Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Keen eyed viewers might notice that the magical torc he picked up and equipped as his very first piece of loot gave him a -5 bonus to his armor rating everywhere. There are four "accessory" slots, that provide a passive effect - bracelets, belts, torcs, and amulets. These either provide an armor rating bonus (up to a maximum of -5) or a bonus to a stat. The sticker price on that Ebony Torc is 25000 GP, so the very first piece of random treasure rojo found is one of the most valuable and useful items in the game.

Some useful things to know if anyone is interested in playing the game themselves...
The other four magic item slots are marks, crystals, bracelets, and rings, and these always contain a spell. Anyone can use them, and while they aren't ever strictly mandatory, they can be incredibly helpful. These items can be recharged by repairing them at a blacksmith.
All magic armor is plate armor; there is no magical leather or chain armor at all.
If your class cannot use or wear an item, it will never appear on the buy menu in shops.
There are no classes that can cast spells that can also wear plate armor (and thus magic armor).
The three "base" classes in the game are thief, warrior, and mage. Most subclasses are superior to the base classes, but require 25% more experience points to level up in exchange. Experience points are rarely in short supply, and you'll never be more than a level behind at any given XP total, so the base classes are usually the worst option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

rojogames posted:

I figured that torc was pretty good but I didn't realize how good. Quite a lucky find so early, and as my first piece of loot as well. In my testing I had found a bunch of dwarven / elven quality torcs I think. That bit about the shops is good to know. Next time I'm recording and have to do a little shopping it'll be easier knowing that anything I can buy, I can use, save weapons apparently.

I got around to watching the second video, and I can't help myself. There are a few ways to spend money in this game, and the choice. Is. Yours.

When making anything in the spellmaker, per-level effects are tremendously more efficient than fixed effects. Due to the way cost scales, you can eventually make spells whose costs scale down to 0 and are completely free to cast. Some spells just aren't worth making until you're higher level and can take advantage of level scaling/cost reduction. Spells with an AOE centered on you can't hit you, but you can hit yourself with any AOE spell you launch, so ranged AOE spells tend to be a liability on top of being very expensive. Create Shield spells don't expire over time, only as you absorb damage.

As a caster, you will want to maintain an incredibly healthy supply of Potions of Restore Power for dungeon dives, as resting is generally unsafe. Each restores 25 magicka at the cost of 75 gold pieces

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

rojogames posted:

Cool, I do want to revisit the spell maker, but I might not do so immediately. I know I can get some offensive magic via marks, etc, but I also want a couple spells in my book just in case, even though they're twice as expensive for a healer. Those pots really don't give much magicka considering my theoretical cap of 200. Still, I agree I should get more, and probably will before the next dungeon.

I'm not trying to steer you too hard, just provide some useful information. This game really hasn't aged well, and was built in an era where the idea of running around doing fetch quests for pocket change and random enemies constantly spawning in dungeons behind you were standard expected game features. That ebony torc is an amazing find early on, but the faster you can find and invest in other AC boosting accessories, the easier the rest of the game will be - even as a spellcaster, you spend a lot of time with enemies in melee hitting you, frequently from behind. The Create Shield spell is nearly mandatory in my opinion, it's that important a QOL spell.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

THE BAR posted:

With all of these usable magic items, it seems that the plate classes aren't at such a disadvantage... Until you remember the wildly exploitable magic creation system. They probably shouldn't have known spells reduce in cost every level-up.

At high levels, it's pretty reasonable for a spellcaster to solve all of their problems by just casting spells - killing enemies via spells is doable because at high levels damaging spells are cheap enough and effective enough that you can just spam efficient spells at targets to kill them, or even just cast area spells centered on the caster rather than bothering to aim, and don't have to rely on melee weapons anymore, but there are pretty big jumps in enemy HP totals, and high level enemies can end up absorbing a lot of efficient spells before they go down

For the most part, plate classes' advantage stems from the fact that there's only so many ways you can boost your armor rating - armor provides -3/-6/-9 bonuses from leather, chain, and plate respectively. Magic plate can additionally provide up to a -5 bonus on top, and magic armor can provide stat boosts in lieu of further armor bonuses, though I find raw stats aren't really all that valuable. By comparison, there are only five non-armor ways of boosting your armor rating - the four "passive" magic item slots (bracelet, belt, torc, and amulet) can give a maximum of -5 each, for a -20 combined, and your agility also provides a boost at high stats.

Warrior-types thus have an easier time dealing with random enemies by hitting them, have more HP to survive tough encounters, and spend fewer resources (HP, potions, magic item charges) in the process. You solve most of your enemy monster problems this way. Mages, on the other hand, aren't as good at hitting enemies, get worse weapons, and take more damage in the process, but get spellpoints as an additional resource pool to use to mitigate this - spell healing is incredibly efficient, the Create Shield spell far outstrips the HP bonuses from playing any warrior class, and mages have an easier time dealing with the most dangerous enemies in the game (spellcasters) through easy access to Spell Absorption and Spell Reflection. Because of this, while I've beaten the game multiple times, I only did it with a non-magic user once, and that's because the Ranger damage bonus is really strong.