Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Perestroika posted:

Okay, so most of this I can kind of follow, lots of (extremely well-practiced) sleight of hand, and I figure the vest is some sort of special prop. But I absolutely cannot get over how he first appeared and later vanished the squares in plain sight with his hands nowhere near them. :psyduck:

YouTube video is missing a frame or two right there, probably to prevent assholes like be from going frame-by-frame to figure it out. Sure it still looks great in person.

Motherfucker. Sure looks like a laser but it can’t be without eyepro for him and the audience, the FDA does not gently caress around. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Gromit posted:

What year was this? The main unit looks like a small tube laser with external power (possibly a fibre-fed beam from an off-stage tube but the device looks too big for just that). No idea what he's using for the hand-held "Darth Maul" stuff. But if it was done in the late 80s or early 90s things were pretty cavalier, especially in a small private venue.
Were you doing lasers in the US in the 80s-90s? I sure the gently caress wasn’t so dunno, I assumed it was like it is now (never touched a laser for work until 2013, then I took an LSO course which was interesting). In retrospect, the tube being at the wrong scale was something else that made me think ‘not a laser’.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Gromit posted:

Or if you're Kostya Kimlat and doing his amazing card cull, you get P&T both up on stage so they are close to the action and are actually blind to one of your moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCFXV6o7cro

I made the mistake of watching his insufferable intro, so after your comment I was primed to see this as an attention/gorilla gag, but holy hell. I love how how Teller was so shocked that he grabbed the cards from the table!

Side note, goddamn P&T are classy, the shows format was made for YouTube, but it’s only the contestants posting. Almost makes me forget their lovely 2000’s libertarian poo poo.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Talking to magic consultants seems really unfair somehow.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Iirc they are his decks and he has tiny nicks on the side of each card