Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it really shows how close Claudia is with Terry, which I was honestly afraid she was going to say something similar to what Viren had about him needing to "get a grip" but it was nice to see that she will still do "the right thing" when someone she trusts tells her to. Well, within limits, unless something changes in the next episodes, she's definitely not going to listen to Soren anymore.

I had been wondering as the season went on if Viren would have a change of heart and if that was because he wasn't performing any magic anymore, kind of an addiction sort of story. Then at the end he takes his staff and all the life gets sucked out of his face again and, welp, back to where he was before dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrianWilly posted:

I'm a bit iffy on having three whole cutesy animal companions tagging along.

I count four: Bait (glowtoad), Zym (dragon), Soren (chad), Stella (cuddle monkey)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I count four: Bait (glowtoad), Zym (dragon), Soren (chad), Stella (cuddle monkey)

Add another half for Callum's weird bird wings

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Aces High posted:

it really shows how close Claudia is with Terry, which I was honestly afraid she was going to say something similar to what Viren had about him needing to "get a grip" but it was nice to see that she will still do "the right thing" when someone she trusts tells her to. Well, within limits, unless something changes in the next episodes, she's definitely not going to listen to Soren anymore.

I had been wondering as the season went on if Viren would have a change of heart and if that was because he wasn't performing any magic anymore, kind of an addiction sort of story. Then at the end he takes his staff and all the life gets sucked out of his face again and, welp, back to where he was before dying.

Dude's a narcissist. The addiction is calling from inside the house.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am curious at least to see where they end up by the final season (I imagine Aaravos will ultimately stab both of them in the back once he’s finally free), a lot can happen in 27 episodes after all.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’m not sure what’s going on with Claudia and Terry; they seem to have a very nice relationship but she’s a full blown sociopath and I can easily see her turning on a dime to use him as a battery for something that’s more important to her in the moment.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m not sure what’s going on with Claudia and Terry; they seem to have a very nice relationship but she’s a full blown sociopath and I can easily see her turning on a dime to use him as a battery for something that’s more important to her in the moment.

She was sympathetic enough to listen to him and give the coins back to Rayla but yeah, with Claudia becoming increasingly more unhinged and her dad now back to his old self who knows how long that’ll last

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
The Mystery of Aaravos

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Season 5 drops this summer:

https://screenrant.com/dragon-prince-season-5-release-date-summer-2023/

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Oh wow I'd totally forgotten there was even more coming

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, this is supposed to be 7 seasons in total right?

In any case, I’m hoping this season spends a little less time spinning its wheels than the last one did and we actually get some proper Callum/Rayla fluff

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 1, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Hmm, I wonder if they're making them in 2 season batches. Even so, the writer's room needs to get things sorted out because there's too much wheel spinning for how many episodes we get each "season"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aces High posted:

Hmm, I wonder if they're making them in 2 season batches. Even so, the writer's room needs to get things sorted out because there's too much wheel spinning for how many episodes we get each "season"

And only 3 seasons give or take left in the total run counting the upcoming one

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Season 5 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1sdvcgLx1o

And the release date has been announced, July 27

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another clip:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=x_wQik1mDRA

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 19, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Azhais posted:

Season 5 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1sdvcgLx1o

And the release date has been announced, July 27

Oh nice! That's really soon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is supposed to be 7 seasons total right? Hope they pick up the pace a little more this time (and based on the first clip and the fact the whole issue between them has been resolved some proper Callum/Rayla content would be nice as well)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s the proper Season 5 trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Cp11y_y9Qg4

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Episode titles for Season 5:

https://twitter.com/thedragonprince/status/1679547586829766656

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I feel like I should be excited but the last season was so weird that I'm just going "Oh yea."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Taear posted:

I feel like I should be excited but the last season was so weird that I'm just going "Oh yea."

At least from the trailer it seems like some more major things will actually happen this time (plus if I remember right counting this they’ve only got 3 seasons left now so they can’t really afford to spin their wheels anymore)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Wonder which Old Wounds we will explore in episode 2. Is Aaravos finally going to quit being coy and give some more info on how he got imprisoned? Will Rayla give some more exposition on what her life was like after Viren imprisoned her parents and she was forced to live in shame?

poo poo, maybe it will just be Callum moping about how Rayla just disappeared and left him a "dear John" letter. That last one, I can't remember if they actually explored that last season, I do remember Rayla was down to return to how things were, and Callum was just like "what? no! this isn't happening"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aces High posted:

Wonder which Old Wounds we will explore in episode 2. Is Aaravos finally going to quit being coy and give some more info on how he got imprisoned? Will Rayla give some more exposition on what her life was like after Viren imprisoned her parents and she was forced to live in shame?

poo poo, maybe it will just be Callum moping about how Rayla just disappeared and left him a "dear John" letter. That last one, I can't remember if they actually explored that last season, I do remember Rayla was down to return to how things were, and Callum was just like "what? no! this isn't happening"

I believe Rayla and Callum finally buried the hatchet regarding that at the end of Season 4

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The show has dropped 5 days early, for some reason.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Barely halfway through the first new episode, and I'm already stuck with the feeling that everyone in this season are going to be acting like idiots who can't communicate just for the sake of drama.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t watched it yet but is Season 5 at least an improvement over the previous outing?

Edit: Just started, seems ok so far though I’m not sure why Rayla can’t just tell Callum about her parents/father figure (though the fact the latter trusts her enough not to pry is good at least)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 23, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Larryb posted:

Haven’t watched it yet but is Season 5 at least an improvement over the previous outing?
Seems like they*re all a bit more open with each other. Unless you count Viren who is completely catatonic of most of the season.
Also that dragon hiding the zombie bite.
I still like Claudia's storyline the most. Even though she doesn't have that much of an agenda.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 23, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Larryb posted:

Edit: Just started, seems ok so far though I’m not sure why Rayla can’t just tell Callum about her parents/former fiancée (though the fact the latter trusts her enough not to pry is good at least)

Isn't Ruunan the husband of the guy who took her in after her parents were disappeared?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aces High posted:

Isn't Ruunan the husband of the guy who took her in after her parents were disappeared?

Ah right, I’d forgotten who he was to Rayla (I could have sworn there was a subplot early on in the series about her being engaged though but I forget if that was dealt with or not). Either way, aside from Viren spending most of it in a coma and the majority of his involvement being through dream sequences (though they do provide some character development and we finally meet his former mentor) Book 5 was a big step up from the previous season in my opinion.

Just 18 episodes left to go now (though the creators have gone on record as saying they’d like to do more with the world of the show if possible)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 24, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently there’s a third graphic novel coming out in a few weeks called Puzzle House:

https://dragonprince.fandom.com/wiki/Puzzle_House

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 24, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm still really confused about them releasing it earlier.
There's so little buzz, even by the twitter account

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Taear posted:

I'm still really confused about them releasing it earlier.
There's so little buzz, even by the twitter account

None of the actors or writers will be promoting it due to the strikes, so I'm guessing they did the early release to make up for that lack of buzz.

As for why they're not advertising the release more, who knows.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kazy posted:

None of the actors or writers will be promoting it due to the strikes, so I'm guessing they did the early release to make up for that lack of buzz.

Did the actors promote it last time?
I'm mostly thinking of the twitter account posting tonnes of fanart and stuff last time

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Kazy posted:

Viren's actor posted about it. Most of them are Canadian so maybe different union?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

could be a writers things and Netflix is trying to bury it because of residuals and poo poo

or maybe it's a Tuca and Bertie situation?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Episode 2: LOL a fuckin' Twin Peaks red room vision sequence out of nowhere

Episode 5: the gang gets the old "Welcome to Dagobah" Yoda trick

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, Was Amaya established as being mute or just having taken some vow of silence? Because she speaks briefly for the first time in S5

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

I forget, Was Amaya established as being mute or just having taken some vow of silence? Because she speaks briefly for the first time in S5

Huh. As far as I was aware she was deaf-mute but I guess the former meant we assumed the latter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Huh. As far as I was aware she was deaf-mute but I guess the former meant we assumed the latter.

I know she was never deaf at least (she’s shown hearing and responding to people multiple times during the series and people talk to her without the use of sign language)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

they have some pretty esoteric references in this show (I remember being caught quite off-guard when they did the "anyway, here's Wonderwall" back in S3)

was definitely not expecting a Deep Space Nine reference