless the T piece came early), but if both of them were false I couldn't do this T-Spin Opener.

Also, you knew of Puyo Pop Fever, a commercial flop in North America? ...I'm impressed.

I see. Thanks for explaining. I couldn't wrap my head around T-spin setups.

I don't remember who I got Puyo Pop Fever from. I just remember that the people I used to play it with were absolutely terrible. As in, they refused to make more than one chain, even after I repeatedly explained that having bigger chain is better :cripes:

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

1234567890num posted:

I see. Thanks for explaining. I couldn't wrap my head around T-spin setups.

I don't remember who I got Puyo Pop Fever from. I just remember that the people I used to play it with were absolutely terrible. As in, they refused to make more than one chain, even after I repeatedly explained that having bigger chain is better :cripes:

Sorry to hear about that. :( For reference, how long were the chains you made?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I usually made 5. Sometimes 7 if I got the right pieces for the tail. Can't seem to get the hang of transition. I'm looking forward to you showing how it's done :eng101:

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Alright, I put a refresher on T-Spin Doubles and Triples in the second post. If any of you want to know what you have to to for a T-Spin Double or Triple, that is the place to go.

Otherwise, I'll see you when the next update is posted.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Update 4: Tomboy in Trouble

Video - 1-6 Puzzle Trial - Marathon Trial

Click here to watch!

Music: Block By Block ~ Beat by Beat

So Marathon Trials are the final kind of Puzzle Trial... for Tetris at least. The goal is to get a certain amount of points before a certain number of lines are cleared. In this case, it's 3000 points. However, if we want three stars, we need to get 5000 points in 10 lines. The big thing here, however, is that we're under no time pressure here, so we can take as long as the minimum pace of the game mandates.

So remember how last time I taught you about build order? Watch the video above and see if you can figure out what to do next given the pieces coming up and the currently held block before I do. I paused several times during this to think through my next moves, so you'll have plenty of time to figure something out. If any of you come up with alternate solutions, then please reply in the thread. I'll spoiler what T-Spin Opener I chose and how it ended so that those of you who don't feel like doing the exercise/watching the video (if you're serious about getting better at Tetris, do the exercise) know what I ended up doing.
DT Cannon ending with a Double Perfect Clear. :smug:

So now onto the main chapter for this update.

Video - Tomboy in Trouble (Intro)

Click here to watch!

Music: Travelers Woes'

Alright, another new character! This one is played by... Joe J. Thomas again...

...Seriously, has anyone found anything on this guy? Cause this is the second character he's playing, and TVTropes the place I'm looking all of this up on has nothing on him.

: H-Hey... D-Don't come any closer. I'm warning you...

Still not giving him a portrait.

: Surrender yourselves at once.
: Get away! I'll never give in!
: Someone! Help me!

: Oh my gosh!
: What's going on?
: That big, round robot's got Arle trapped!
: Arle, you hear me? Run! He's probably too fat to chase you!

: Um, Amitie, he looks like he's pretty athletic...
: Arle, don't move. We're gonna rescue you!
: Ringo? Amitie?
: I'm so happy to see you!
: Us too! I'm glad you're alright.
: What was that piece of junk trying to do to you?

: It was horrible! He had this whole list of demands...
: That sounds awful.
: What sort of "list of demands"!?
: Oh my... He made me so uncomfortable, Ringo.

: He said I need to eat my veggies, and I can't play with my food!
: He even lectured me about *gulp* proper hand sanitization techniques!
: Oh dear!
: That's not at all where I thought this was headed...

: My apologies.
: Meet Zed, the last member of the Tetra's crew.
: He means well, but I guess he can overdo it some days.
: So this thing's your friend...?
: That's correct.

: Um... No.
: We shall do BATTLE before I ever give in to your oppressive demands!
: Well... *sigh*
: Have it your way!
: Good luck, Tee!

: Just leave her to me!
: Bring on the Puyo Puyo!
: Bring on the Tetris!

Video - Tomboy in Trouble

Click here to watch!

Gameplay Info: Combo Setups and You!

I'll be honest here: Combos in Tetris are very hit-or-mis If you do one right, you're basically guaranteed to spike out your enemy, regardless of whether you're playing Puyo Puyo or Tetris. But they can also be risky; the easier Combo Setups you can do will also leave you vulnerable to being spiked out, and the trickier ones will cause problems if the RNG decides it doesn't like you.

They're also probably the most fun tool you can utilize against a Puyo Puyo player.

So here's the catch to Combos: you don't actually start getting bonuses for continuing the combos until you make two consecutive line clears in a row. So the first two line clears you make should contribute their own garbage without any Combo bonuses. In addition, the clears should add up to at least 7 Tetris Garbage: any lower, and you would be better off just launching all of those attacks separately instead of weaving them into a Combo. What combo setup you choose to do afterward, however, is up to you. Here are the most popular choices:
  • A two-wide is the easiest combo setup to create and continue, but its potential for combos is not very high. However, the clears it does make are often clears that send their own garbage, so it can still pack a punch. It involves setting up a stack of Tetriminos such that a two-wide gap is created, hence the name.
  • A three-wide is a compromise between difficulty and combo potential. It has more combo potential than a two-wide setup, but it's also more difficult to build the setup and continue the combo. You do the same as above, but leave a three-wide gap instead of a two-wide one.
  • A four-wide is so difficult to build that it's actually considered very risky; depending on how you decide to build it, you risk inciting either the wrath of your opponent, if they are paying attention to what you are doing, or the RNG's. However, it also has the highest combo potential, and if you get one off and continue long enough your opponent is going to lose regardless of what they do after you start. You once again build a stack with a four-wide gap, but this time you also leave three parts of a Tetrimino poking out to make it easier to execute your combo. Executing the combo requires a lot of careful planning, which your opponent may choose to exploit if you're too slow to execute your combo as a result.
If you can string together a long enough Combo, you can pretty much kill your opponent straight up, so don't be afraid to setup and start a combo if you can't see a way of getting any other offensive going.

But anyway, with this, we've found all of Ringo's friends. Is this finally over?

Video - Tomboy in Trouble (Outro)

Click here to watch!

: Is everyone satisfied now? Are we all safe and sound?
: You betcha!
: But wait! You weren't popping Puyos just now!
: Affirmative.
: I know, right? I was surprised at first too.
: He calls the whole thing "Tetris."
: Oooooh~!
: We've been to so many worlds, but there's always something new to learn, huh?
: The world's a big place, isn't that right, Carby?

: What matters is that we're all together again!
: Now we just need to figure out how to get home...
: Usually, we just pop Puyos until it teleports us back. Um... let's pop some more?

: You don't seem too concerned by our predicament.

Music: Silence

An alarm begins blaring and the screen intermittently becomes tinted red

: Tee! Wh-What's happening?
: That's the Tetra's emergency alarm!

: Let's get to the cockpit. Something's happening.
: We need to hurry!

Next time: The Finale is Underway!

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

The reason this update took this long is that I developed a really nasty blister on my right thumb. I'm only now able to type at an acceptable speed.

Chances are the next update's going to be even worse, because of several factors:
  • Said blister on my right thumb keeps me from being able to play Puyo Puyo. It'll get better very soon, but until then I'm basically unable to play Puyo Puyo Tetris.
  • The next update's going to be freakin' huge. Three guides in one update and four cutscenes are not trivial, along with whatever additional stuff I'm going to have to do to ensure the full experience.
  • I'm also starting to get busy on stuff other than this LP. I'm pretty good at distributing the work for this LP, but even that has its limits.
So yeah, I'm basically not going to be able to update for a while. (A while could also mean 'a week,' though.)

But I am able to answer questions. So ask away, I suppose.

EDIT: Some news: It turns out I can play Puyo Puyo Tetris without aggravating the injury... but it will involve me removing the only thing preventing me from aggravating the injury.

So either way, I'll be able to do the update... But everything else still applies. I'll aim to record footage tonight and then start making the update either during or after this weekend... because of course I have work I have to do, and the update itself is going to be pretty large.

So... watch this space???

Also, if you have any feedback for the LP so far, now would be the time to air it.

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 22, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm hoping it does something sufficiently weird later, like maybe Ringo throws the apple she is sometimes holding at someone showing that that sprite is actually foreshadowing, or that something happens to Tee and you end up having to play Tetris as a PuyoPuyo character, or vice versa with Tee having to learn to Puyo.

But yeah, this is a fun LP. Just don't hurt yourself.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm hoping it does something sufficiently weird later, like maybe Ringo throws the apple she is sometimes holding at someone showing that that sprite is actually foreshadowing, or that something happens to Tee and you end up having to play Tetris as a PuyoPuyo character, or vice versa with Tee having to learn to Puyo.

But yeah, this is a fun LP. Just don't hurt yourself.

That last one is kind of hard, because I'm presently suppressing the desire to hurt myself, which is in turn an attempt to suppress the urge to hurt the Switch I'm playing this on. :shepicide:

All I'm going to say is that the loving AI and the loving RNG seemed to loving conspired to ruin my day this session.

I'm going to try again tomorrow to get a better play session after I've had some rest.

Ironically, getting the material for the guides, which I thought was going to be the worst part of this, was the easy part.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
It's strange how Arle's adventures got from Madou Monogatari into this.

The first Madou Monogatari game features a six years old Arle trying to pass a magical kindergarten exam in a tower filled with illusionary monsters. This may sound cutesy, but it was not played this way in earlier versions. For example, there is one enemy type who would kiss Arle as an attack. She would comment that she felt strange and the music would then get weird until Arle took enough steps to walk the effect off. Before passing the exam, Arle got treated to an illusion of her classmates having their faces melted into grotesque zombie like shapes.

The second Madou Monogatari has a now sixteen years old Arle locked into a cell with a skeleton (the non moving type), implying that this is how she would have ended up had she not escaped. Later, she encounters another human being and beheads him in combat. The game shows blood forming around her foe's neck in a surprising detail for that time.

Yeah, things have changed a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

So does anyone actually read the cutscenes or do you just skip straight to the guides?

'Cause I just fixed a portrait that was the wrong size but looked really out-of-place in the update where it happened, and yet there were zero posts pointing it out.

Well, that was part of why I'm posting. The other part is that I'm done with the next loving update. :dance: :toot:

Mark your calendars, folks. Assuming nothing goes wrong (famous last words), tomorrow is GARBAGE DAY.

Jesus Christ I'm ashamed of that joke and I did it six times in the descriptions of the videos for tomorrow's update.

Only one way to save myself from the inevitable train wreck.

...Well before that.

Crystalgate posted:

It's strange how Arle's adventures got from Madou Monogatari into this.

The first Madou Monogatari game features a six years old Arle trying to pass a magical kindergarten exam in a tower filled with illusionary monsters. This may sound cutesy, but it was not played this way in earlier versions. For example, there is one enemy type who would kiss Arle as an attack. She would comment that she felt strange and the music would then get weird until Arle took enough steps to walk the effect off. Before passing the exam, Arle got treated to an illusion of her classmates having their faces melted into grotesque zombie like shapes.

The second Madou Monogatari has a now sixteen years old Arle locked into a cell with a skeleton (the non moving type), implying that this is how she would have ended up had she not escaped. Later, she encounters another human being and beheads him in combat. The game shows blood forming around her foe's neck in a surprising detail for that time.

Yeah, things have changed a bit.

If the fight you're talking about is the fight I'm thinking of, then you forgot the most absurd part of the fight.

The head of her opponent proceeds to continue fighting despite no longer having a body. :dogstare:

The early parts of Arle's history get really weird sometimes.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to save myself from the fallout of the next update.

:suicide: