Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
edit: nevermind I'm dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

the mean lunch lady posted:

Rams trading Goff and drafting a new QB is my theory on what they do for 2020.

Someone on Twitter was saying that the great QB on a rookie contract setup is so powerful of an advantage that some forward thinking NFL team with a sharp offensive coaching staff (Rams) would just keep trying to draft and develop rookie QBs rather than ever have a QB on a regular contract. The problem is having the draft capital to do that every 3-5 years

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

pubic works project posted:

Well the Browns said that about Josh Gordon and look where he ended up

Whatever happened to bleach drinker 1000?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chilichimp posted:

No way Bell is traded in conference, or to any team playing the Steelers this year.

The Steelers probably aren't worried about the Jets. I mean they should worry about their poorly coached team that always underachieves more than any individual opponent anyway.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Someone on Twitter was saying that the great QB on a rookie contract setup is so powerful of an advantage that some forward thinking NFL team with a sharp offensive coaching staff (Rams) would just keep trying to draft and develop rookie QBs rather than ever have a QB on a regular contract. The problem is having the draft capital to do that every 3-5 years

Alternatively they can just circumvent the salary cap and pay the developed QB through their side hustle avocado iced cream sponsorships.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Also having competent coaching considering the NFL lives on nepotism and failing up.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
The Steelers probably won't let Bell go for less than a 3rd since they already rooked the Raiders out of a 3rd for Bryant. They might be poorly coached but they have the 2nd best GM in the league

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Packers should snag Bell. They won't of course, but Rodgers can't drag them by himself, especially with a gimpy leg and that poo poo rear end defense.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Don't really think teh run game is the Packer's problem. They actually ran the ball well last week and have 3 pretty good RBs. Terrible defense and a offense that isn't putting the folks into the best position to succeed is more problematic.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

adaz posted:

Don't really think teh run game is the Packer's problem. They actually ran the ball well last week and have 3 pretty good RBs. Terrible defense and a offense that isn't putting the folks into the best position to succeed is more problematic.

No, I'm just daydreaming about a silver bullet that'll solve all their problems. Jones actually looked great, but fat Mike didn't use him enough.

Montgomery isn't very good though at being a pure back. They need to get creative with him.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Bell's game is so much more than the run game though. He's the best blitz pick-up guy I have ever seen. He's never given up a sack in the NFL, and by the way, he catches 80 passes/season

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

A team that racks up a shitload of yards between the 20s and consistently fucks up in the redzone by either setting for FGs instead of TDs or, like Ross said, picks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leon Einstein posted:

Packers should snag Bell. They won't of course, but Rodgers can't drag them by himself, especially with a gimpy leg and that poo poo rear end defense.

Packers have too much money tied up in a small number of players already

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Bell's game is so much more than the run game though. He's the best blitz pick-up guy I have ever seen. He's never given up a sack in the NFL, and by the way, he catches 80 passes/season

LdT and Sproles were the two best backs i've ever seen against the blitz. Sproles used to absolutely clobber LBs, which is hilarious given how short he is. That said, Bell's almost as good at it, which isn't a small feat.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Durandal1707 posted:

A team that racks up a shitload of yards between the 20s and consistently fucks up in the redzone by either setting for FGs instead of TDs or, like Ross said, picks.

Which reminds me, the red zone success fo the 3-0 dolphins (12/12) is probably not sustainable as well and is the sort of other extreme outlier to this. No ints, no picks, no penalties in the red zone

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The Steelers probably won't let Bell go for less than a 3rd since they already rooked the Raiders out of a 3rd for Bryant. They might be poorly coached but they have the 2nd best GM in the league

I can't imagine them trading him for a 3rd. I mean maybe, but I'd think a 2nd would be more or less the floor so they are ensured better compensation than the comp pick. I think 6 games plus playoffs is worth hanging on to him for a more or less lateral pick to the comp pick.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

SHOAH NUFF posted:

If they can sucker some bad team into trading for Goff in a year or two, there's the draft capital they'd need. Goff went from terrible poo poo to good when McVay showed up. There's no reason they'd think they couldn't do that again. There's nothing to Goff that makes him stand out as some irreplaceable guy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Earl Thomas loving owns you guys:

https://twitter.com/HIGHNOONonESPN/status/1044325044569165825

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Substandard posted:

I can't imagine them trading him for a 3rd. I mean maybe, but I'd think a 2nd would be more or less the floor so they are ensured better compensation than the comp pick. I think 6 games plus playoffs is worth hanging on to him for a more or less lateral pick to the comp pick.

I seriously doubt he's going anywhere due to the whole rental player part of the equation, but you just never know

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

adaz posted:

Which reminds me, the red zone success fo the 3-0 dolphins (12/12) is probably not sustainable as well and is the sort of other extreme outlier to this. No ints, no picks, no penalties in the red zone

There's no probably about it, that's the definition of unsustainable.

the mean lunch lady posted:

If they can sucker some bad team into trading for Goff in a year or two, there's the draft capital they'd need. Goff went from terrible poo poo to good when McVay showed up. There's no reason they'd think they couldn't do that again. There's nothing to Goff that makes him stand out as some irreplaceable guy.

Yeah I was talking earlier about how the Rams will have unique leverage in any contract negotiations because they don't demand that much from the QB position. The coaching and skill talent makes it so much easier, reduces pressure and allows for clean, easy reads. All the QB has to do is set the feet and make accurate throws to different levels of the field. A lot of guys could do that and that philosophy could lead to them getting a new QB (not that easy to do via the draft, you still need a top pick) or Goff taking an affordable contract.

Who knows though, the Rams could be trash by then and all of this won't mean anything

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I say Bell to the Buccs, lets do this Fitzpatrick.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

LOCKER ROOM CANCER

Play posted:

There's no probably about it, that's the definition of unsustainable.

True enough, but even some regression to the mean is a massive improvement for the Dolphins over previous years.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
LdT was the best run blocker.

The reason Adam Gase was ok getting right of Ajayi was because of Drakes pass blocking ability and he’s very TE like in it.

God i love him as a RB so much

Play
Apr 25, 2006

adaz posted:

True enough, but even some regression to the mean is a massive improvement for the Dolphins over previous years.

Oh totally, they've been amazing in the red zone so far and teams that convert touchdowns in the red zone are the teams that tend to win. Just pointing out that it's impossible to maintain a 100% touchdown conversion rate for long and that it might be something to watch if the Dolphins go on to drop a couple games.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sports columnists in Seattle are already calling him a malcontent:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/has-earl-thomas-considered-that-maybe-he-is-the-one-showing-disrespect/

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Play posted:

All the QB has to do is set the feet and make accurate throws to different levels of the field. A lot of guys could do that
There’s are teams in the NFL that have literally gone decades without finding such a QB.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Diva Cupcake posted:

There’s are teams in the NFL that have literally gone decades without finding such a QB.

And certain franchises never have found one.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Amy Pole Her posted:

LdT was the best run blocker.

Memories..... :smith:

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I think if you are going to claim that you can use any semi-competent guy in the McVay system, you would be much better off using veterans than guys on the rookie contract. It seems like the pick investment to get a first round QB every 4ish years along with the bust potential makes signing dudes like Fitz, or Chase Daniel or Josh McCown a much cheaper option with a lower floor.

I don't think you can win playoff games consistently without a good QB though, regardless of system.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

I forgot to mention that this is under no pressure at all, so you just need to be able to set and make the throw. There are a decent number of quarterbacks that could fill Goff's shoes but you're right they don't exactly grow on trees. My main point is that McVay's system makes it easy on quarterbacks so Goff isn't as irreplaceable as someone like Aaron Rodgers, which makes their negotiations with Goff a bit different than some other teams in the league.

This is all pointless speculation in any case

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

a neat cape posted:

Joe Flacco glances around nervously

Barring injury I don't he he needs to worry

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Watch Max Hall or Ryan Lindley get signed to 1 year deals by the Niners.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JeffMillerLAT/status/1044334035034468352?s=19

Calling out the punter directly

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is Mitch a top 10 scrambler/runner? Rodgers, Wilson, Mariota, cam, Watson, who else?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

mastershakeman posted:

Is Mitch a top 10 scrambler/runner? Rodgers, Wilson, Mariota, cam, Watson, who else?

Luck is/was fantastic at running. Still TBD after his return if he will go back to murdering himself for extra yards.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Alex Smith

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Bortles can book it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Can't believe I forgot him. Luck may never rush much again. How are the rookies at it? Or mahomes?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Mahomes is alright but he slides like a doofus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Taylor, Bortles, Allen, Prescott, and Tannehill all have more rushing yards so far this season.

• Locked thread