Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Just finished cleaning up an SRT102. Took off top plate to clean focusing screen, replaced VF window and advance lever and now it’s a nice clean camera with a great viewfinder. Had it serviced a few years ago to get the slow speeds timed right and it’s been sitting ever since. Since I’m shooting with it now but haven’t developed anything yet I decided to check out the fast shutter speeds, really just out of idle curiosity. I’ve known a few horizontal cloth focal plane shutters in my life to have uneven exposures due to second curtain drag (Kiev60, Pentax67, NikonF3) but that’s always been something I’ve determined by looking at the photos. I don’t have photos from this camera to look at yet, so I tried recording its movement with the 240fps mode on my iPhone…

Well, hell. That’s 1/1000. It sure looks to me like the gap between the curtains is growing as they travel. The slant is of course from the rolling shutter. There’s a little bit of motion blur, too, but just comparing the two frames it appears the gap is growing.

What do you think, is this a valid method of assessment and a likely conclusion to draw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I am trying to open up a Nikon F unmetered prism finder and for whatever reason one of the screws holding the top cover in place is impacted. Either someone was in here before and messed with it or it was over tightened at the factory or it has some very locally specific corrosion, but it is being a real SOB regardless.

The head has a very shallow single slot. No way I’m going to be able to get enough grip with a little flathead screwdriver. Thinking I will need to make a 1mm threaded hole in the head to extract it. I guess the bit needs to be “backwards” for making a hole that an extraction tool goes into counterclockwise?

Has anyone had to do this before, and maybe have a recommendation for what I need to buy?

Figure I will need a manual drill, a reverse bit, and an extractor. Is that right?

Anyone know of any alternate methods? I’ve messed around with lots of very tiny little screws in all sorts of cameras, but I’ve never encountered one that was this loving stuck.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Nikon F2! Anyone ever use one? This little shadow from the reflex mirror clip is visible on the bottom here even when using a 35/2. Although not as prominent, it’s still pretty noticeable. Here it is when looking at the sky with a 200mm

Oh man, does this mean that the vf/focusing screen/mirror is out of alignment somewhere?