Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Sauer posted:

You don't want to adjust the viewing lens that way anyhow. You've loosened it from its socket on the older Rolleis and its free to vibrate its way out or get knocked out of focus even more with handling. The viewing lens is screwed tightly into a tube that is screwed into the lens board. A jam nut locks the tube in place. Unfortunately to adjust things properly you need to take the front cover off and that also involves prying up the leatherette.

Here's a good series of posts on adjusting Rolleiflex focus. Its for an Automat but I'm pretty sure all models use the same method.

How to fix Rolleiflex Automat, Testing Focus
How to fix Rolleiflex Automat, Front cover Disassembly
How to fix Rolleiflex Automat, Setting focus

What he said. Don't just stick the spanner in there and rotate the viewing lens. You can see in the pic above why.

Do it properly - aka take the leather and then the entire front off. I swear to god I've had like three Rolleiflexes that had been handled like that and two had the grub screw shorn off or damaged. It made me want to kill that dumb rear end in a top hat that did that. Again, do it properly.

Taking lens focus is adjusted by taking off the focus knob and loosening the nut so that the front standard can be racked back and forth freely. Use ground glass to adjust infinity position. Put focus knob and nut back on. Set viewing lens to agree with the taking lens on infinity. There you are.

Sorta post-script: IMO the Rolleiflex GX/FX is kina crap. I disliked the one I tried a lot: it's cheapened, the light meter is horrible, the automat mechanism is gone, lots of plastic inside, the lens also offered no advantages whatsoever over the 2.8F Planar. So I ended up selling it, for a profit, go figure. Get an "2.8F" model save your bucks, get the better camera.

Edit: Sorry, made image less obscenely large.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

rockear posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm gonna go for it. I'll probably attempt to clean it and I'll document it for the thread if I do.

If you use an adjustable spanner it helps if you use one of your thumbs to apply pressure towards the outside. I'd show you how I hold it but I'm at work, so I can't. This way you may nick up the filter thread, but not the glass if you slip. Ideally though as Prez. Beep & Sauer says a rubber stopper or tube is your best bet for undoing those.