Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm tempted to make an offer on this lens with a fungus problem. It's a rare lens, for what I would consider a great price, but obviously the question of whether it can be adequately cleaned is a concern. Also the marks on the retaining ring where someone tried to open the lens and slipped... Yikes. Looks like they didn't damage the glass though. Does anyone have experience cleaning fungus out of lenses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Cool, thanks. I'm gonna go for it. I'll probably attempt to clean it and I'll document it for the thread if I do.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Maybe find a local camera repair shop and see if they have a screw that fits laying around? Or any place that does small mechanical device repair. Guitar shops tend to have a million tiny screws in the back, and the type of set screw used to hold a guitar volume knob on might be exactly what you need. Most places aren't gonna charge you more than a buck if you just need one screw. Alternately just go to a hardware store and see if they have anything that fits. OR... cannibalize a screw from any small broken Japanese electronics you may have or can find.

Cleaned and lubed the shutter speed mechanism on this old gummed up Graphex yesterday. Seems to work perfectly now. Took several attempts at reassembly before I got all the springs seated in the correct places. Should have taken more/better pictures during the tear-down.

One thing I came to realize is back when these things were all assembled by hand they're not designed for the amount of torque on the screws that you would encounter on something more modern. Things will bind if you tighten them like you would on even something made in the '80s.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Megabound posted:

A quick go on my home made shutter speed tester shows that I don't need to worry about going back in and adjusting my timings which is a great relief.

Did you do a post about making this? I would love to read about it.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Awesome thanks! It's kinda all Greek to me at this point but I'm sure I can figure it out. I did a CLA on a Wollensak Graphex shutter a while back too and I think I also got lucky with the speeds, but it would be nice to verify. I've got a couple lenses for my C330 that are possibly a little suspect too.