Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Also, I was surprised in the penultimate episode when Callum replaced Viren in the opening. I don't know if this had any meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Small White Dragon posted:

Maybe it's just me but I think the "prison" would be more safe at the bottom of the ocean, although maybe in some other part of it now..

Yea that bit was strange, although I guess we don't know what you actually have to do to release Aaravos. Presumably it can't be that hard or why go to all the trouble of hiding it from EVERYONE?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, I was surprised in the penultimate episode when Callum replaced Viren in the opening. I don't know if this had any meaning.

I didn’t even notice that, I assume it’s foreshadowing something (Aaravos has to eventually get released somehow after all)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

enjoyed the season a lot, claudia getting some comeuppance for her poo poo was good but also i felt weirdly, incredibly sad about viren because his turn was pretty earned i thought

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

enjoyed the season a lot, claudia getting some comeuppance for her poo poo was good but also i felt weirdly, incredibly sad about viren because his turn was pretty earned i thought

Yeah, I was actually pleasantly surprised with how well they handled Viren’s face turn considering how much of a douche he was in the first 3 seasons. Sort of a pity he’s likely dead for good now

Wonder if there’s hope for Claudia too or if she’ll just go even further off the deep end after losing her father twice (though she does have Terry to keep her in check now)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i wouldn't be surprised if she went completely off the deep end only to be pulled back by the power of Love and Friendship in the end

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It was interesting that they laid more on about the king being the bird
At this point I don't think it's happening, but it's still there as a possibility!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Larryb posted:

I didn’t even notice that, I assume it’s foreshadowing something (Aaravos has to eventually get released somehow after all)

They went to a lot of trouble to research Chekhov's elf-killing sword after all

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They went to a lot of trouble to research Chekhov's elf-killing sword after all

Yeah, they wouldn’t introduce a plot point like that if they weren’t going to use it at some point (I’m curious how Aaravos is inevitably going to escape his prison at this point, though (supposedly) taking said prison back to Katolis doesn’t strike me as a particularly smart idea and will probably have something to do with it)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So how do Lord of the Rings fans feel now that we've finally gotten a Tom Bombadil-like character in the series :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The third graphic novel Puzzle House is out now, it's basically about (a much more sane) Claudia and Soren as kids exploring the house of their dad's old mentor. Nothing really spoilery about it that I could see (though the end might have some baring on Claudia's character arc going forward) but a decent read nonetheless

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I think I heard a preview of the next season was going to be given at NYCC. Anybody catch it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think I heard a preview of the next season was going to be given at NYCC. Anybody catch it?

Apparently the entire first episode was shown off at the con, there’s a couple overview videos on YouTube if you want to search. Also the penultimate season will be called “Stars”

In other news, there’s yet another graphic novel on the way:

https://twitter.com/thedragonprince/status/1713309957154607290

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I wish they'd either known they were getting more series in series 3 or that they'd just stopped there I think.
Coming to the idea that I don't really enjoy these new ones, or at least they just don't feel the same

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Taear posted:

I wish they'd either known they were getting more series in series 3 or that they'd just stopped there I think.
Coming to the idea that I don't really enjoy these new ones, or at least they just don't feel the same

Pretty sure the show was always planned to be 7 seasons from the beginning (I forget what the long delay between 3 and 4 was about though, I assume it was covid related). At the very least 5 was better than 4 overall

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Pretty sure the show was always planned to be 7 seasons from the beginning (I forget what the long delay between 3 and 4 was about though, I assume it was covid related). At the very least 5 was better than 4 overall

Yeah, they had seven seasons planned but they were never sure they were all going to be on Netflix and had graphic novel/video game/etc fallbacks as I recall.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, they had seven seasons planned but they were never sure they were all going to be on Netflix and had graphic novel/video game/etc fallbacks as I recall.

Apparently the upcoming game will be canon to the series somehow and if I recall correctly they said some footage was shown off at yesterday’s NYCC panel

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Season 4 is so poo poo lmfao. The terrible wedding plot, the way characters just completely forget Soren's missing, the awful filler with the gate guards, a bunch of other things. Season 5 bounces back a lot, yeah, but that season is baaaaad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Season 4 is so poo poo lmfao. The terrible wedding plot, the way characters just completely forget Soren's missing, the awful filler with the gate guards, a bunch of other things. Season 5 bounces back a lot, yeah, but that season is baaaaad.

Oh Season 4 is without a doubt the worst, yeah (the only saving grace is that it kind of kickstarted Viren’s redemption arc which 5 then expanded on)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

They thought they might be done after 3 though which is why it's a weird rush to kinda get it closed off.
It's all rushed, all of it. And it's not bad because of that, but it definitely feels weird a lot of the time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Taear posted:

They thought they might be done after 3 though which is why it's a weird rush to kinda get it closed off.
It's all rushed, all of it. And it's not bad because of that, but it definitely feels weird a lot of the time

3 still ended on that scene with Viren and Claudia but yeah, without that the series probably could have stopped there had they needed to

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Larryb posted:

Apparently the entire first episode was shown off at the con, there’s a couple overview videos on YouTube if you want to search. Also the penultimate season will be called “Stars”

I was there! They played the whole first episode of the next season. It was mostly set up for the next arc. I would say it was fine - nothing ground breaking. The voice actors for Claudia and Terry were there and they did a cute skit too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gninjagnome posted:

I was there! They played the whole first episode of the next season. It was mostly set up for the next arc. I would say it was fine - nothing ground breaking. The voice actors for Claudia and Terry were there and they did a cute skit too.

Did it confirm that Viren was indeed 100% dead at least?

Also, we still don't have a trailer or a release date for Season 6 yet do we?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Larryb posted:

Did it confirm that Viren was indeed 100% dead at least?

Also, we still don't have a trailer or a release date for Season 6 yet do we?

Spoilering just in case -

No one asked explicitly at the panel, but all signs point to yes. He wasn't in the episode and Claudia says he's gone. Unless there are some later magic shenanigans, I'm assuming he's dead for now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, we’ve got our first trailer for the game:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gsqi4sPBLwY

It’s a mobile title though so I’m not sure if this is the same one they were talking about a while ago or not

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 9, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s the Season 6 trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pxoqMIMX4e8

Looks like Claudia has gone byebye just like I assumed she would

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 10, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

it's interesting to look at the amount of IMDB ratings between series 1 (about 900 per episode) and 5 (about 100)
Every series drops off hugely as it goes on

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Taear posted:

it's interesting to look at the amount of IMDB ratings between series 1 (about 900 per episode) and 5 (about 100)
Every series drops off hugely as it goes on

In theory that's why Netflix doesn't renew past a certain season very much.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It doesn't help when it's a show that took a 2-3 year hiatus. Same with viewing statistics, Legend of Korra got that baaaad for season 3, and then season 4 was effectively doa

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is still getting 7 seasons as advertised right? Some of the dialogue in the trailer sounded kind of final to me

But yeah, if it weren’t for that long hiatus between seasons 3 and 4 we’d probably be done with the series by now

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 11, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

This is still getting 7 seasons as advertised right? Some of the dialogue in the trailer sounded kind of final to me

I don't think they can go back on it after agreeing it without paying out loads.
If you've already paid for it, it's in the past and not on the books now, so gently caress it right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True enough. Also if anyone happened to see the sneak preview of the first S6 episode at the con a little while back was the scene between Claudia and Terry from the trailer included in it (and if so, do we see exactly what she does to him afterwards)?

That said, Season 5 was a step up over its predecessor at least and I am curious how Aaravos is going to get inevitably freed at this point (also as I predicted Claudia seems to have gone even further off the deep end after losing her father despite the lengths she went to to save him)

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Larryb posted:

True enough. Also if anyone happened to see the sneak preview of the first S6 episode at the con a little while back was the scene between Claudia and Terry from the trailer included in it (and if so, do we see exactly what she does to him afterwards)?

Yeah, it's in the first episode, and you see what happens next.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Details on Season 6 will be revealed next month:

https://sdccblog.com/2024/02/the-dragon-prince-heads-to-wondercon-anaheim-2024/

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's really weird to me that the link doesn't actually say WHEN next month (this month) it's gonna be.
Apparently it's 29-31 so a little while off yet

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still no release date but we did get some details on the penultimate season at a recent panel:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDragonP...hare&utm_term=1

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

Still no release date but we did get some details on the penultimate season at a recent panel:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDragonP...hare&utm_term=1

That's so unbelievably general! Feel like I come away with it having more questions than I started with.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Taear posted:

That's so unbelievably general! Feel like I come away with it having more questions than I started with.

Yeah, it sucks. At the moment all we know for sure is that it’ll likely be sometime this year and there’s another graphic novel coming out in October

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Larryb posted:

Yeah, it sucks. At the moment all we know for sure is that it’ll likely be sometime this year and there’s another graphic novel coming out in October

I mean more like "we asked about why it got renewed"
Okay cool and what did they say??