Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Kostya Kimlat's Fool Us routine is one of the most impressive pieces of card magic I've seen, given that there are no deck switches, gimmicks or cheats - everything is as you see it. If you know anything about card handling you can spot one of his moves but that's about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCFXV6o7cro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Remulak posted:

Motherfucker. Sure looks like a laser but it can’t be without eyepro for him and the audience, the FDA does not gently caress around. Amazing.

What year was this? The main unit looks like a small tube laser with external power (possibly a fibre-fed beam from an off-stage tube but the device looks too big for just that). No idea what he's using for the hand-held "Darth Maul" stuff. But if it was done in the late 80s or early 90s things were pretty cavalier, especially in a small private venue.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Remulak posted:

Were you doing lasers in the US in the 80s-90s? I sure the gently caress wasn’t so dunno, I assumed it was like it is now (never touched a laser for work until 2013, then I took an LSO course which was interesting). In retrospect, the tube being at the wrong scale was something else that made me think ‘not a laser’.

In Australia. We had a water-cooled 7W argon tube laser that was used for raves, product launches, nightclubs etc, and while we avoided sending a pure beam into anyone we certainly didn't have any protective equipment.

The device in the video really looked like a laser to me, as opposed to heavily collimated light (which I've not actually seen, tbh). I've definitely seen tube lasers in that form-factor.

NmareBfly posted:

I've seen a version of this where an audience member doesn't screw up one of the big jokes but it's still good as hell, I love the style here:

Lennart Green is amazing. He comes across as a drunk uncle but is self-taught so has a very different style to anyone else.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Alpenglow posted:

The Laserman did shows at Disneyland for a while, so it must've been pretty thoroughly vetted as eye safe under any mishap. It was that routine or extremely similar and with a very synergistic TRON aesthetic.

The issue is usually if you have a raw beam projecting into the crowd. You try to avoid any laser hitting people full stop, but if it does sweep them then it needs to be a rapidly-moving beam like a fan effect or else diffused off a suitable reflector (something like a diffusion gel covered mirror ball, for example).

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I would love to see Copperfield's flying rig in real life. The patent is interesting, but I really want to see the engineering up close because it's super smooth in operation.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Vincent posted:

I don't know why it didn't ocurr to me that magicians patent their illusions (I don't know if that's the name for their "machines"/rigs) so that their acts don't get stolen, but since patents are public records, how do they write them in a way that prevents people from figuring out how they do their tricks?

It even has a wikipedia page!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Copperfield%27s_flying_illusion

At the end of the day, it often doesn't matter if you know how it's done. I know how tons of tricks are done but I get most of my enjoyment from seeing them done smoothly, or picking up where things are handed off or swapped out. I guess I enjoy the technical achievement as much as I do being amazed by something that seems to be a mystery.

I mean, no-one thinks DC can actually fly so I assume everyone believes he is connected to wires in some way. The enjoyment is the showmanship and flawless execution (along with some of the convincers he uses to make you think that maybe it couldn't be wires).

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I'd be very surprised if the audience member was a legit stranger. As you say, it would be too risky.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Or if you're Kostya Kimlat and doing his amazing card cull, you get P&T both up on stage so they are close to the action and are actually blind to one of your moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCFXV6o7cro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Another reason to believe that Fool Us is on the level is that there are really no winners or losers. Anyone featured on it have already won by getting their 15 minutes of fame on a big TV show. Actually being a part of the P&T stage show is immaterial.