Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Crazy idea, treat the playoff like a glorified exhibition brought to you by advertisers and a board of people trying to make as many people as much money as possible. Then, instead of getting all wound up about that charade, get amped for rivalry week and conference championships instead.

I mean, hell, it worked for however many years in there, why not just stick with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thinkin’ bout thos dawgs

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hed posted:

Thinkin’ bout thos dawgs

Thinkin' they gonna eat us alive, but doing the same.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How about you can only play until you lose.

So when the last undefeated team in the country is 4-0 the season is done and they are champions.

If every team loses on the same weekend then everybody gets cut from every team.

On the flip side if two teams are 37-0 they play each other.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Football has too much variance to count on a one-off game as a definitive result.

64-team tournament, best of 5 for the first 4 rounds and best of 7 after that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You could have a triple elimination 100 team playoff and Alabama is still going to win the title.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

PostNouveau posted:

Football has too much variance to count on a one-off game as a definitive result.

And that's why bama gets to play for a title without the sec championship

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Tomorrow is Texas State-UTSA, and we're a 7-point underdog despite UTSA being 0-3. Hooray!

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
FSU going to potentially lose to Northern Illinois at home tomorrow.

Cleveland Browns win first game of 21st century last night.

Today I feel... strange. An entree of happiness with a side of nervous anxiety.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1043257576912297985

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

fire and criminally charge every person on maryland's coaching staff hth

https://twitter.com/JamesCrabtreeH/status/1043254179198840833

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JonathonSpectre posted:

FSU going to potentially lose to Northern Illinois at home tomorrow.

Cleveland Browns win first game of 21st century last night.

Today I feel... strange. An entree of happiness with a side of nervous anxiety.

NIU's pass rush is really good I'm pretty sure they're beating FSU unless FSU can get some defensive TDs or something

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Jesus Christ.

Even if you're of the mindset of 'these kids are too soft' why not just let the medical people take care of them immediately once you give up on them. 30 minutes after he'd been taken off the field before they called the team physician (ignoring that he was likely taken off much later than he should have been).

e: wait, what?

https://twitter.com/JamesCrabtreeH/status/1043253306867507200

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 21, 2018

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wow nice Friday evening news drop

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Shouldn't have mattered Okie State still should have played LSU for it. That rematch was shameless bullshit and it didn't even net ratings because no one wanted to see it. it's the only national title game in probably the past 15 years I haven't watched.

I thought it was a great title game, personally.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

no poo poo

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

mastershakeman posted:

I ironically rooted for Akron for 2 quarters then sincerely for 2 quarters while wearing Akron gear in northwesterns stadium but now that it appears Akron hadn't beaten a big 10 team since 1894: lollllll

You from Akron?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

PostNouveau posted:

Tulsa-Temple. The team that almost beat Texas vs. the team that beat the team that beat Texas pretty good. It's a clash of the titans!

:doink:

:lol: They're trying out some insane thing where they have a former QB in the booth acting out what the Tulsa QB is doing and explaining his thought process.

Got awkward when someone got injured. It's horrible. It's the dumbest thing ever it's a good thing no one is watching this.

Can we go back in time and do this for Vince Young please

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't want anything to happen that hurts current kids who had to experience one of their teammates dying on top of probably having to go through the same poo poo, but it feels like this is the sort of thing that NCAA should be using its power to discourage.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

Yep, I forgot the two Sugar Bowl losses when Bama, having not won the SEC, meh'd around the Superdome for a few hours.

This has always been such a bullshit excuse for 'Bama's losses in the postseason. As if a central part of college football's culture and mystique hasn't been meaningless postseason games. "Not a natty game, they just didn't care enough!"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm working on a spreadsheet right now - does anyone know when the American Athletic Conference's current TV deal expires?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Edward Mass posted:

I'm working on a spreadsheet right now - does anyone know when the American Athletic Conference's current TV deal expires?

July 1, 2020, according to this article.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Flikken posted:

You from Akron?

No. Northwest illinois, went to Illinois Urbana Champaign, live in Evanston. Brother in law born and raised in Alabama and went to bama, so we decided to treat northwestern like he treats Auburn and just heckle nonstop

Speaking of Illinois I went to bed prior to the 4th quarter but even with the final score I was still really happy with how they looked. I like lovie and hope he gets a lot of 6-6 years with a clean program

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Pakled posted:

July 1, 2020, according to this article.

Negotiation on the next TV deal has already started. The AAC gets about 25 million per year now. There's a lot folks with visions of the AAC getting up to 100 or 120 million and at least try to keep up with the P5s. I don't have faith in that happening unless another network actually puts in bids for AAC games instead of blowing smoke up Mike Aresco's rear end like CBS and NBC did in 2013. If ESPN is the only taker again the AAC is getting the same money they give Conference USA (nothing) or the Sun Belt (whom after production costs actually loses money being on TV).

If the price starts getting too high, we might see the networks leak some realignment talk as it could be cheaper to just pay a P5 to take the AAC's top two or four TV draws and give the gutted AAC nothing.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 22, 2018

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
News:

Views:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What in the gently caress that wasn't remotely in the back

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

pretty neat arm punt