Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have a Rolleiflex 2.8C. The PC sync socket looks dirty and corroded, and doesn't seem to be able to make a good connection - a connected flash sometimes fires, sometimes doesn't. This happens with both a normal PC sync cord and a Rolleiflex-specific one (that has the collar that's supposed to be held by those small wires moved out of the way by the release knob).

Does anyone have some advice on how to clean it up nicely?

e: I cleaned it nicely, but it turned out my flash just had dodgy batteries :v:

k-zed fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Djeser posted:

This is probably something simple but I've never had to deal with it before so I'm not quite sure what's wrong. I've got a black fleck showing up in my photos. I tried changing the lens, but it's still there, so I assume it's something on the sensor? It only showed up about halfway through the batch of photos I was shooting and it's not always at the same angle.

Yeah, that's likely some sensor dust. You can try using an air blower (something similar to this ), those are nice for cleaning sensors.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have a Rolleiflex 2.8GX in otherwise great condition. Unfortunately, the focus calibration between its viewing lens and taking lens is off - by a lot.

The taking lens appears to be fine, it focuses to infinity or to measured distances. I verified these using both a spare ground glass taped on the rails on the back, and using film tests. The viewing lens focuses in front of the taking lens (so it can't focus on infinity) - for objects at around 3m distance, the knob has to be turned to around 4m to get the viewing lens in focus.

I adjusted some old Rolleis with similar problems, with some success, using the ground glass taped on the back trick. However, for those Rolleis, there were two small slots around the circumference of the viewing lens. Using a lens spanner fit to those slots, the front element of the viewing lens could be screwed in or out to make fine adjustments of focus.

On this 2.8GX, I can't see any slots on the circumference of the lens. I think there may be some sort of front cover hiding them (or maybe they use a completely different method).

For comparison, here's the viewing lens of a 2.8C, with the slots:

The 2.8GX, with no slots:

Does anyone have a hint on how to adjust the viewing lens here?

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sauer posted:

You don't want to adjust the viewing lens that way anyhow. You've loosened it from its socket on the older Rolleis and its free to vibrate its way out or get knocked out of focus even more with handling. The viewing lens is screwed tightly into a tube that is screwed into the lens board. A jam nut locks the tube in place. Unfortunately to adjust things properly you need to take the front cover off and that also involves prying up the leatherette.

Here's a good series of posts on adjusting Rolleiflex focus. Its for an Automat but I'm pretty sure all models use the same method.

How to fix Rolleiflex Automat, Testing Focus
How to fix Rolleiflex Automat, Front cover Disassembly
How to fix Rolleiflex Automat, Setting focus

Thanks, this is very helpful!