Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hangedman1984 posted:

Technically speculative, but spoilered anyway: we've all figured out that the mage guy shoved the king's soul in the bird right?

Ha ha yep. :haw:

Desperado Bones posted:

My idea is that the mage tried to forcefully change bodies with the king, the birdie got in the way, the interchange happens, birdie gets killed my elf and the mage hides the body and instead burns some dead soldier. I'm pretty sure one of the ideas is for the princes to discover what happened to their dad, and have some adventure trying to recover his body.

I'll place an outside bet on the king and the bird swapped bodies and the bird freaked out tried to fly away but instead plummeted off the castle wall into the river and couldn't be recovered and was presumed dead. The mage burned the body of some dead soldier but LITTLE DOES EVERYONE KNOW that the bird survived and is running around in the forest pecking at seeds and digging up worms in the king's body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
They held the funeral next day too; with no period of open casket mourning... And burned the body. I can't believe I missed all these hints.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ha ha yep. :haw:

I'll place an outside bet on the king and the bird swapped bodies and the bird freaked out tried to fly away but instead plummeted off the castle wall into the river and couldn't be recovered and was presumed dead. The mage burned the body of some dead soldier but LITTLE DOES EVERYONE KNOW that the bird survived and is running around in the forest pecking at seeds and digging up worms in the king's body.

but then how does this explain the assassin's binding for the King breaking?

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 24, 2018

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

nvmd, misread a post

hangedman1984 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 24, 2018

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Verisimilidude posted:

A wizard did it!

Literally.

something tells me it was actually the mage doing some dark magic thingy. Either way, there's a chance it's what we are thinking and there's the chance the king is actually very dead.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

A wizard did it!

Literally.

something tells me it was actually the mage doing some dark magic thingy. Either way, there's a chance it's what we are thinking and there's the chance the king is actually very dead.

Or the king's BODY is dead and that was enough for the binding

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

hangedman1984 posted:

Or the king's BODY is dead and that was enough for the binding

Someone might have to go full necromancer and raise a zombie king now....

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Soul transfer the king's soul to the king's dead body and you got yourself a fully functional zombie king at the cost of an empty bird body.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Verisimilidude posted:

poo poo I forgot about that

Dammit i wanted my thing to come true :mad:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's not at all explicit whether the binding breaks on bodily death or spiritual death, so there's still totally a possibility that the king's spirit is still kicking around in his bird. Moreover, just in terms of basic storytelling rules, Viren is never seen with the serpent again (and dark magic explicitly requires you to take the life of the thing whose magical essence you're exploiting), we see nothing of the king after that one scene, and the bird is locked away and chained. The first and last points are probably the most critical ones: why would Viren give a poo poo about some dumb bird flying away unless he had some specific use for it? It could be a red herring, but I doubt it.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 24, 2018

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Alright! I finished. The whole series does get better once it goes on, and I did get use to the choppy animation.

Aaand, I shouldn't had skipped the credits, I discovered they give hints of the characters' own stories. And I finally understood that thing in twitter were it seems it was confirmed that one of the characters might be gay. And I got the idea of what the mirror was, and my heart broke a bit because that was sad.

Story gets a 9, everyone was a sokka but in a good way.

Animations goes with a 7.5. Sometimes VERY choppy, caught a few cringy moments but they would be dismissed once they showed those nice done parts.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
What are this thread's theories regarding the mirror?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chekhov's gun and all they spent A LOT of time emphasizing the snake. It would be weird if nothing came from it. Especially with animation where its expensive/time consuming, you don't make more scenes than what you need. I appreciated that they even had a use for shooting off the hair braid in that one fight scene for plot development.

We bought the Avatar Blu-Ray when it came out earlier this year and watched it with our 5 year old who loved it. Its nice to have something else to watch with him that everyone can be entertained by.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Meallan posted:

What are this thread's theories regarding the mirror?

It's sort of revealed by bits in the credits of the last two episodes, because I skipped the rest and I'm an idiot. The mirror seems to be a magical window. It seemed it connected to a fountain or pond or something. You can see in the credits after Runaan is imprisoned in the coin an elf looking at a pond crying. On the last episode credits you can see a hand coming from inside the mirror, pressed against it.

That's were the theories that Runann might have a male partner come from. So I guess the mirror was originally a way to communicate with the late dragon king and now they were using it to spy on the mage after it was stolen.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I didn’t notice the bird thing at all, nice catch. I assume Viren is keeping the kings soul in the bird because he doesn’t want to kill his old friend but does want power over him, to prove that his way of ruling the humans is better.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ccs posted:

I didn’t notice the bird thing at all, nice catch. I assume Viren is keeping the kings soul in the bird because he doesn’t want to kill his old friend but does want power over him, to prove that his way of ruling the humans is better.

That's a pretty good bet. Think about Viren's personality as revealed through the rest of the story: he's not a cackling evil mage who loves murder like Ozai, but he is convinced that he's right and that everyone else is too nearsighted or cowardly to see it. To that end, he's willing to force his way if he can't otherwise convince people to go along with his line of thinking. Him overpowering his stubborn friend "for his own good" and sticking his soul in a bird for later extraction is completely in-line with his characterization, and it'd frankly be weirder if he just outright left the man to die.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ccs posted:

It definitely felt like he was in the bird, although the idea of him getting it all set up while the king is attacking him seems a bit weird. Especially getting a soldier in there or something, I dunno.

I really enjoyed the whole show although it did get a bit rushed at the end. The only thing I didn't like was Ezran suddenly saying he could speak to animals but also not telling us why he knew for a fact there wasn't a special healer. I mean if he'd said the leg was an illusion and not been believed but then we found out it really was everyone would believe he could speak to them.
I think I'd have liked a few more obvious hints dropped into the story. Other than him speaking to the horse.

I'm really glad that Netflix are making so much fantasy and Sci-fi, it feels like nobody else does.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Taear posted:

I'm really glad that Netflix are making so much fantasy and Sci-fi, it feels like nobody else does.

Uh. I have to agree with that. I'm still waiting to see how's it gonna be with the Witcher series. I think Henry Cavill already signed, so this is gonna be interesting. Also, we are gonna get Orc Cop 2: Orching Harder!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Make me a First Law series, Netflix. Make it animated, for all I care. Actually it might be better in animation, if given to some really great Japanese studio.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

If you like Dragon Prince you might enjoy Hilda that's also on Netflix, at least in the UK.
It has a feel of Moomin about it more than anything but it's a fantasy animation with a continuing story.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I'll second the Hilda recommendation.

It is not as epic, but it has its own enjoyable world with interesting critters and people.

The art and animation (much more traditional 2d) is wonderful. I love the little details, like this Dragon Panic game:

And while it doesn't have a huge over-arching story, it does have continuity episode-to-episode.

Good Sandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I absolutely love this show. I'm sad it's over for now, but it inspired me to make some youtube garbage about it. I already got more lined up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhL7F9vJsIg

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Much like Avatar, I stumbled upon this show and was instantly intrigued and watched it all and thought it was great. Avatar is one of my favorite shows in the world (I had an Avatar avatar for like 4 years) and this is basically a fantasy Avatar so yeah, I'm down. Looking forward to more episodes in 6 months or whenever the next batch drops.

I noticed some animation stuttering in the beginning but after the third episode I thought it looks very good and the coloring is amazing.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oh, oh. Guys. I have news.

https://twitter.com/thedragonprince/status/1048272209242939392?s=19

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
So I guess Callum gets another orb?

I actually really liked how it was handled in the first season. He lucks into an artifact that gives him access to power way outside the curve of his current level of magical training (ie, none) which is enough to confirm that he has potential. Losing the artifact means he has to train up from scratch to reach that potential the "real" way.

Kind of like, say, the first chapter of Assassin's Creed where you start with all your powers and abilities in the tutorial but then get demoted and have to re-earn them one by one.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

wizzardstaff posted:

So I guess Callum gets another orb?

I actually really liked how it was handled in the first season. He lucks into an artifact that gives him access to power way outside the curve of his current level of magical training (ie, none) which is enough to confirm that he has potential. Losing the artifact means he has to train up from scratch to reach that potential the "real" way.

Kind of like, say, the first chapter of Assassin's Creed where you start with all your powers and abilities in the tutorial but then get demoted and have to re-earn them one by one.

Well that might go against the show's own lore since they establish that the only way to cast magic is by having an elemental source nearby you can tap into.

I'm assuming that cube he has will have some effect later. It has all the symbols of magic on it, so maybe he'll be able to use it like a wizard's focus or a wand or something.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm really glad there's a new series, Aaron's twitter made it sound very much like it wasn't a done deal. I hope there's more episodes though, it definitely didn't feel like enough.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Verisimilidude posted:

Well that might go against the show's own lore since they establish that the only way to cast magic is by having an elemental source nearby you can tap into.
Yeah but it's also established that primal sources like the one Callum was carrying are extremely rare. He can still learn to use magic without an Orb of True Magical Destiny, I'm just saying that having and losing said Orb was a good shortcut for him to realize his magical potential and get a few spells in before being knocked back down to apprentice status.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's also an important part of his first season character development: he's the guy who thinks he's useless at everything until he finds an ancient artifact that effectively lets him cheat at magic, which gives him a major ego boost, but he's grown enough by the end of the series to discard it for the greater good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

wizzardstaff posted:

Yeah but it's also established that primal sources like the one Callum was carrying are extremely rare. He can still learn to use magic without an Orb of True Magical Destiny, I'm just saying that having and losing said Orb was a good shortcut for him to realize his magical potential and get a few spells in before being knocked back down to apprentice status.

Can he? It felt like the magic was Runebound style, no rune, no spells.
Although yea they did say it was rare so that doesn't quite fit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Taear posted:

Can he?

The law of conservation of storytelling: he didn't get an artifact cube that helpfully indicates sources of primal magic (which was also barely used in the first season) and meet a flesh-and-blood mage at the end of the series for nothing. You can see Claudia and Viren using magic without one of the orbs all the time; their power source just happens to be a lot more convenient to carry around than a gigantic thunderstorm or a raging inferno.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Taear posted:

Can he? It felt like the magic was Runebound style, no rune, no spells.
Although yea they did say it was rare so that doesn't quite fit.

I think So? I got the impression that having a power source meant that you could carry that specific source with you. Another mage would need an actual storm or something of a sort. Basically the magic system wouldn't be too removed from being able to manipulate the elements: be it the sky, or lives.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It seems like you can only cast dark magic without the stone. That's all we've seen done, anyway!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The assassins did their magic binding without a stone.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wizzardstaff posted:

The assassins did their magic binding without a stone.

Yeah magicians' spellcasting abilities depend on having access to elemental power therefore Moon elves can cast moon-based spells during moonlight, etc.. The magical orb was just storing a ton of elemental storm power, it was pretty much a magical battery.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
They say at some point that it makes the magic a lot more powerful, so without it he'd be throwing around mild gusts of wind and static electricity unless he was in the middle of a storm. I guess mages can all do something with the ambient magic around them, just not much without a focus.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
you know I've got a REALLY high tolerance for nerd poo poo, I've not only played dnd I've actually gotten bored of dnd and wanted to play other table tops. With that in mind this show still makes me groan and roll my eyes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

you know I've got a REALLY high tolerance for nerd poo poo, I've not only played dnd I've actually gotten bored of dnd and wanted to play other table tops. With that in mind this show still makes me groan and roll my eyes.

Why's that? It's all fairly bog standard high fantasy stuff with a bunch of different magical elements, forbidden magic that uses the life force of living things to fuel its spells, and sixteen different varieties of elves.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Motherfucker posted:

You’ve thought about playing games other than D&D? Wow, that is some pretty serious nerd cred you’re repping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

Why's that? It's all fairly bog standard high fantasy stuff with a bunch of different magical elements, forbidden magic that uses the life force of living things to fuel its spells, and sixteen different varieties of elves.

Speaking of the elves in the series. What's with the horns? Are we gonna get the revelation that they are all related to the dragons, somehow? I'm curious about their lore. I know I won't be that surprised but I wanna see what they have in store.