Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I recently got a lot of point and shoot digicams for free but one of them, a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX55, is not functioning correctly. It powers on fine but the lens will fully extend and retract 2-3 times and then a message comes on the screen telling you to power the camera off and back on.

After looking around the most common issue seems to be some sort of dirt/debri inside the lens. I've fully disassembled the camera and gave all the gears and moving parts a good dusting but the issue persists. There is one very small gear attached to the focus motor that I can't fully access but it seems fairly clean.

To anyone with more experience with digicams, can you think of anything else that would cause this behavior? I'm assuming the camera has some sort of sensor to calculate whether or not the motors are working too hard and the camera is at risk, could that sensor (if it exists) be malfunctioning? Seriously any ideas you have would be great. I'm having fun tinkering and not quite ready to give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

CRAYON posted:

I recently got a lot of point and shoot digicams for free but one of them, a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX55, is not functioning correctly. It powers on fine but the lens will fully extend and retract 2-3 times and then a message comes on the screen telling you to power the camera off and back on.

After looking around the most common issue seems to be some sort of dirt/debri inside the lens. I've fully disassembled the camera and gave all the gears and moving parts a good dusting but the issue persists. There is one very small gear attached to the focus motor that I can't fully access but it seems fairly clean.

To anyone with more experience with digicams, can you think of anything else that would cause this behavior? I'm assuming the camera has some sort of sensor to calculate whether or not the motors are working too hard and the camera is at risk, could that sensor (if it exists) be malfunctioning? Seriously any ideas you have would be great. I'm having fun tinkering and not quite ready to give up.

Turns out the lens was not fully extending before retracting. It was getting stuck with like 1mm left to go. I ended up just giving the lens a very tiny amount of help once it extended as far as it could on its own, and that was enough to get it working.

Taking the thing apart 3 times probably wasn't necessary, but I did remove quite a bit of dust/grime so I'm going comfort myself by saying it was totally completely worth it.