Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

I know she was never deaf at least (she’s shown hearing and responding to people multiple times during the series and people talk to her without the use of sign language)

If she's not deaf that's walking things back because that's the hints they were dropping. Like when in the first season she tells Callum it doesn't help to yell or makes Rayla look at her when talking to her. They can talk to her because she can read lips. The wiki says she's deaf as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Don't worry, about that, she's absolutely deaf and reading lips. There was also the scene where they knocked down a bunch of books and made a ruckus and she didn't even realize. Unless they have further physical or mental restrictions most mute people are technically able to talk, they just can''t tell if the words their making are language. I don't want to imply that it's trivial, but learning to shout a simple word like "Go!" with some assistance by trial and error seems actually quite doable. And she did sound like a person who doesn't usually speak.
Honestly, I thought that was a strong way to signify how incredibly serious she was about that. I mostly felt bad because she raised so many death flags beforehand that I would have been legitimately angry if they had wasted her like that.

Honestly, she's one of the best characters of the show.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 24, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, nevermind then. On another note, how’s the second graphic novel (Bloodmoon Huntress) out of curiosity? I never even knew it existed until I heard about the upcoming third one but it’s apparently about Rayla’s past prior to the start of the series

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 24, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Anyone getting fatigued by the sun elf plot? Really hope it goes somewhere, as here it was the same basic loops that didn’t do much to move things forward.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pants Donkey posted:

Anyone getting fatigued by the sun elf plot? Really hope it goes somewhere, as here it was the same basic loops that didn’t do much to move things forward.

It's just utterly worthless.
I feel like if Dragon Prince series were as long as ATLA was then this show would be rightly considered a classic. But there's no room to breathe in the series they've been given and them doing the Sun Elf plot I think is a really good illustration of how it just doesn't quite work a lot of the time.

Does anyone else feel like the animation is kinda janky this series too? Feels like it did in series 1

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was stiff animation this time. The big thing for me was how much time was spent on people walking at a leisurely pace, especially in certain scenes all I could think was "shouldn't you be in a bit of a rush? If the clock is ticking, you're not acting like it".

Overall, I think this season was better than 4, but we are just getting more and more evidence that 9 episodes that are 24 minutes long are not enough for the things they're trying to cover. That's before we get into plotlines that are deadweight, like all this Sun Elf stuff. Actually, that's not entirely true, all the Sun Elf plot is doing is reinforcing that you cannot give fascists an inch. Her brother should be dead, full stop, and if she doesn't have the stomach for it, then Amaya should've done it. Considering that they both lost sisters, thanks to dark magic fuckery (one directly and the other as collateral damage) this shouldn't even be a question, especially now that the brother went to a blood Elf and sacrificed many of his potential subjects' lives for a failed coup.

Looking at our other groups we were following, I don't have a lot of issues with our main group, Soren continues to be great. The reveal that Callum used dark magic again doesn't really land because the snakes didn't do anything. I guess he feels weak because of it? Yeah, ok, but that doesn't mean much, unless it's a setup for Aaravos pursuing him since Viren appears to be making the choice to take himself out of the equation, and that will also destabilize Claudia. Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind some backstory on how she and Terry met and got together because he's going along with things that, I feel, go against his nature. Claudia's (and Viren's) nature is to take living organisms and devour them for magical purposes. I feel like that should be straight anathema to him and his cultural upbringing, but then, we don't know his upbringing.

Sometimes you really wonder if it's mandated by Netflix, or if Ehasz just decided 9 episodes a season was good enough for the first 3 seasons (highly debatable, seasons 2 and 3 both could've used another couple episodes each for breathing room) and so we're sticking with that template

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering the aforementioned time crunch I’ll be curious to see if they manage to pull off a decent conclusion in the 18 episodes the show has remaining now (though I guess they can fill in some gaps with comics like they seem to be doing so far)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 25, 2023

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Up to the beginning of episode 5:
I get Rayla leaving Callum in order to keep him from sacrificing his career for her. I don't get at all why Rayla never mentioned that her parents and Runaan are still alive, imprisoned in coins, let alone that she'd rather sneak into Viren's old room without telling Callum. Nearly all the jokes fell flat this time, because they keep telling the same ones, except longer with more of a reach. I enjoyed the roundabout way of inventing silly putty, but instead of stumbling over what to call "donut-hole-ios", couldn't the baker just call them donuts like they did in the first episode with tarts and move on? I liked all the scenes with Callum and Rayla talking about mornings, which I was watching in the morning, and how they were able to sleep in an inn instead of roughing it. I watch all the scenes with Viren, Claudia, and Terry. The scenes in the sun elf camp so far are all right, but they talk so slow about the same things over and over.

As soon as they mentioned a plague, I thought about all the ways that could go wrong in terms of writing, like in The Walking Dead and all of them did. You know someone's going to get bit, and you know it's going to be because of someone messing up, rather than simply being outnumbered. I don't really get why they didn't set the deadline earlier to give them more time to escape. It's a race and time is of the essence, but they literally set it at sundown like they've never heard of "buffer time", including the time it'd take to put some distance between them and Lux Aurea. It would've been simple for them to fall into the "just five more minutes" trap for the Aaravos clues themselves, but they had to have it caused by having Rayla tell Callum about the coins at literally the last moment instead. I liked that Amaya and the sun elf guard hid in the book depository, but I can't believe that Rayla and Callum just decided not to tell Ezra and the sky dragon about the contagious dark magic zombie disease and look for wounds on everyone as soon as they got away from Lux Aurea, while sky dragon could still tell them how to kill a soon-to-be-zombie sky dragon. Instead, they just leave her alone with Soren. I've seen shows do successful and suspenseful zombie episodes that I don't remember falling into these traps, most recently OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes and Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir. In the latter, for instance, they made sure the characters were too occupied to stop and make sure everyone was unscathed. It feels like a bad combination to let the shadow of patient-zero who said she'll be back at sundown hang over the rest of the episode's more relaxed antics.

Another thing is that they've completely forgotten Bait twice and had to risk life and limb to go back for him after putting distance between them and a monster chasing them twice in the four episodes alone. I'd hope they'd learn to keep better track of him or velcro him somewhere where they won't forget.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 25, 2023

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The Viren vision with the elf-bug guy doing the little man's dance from Twin Peaks in the second episode caught me so off-guard jesus christ :lmao:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I see Rayla never really got over her hatred of water (though at least now she’s a little more willing to take the plunge when needed)

Edit: Then again, after having read the second graphic novel now I kind of don’t blame her

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 25, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

Considering the aforementioned time crunch I’ll be curious to see if they manage to pull off a decent conclusion in the 18 episodes the show has remaining now (though I guess they can fill in some gaps with comics like they seem to be doing so far)

Kinda winds me up filling in gaps with comics
I'm alright with a comic maybe giving me more information about something that's not super important. Say - bait's discovery story or something. But I still feel a little bit like the show has been running while it's been off air and I've missed out on a lot of stuff that's making connecting with it hard

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Taear posted:

Kinda winds me up filling in gaps with comics
I'm alright with a comic maybe giving me more information about something that's not super important. Say - bait's discovery story or something. But I still feel a little bit like the show has been running while it's been off air and I've missed out on a lot of stuff that's making connecting with it hard

Yeah, I can understand that. Like for example, if you hadn’t read the first one the opening of Season 4 would be even more confusing. The second one is technically canon as well and is referenced a bit in Season 5 but it’s not quite as crucial overall

The comics are decent though and you can find them on Amazon (the first happens immediately between seasons 3 and 4, the second is a prequel about Rayla’s childhood, and I’m not sure where the third book coming out next week takes place but it’s apparently a side story about Claudia and Soren exploring the home of their dad’s old mentor)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 25, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I can understand that. Like for example, if you hadn’t read the first one the opening of Season 4 would be even more confusing. The second one is technically canon as well and is referenced a bit in Season 5 but it’s not quite as crucial overall

The comics are decent though and you can find them on Amazon (the first happens immediately between seasons 3 and 4, the second is a prequel about Rayla’s childhood, and I’m not sure where the third book coming out next week takes place but it’s apparently a side story about Claudia and Soren exploring the home of their dad’s old mentor)

This is probably going to sound stupid but comics are so fast for me to get through that the idea of spending a tenner on something that'll last 15 minutes is just anathema to me, I can't do it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Taear posted:

This is probably going to sound stupid but comics are so fast for me to get through that the idea of spending a tenner on something that'll last 15 minutes is just anathema to me, I can't do it

That’s fair, I’d at least recommend looking up a plot summary of the first one Through The Moon though as the show is really vague when it comes to referencing it.

There’s also a few illustrated short stories up on the official series website but I’m not sure how important they are in the grand scheme of things

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
All the dark magic spoken in this season unreversed. Obvious spoilers, the most important of which is The jelly tart you like is going to come back in style.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So by the end of this season, Viren is dead for good (supposedly) after making a face turn, Claudia’s lost a leg and will either give up her quest or (more likely) fall even further off the deep end, Karim is preparing a full scale coup, and Aaravos’ prison is now in the hands of Callum and co. Looking forward to seeing how everything inevitably goes to hell as we move closer to the end

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 26, 2023

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The last five episodes were way better than the first four. Everything with Archmage Akiyu was great. I was thinking "wait, why didn't they tell her" because I'd already forgotten that Callum interrupted Ezran because he thought only Archmage Akiyu should hear it. Scumport was great. I thought the eighth episode was the best since the show came back for season 4. Callum learns the lesson of the ocean arcanum about accepting things he can't control, and Soren keeps standing back up while trying to convince Elmer that Finnegrin can't make him be cruel. I was thinking that Callum would use dark magic again to save his friends and it was about being willing to let them die rather than make a dark choice to save them like Viren, like Luke letting go at the end of ROTJ. Maybe it was a matter of not having the dark magic reagants at hand like Claudia, because they show he learned the lesson too late when he used dark magic to escape the chains. However it works out, Finnegrin was a fierce villain.

The low points were things like all the glowtoad dialog, which was kind of like when someone shows someone else their baby photos. The sun elf plot didn't seem that bad until Miyana being a traitor made everything that happened after the Bloodmoon Huntress failed to get the sun tree seed seem pointless. I'm assuming they had Viren become catatonic after coming back from his coma so that he doesn't have time to share his regrets with Claudia before he dies and she's only left with her failure to save him, but that seems like something where I should wait and see how they handle it next season before judging.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 26, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also since Viren didn’t sacrifice it I wonder what they’re going to do with the horrible butterfly homunculus now and with the former seemingly out of the picture I’ll be curious what Aaravos’ next move is going to be (maybe he’ll go after Callum again).

We’ve seen multiple times that Claudia is kind of unhinged so even with Terry around to steady her that’s no guarantee she’s not going to just completely lose it now

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 26, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Season 6 apparently started development a few years ago and likely will be out around early next year:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/07/24/the-dragon-prince-season-6-and-7-are-already-in-development-at-netflix/

The article also mentions them potentially doing more with the universe after the story is finished and that the upcoming game will apparently be canon to the show

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

galenanorth posted:

The sun elf plot didn't seem that bad until Miyana being a traitor made everything that happened after the Bloodmoon Huntress failed to get the sun tree seed seem pointless.

I feel like we're being setup for a double-cross here from Miyana - if the conversation between her and Janai was simply 'take the sun seed and run', there would've been no need for the secrecy of their final conversation, which instead ends after 'Can I trust you?'. Miyana also makes a point of talking about loyalty before saying she loved him - it's not impossible that she was actually talking about her loyalty to Janai, or at least the kingdom, and not him.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

Season 6 apparently started development a few years ago and likely will be out around early next year:

They did tell us that they'd officially got 7 when it was shock-renewed after 3. I assume it's more expensive to buy them out of the contract than to actually make the show?

I'm still pretty unsure why Terry is with them. Sure falling in love with someone who is Very Bad for you but what's his actual story? Because as a person who hasn't read the comics every time we see him I'm kinda like ???

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Taear posted:

They did tell us that they'd officially got 7 when it was shock-renewed after 3. I assume it's more expensive to buy them out of the contract than to actually make the show?

I'm still pretty unsure why Terry is with them. Sure falling in love with someone who is Very Bad for you but what's his actual story? Because as a person who hasn't read the comics every time we see him I'm kinda like ???

The comics can’t help you on this one, he literally just popped up out of nowhere in Season 4. So yeah, assuming there’s time it would be nice to get some backstory on him eventually

The two comics released so far really just answer 3 main things:

1: Why Rayla left Callum between Seasons 3 & 4 to hunt down Viren
2: Why Rayla hates water and how she became an assassin
3: A bit more backstory on the Bloodmoon Huntress that appeared in Season 5

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 26, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

The comics can’t help you on this one, he literally just popped up out of nowhere in Season 4. So yeah, assuming there’s time it would be nice to get some backstory on him eventually

1: Why Rayla left Callum between Seasons 3 & 4 to hunt down Viren
2: Why Rayla hates water and how she became an assassin
3: A bit more backstory on the Bloodmoon Huntress that appeared in Season 5

Ah that's not bad then. I mean still important but not AS important.
I've finished this season now. Who was the pirate doing the voice of? The entire time it felt super familiar but he himself isn't played by anyone I know.

I'm tired of the french elves now. And I'm a LITTLE disappointed that the sky elves have Australian accents like the Earthkin ones do. I'd forgotten what she sounded like in the time between her last being in it and now. Although it's an actual australian this time so she's not getting it all wrong!

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Taear posted:

Who was the pirate doing the voice of? The entire time it felt super familiar but he himself isn't played by anyone I know.
The henchman was named Deadwood, that’s a hint.

(I was pretty amused when not-Jack Sparrow helped them steal not-the box from Pulp Fiction from not-Al Swerengen. Also finding out the box was also full of not-Pokémon.)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tequila25 posted:

The henchman was named Deadwood, that’s a hint.

(I was pretty amused when not-Jack Sparrow helped them steal not-the box from Pulp Fiction from not-Al Swerengen. Also finding out the box was also full of not-Pokémon.)

Ah gently caress man I hadn't even though of that! That feels right yea

I can't believe there's only 18 episodes left.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ah man, the Awful App ate a reply I was making earlier to address that. The person they hired did a very drat good impression of Ian McShane, so much so that I thought they spent the extra money to get him.

with only 18 episodes left, and maybe a comic here or there I really, REALLY, want to dig more into Terry and Claudia's relationship. Also on a separate note, is there a name for when you have a reverse of "bury your gays"? It seems that we'll get one back if Runaan gets freed from his coin

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Aces High posted:

ah man, the Awful App ate a reply I was making earlier to address that. The person they hired did a very drat good impression of Ian McShane, so much so that I thought they spent the extra money to get him.

It's mad to me how nearly nobody in this is in anything else
I know voice actors and live action don't really cross in the US/Canada but man

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aces High posted:

with only 18 episodes left, and maybe a comic here or there I really, REALLY, want to dig more into Terry and Claudia's relationship. Also on a separate note, is there a name for when you have a reverse of "bury your gays"? It seems that we'll get one back if Runaan gets freed from his coin

There’s a comic about Claudia and Soren called Puzzle House due out on Tuesday (and probably more where that came from eventually), we’re getting a game eventually that’s allegedly canon to the series, and the creators have said they’d like to possibly do more with the setting in the future (a prequel possibly). So yeah, there’s still more content on the way

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Taear posted:

It's mad to me how nearly nobody in this is in anything else
I know voice actors and live action don't really cross in the US/Canada but man

reading through the cast lists, as a Canadian, I find myself going "oh poo poo, so-and-so was voicing that character?! Daaaaamn, haven't heard them in a few years". Though, they do still have some well-known VAs popping up (did not realise Chris Metzen of all people was voicing Zym's dad), even if only for an episode or 2, like Jennifer Hale popping up as Domina Profundis. I actually kind of thought we were going to get more of her just on that basis alone

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of VAs, is Paula Burrows (Rayla) actually Scottish/Irish (I forget what her accent is supposed to be) or just good at faking it?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

Speaking of VAs, is Paula Burrows (Rayla) actually Scottish/Irish (I forget what her accent is supposed to be) or just good at faking it?

She's not
And she's not

She sounds like someone pretending to be scottish and I guess if you're not familiar with scottish people you'd not notice.
Same with Terry, his Oz accent is poo poo, what sort of australian pronounces grass the northern england way and not the southern england way?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In that case is there anyone in the cast with a genuine (noticeable) accent then?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay we're up to six cutesy animal tagalongs now.

I think this season was overall decent plotwise, but wow the animation might have been the worst among all the seasons. The amount of corners cut in the first few episodes was insane. It got especially egregious when they outright flashed back to an earlier season, and even those short momentary clips were more expressive than multiple episodes of this season combined. The latter episodes were notably better, but honestly still not by much. There had to have been some weird behind-the-scenes issues or mismanagement or crunch or something.

But uh. Overall decent. v:shobon:v

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

In that case is there anyone in the cast with a genuine (noticeable) accent then?

I mean, they all have noticable north american voices?
Claudia at times sounds very canadian, vancouver maybe. Can't see if she was born there but she sounds it.

The sky elf lady is clearly australian though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Taear posted:

I mean, they all have noticable north american voices?
Claudia at times sounds very canadian, vancouver maybe. Can't see if she was born there but she sounds it.

The sky elf lady is clearly australian though

Looking it up just now Racquel Belmonte (Claudia) is indeed from Vancouver, yes

Also while she was born and raised in Canada Paula Burrows apparently is actually of Scottish descent (both of her parents are Scottish anyway)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 29, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

Also while she was born and raised in Canada Paula Burrows apparently is actually of Scottish descent (both of her parents are Scottish anyway)

Yea she's Canadian then, she sounds like someone doing a scottish accent.
Also it's not just an accent, the way you speak is different - the only thing I've ever seen do that right was Witcher 3 honestly

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 29, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Taear posted:

Yea she's Canadian then, she sounds like someone doing a scottish accent.

She’s faking it, yeah (her normal speaking voice is Canadian though I think I heard somewhere she did have a Scottish accent of sorts when she was young and basically had to relearn it for the role)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 29, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

She’s faking it, yeah (her normal speaking voice is Canadian though I think I heard somewhere she did have a Scottish accent of sorts when she was young and basically had to relearn it for the role)

I always feel like stuff made in north america is really poo poo about accents and kinda "manner of speaking"
I was impressed early on that they'd seemed to make it so different elves had different accents and tried to work around it but it feels like they've kinda pied that idea now (tidebound elves don't seem to have a specific accent that they all share for example)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Maybe it's just me but I think the "prison" would be more safe at the bottom of the ocean, although maybe in some other part of it now..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

Maybe it's just me but I think the "prison" would be more safe at the bottom of the ocean, although maybe in some other part of it now..

Yeah, it seems like taking it home with them is just asking for trouble (where are they even going to stash it).

Also because her dad didn’t make the sacrifice Claudia now has a weird homunculus brother