Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

speaking of which it was incredible that the ps2 played dvds and costed around as much as dvd players at the time and had indisputably the best game library (and amazing launch titles) of the gen. it was really the king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I was 17 I had a summer job shredding old documents at my dad's office and I used my first paycheck to buy a PS2, GTA3 and Gran Turismo 3. Then a couple years later the guy I was directly working for got busted for embezzling a ton of money so I probably helped conceal evidence lol.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I played Dark Cloud and Dynasty Warriors 2 for a million hours during the first PS2 summer. That's some of my fondest gaming memories. Then a few years later DC2 came out and a month later was Windwaker. What a time to be alive. I would feel bad for Fortnite/Minecraft kids if they weren't so loving dumb.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

When I was 17 I had a summer job shredding old documents at my dad's office and I used my first paycheck to buy a PS2, GTA3 and Gran Turismo 3. Then a couple years later the guy I was directly working for got busted for embezzling a ton of money so I probably helped conceal evidence lol.

Lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I was like 10 when I got a PS2 so it was games like Jak and Rachet and Clank and I played that thing until I got into college and it was Persona and God Hand and MGS. Never got a PS3 or 360. Good fuckin gaming.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Oh yea and I played the PS1 Final Fantasy games on it, backwards compatibility rules.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*Thinking back to spending eight hours a day feeding huge reams of paper into an industrial shredder in the windowless basement of a NYC office building while listening to a t.A.T.u. CD that another employee's kid brought in and almost never talking* Man, those were the days

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

SSX was so good too. The best era of games even made EA good

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

For some reason of all the phenomenal ps2 games ssx3 stands out as one of my all time favorites

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

SSX was so good too. The best era of games even made EA good

insane that even ea was churning out gold during that gen. they made the 007 games of the era and they kicked rear end

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Speaking of EA games, Burnout 3 kicked rear end

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Speaking of EA games, Burnout 3 kicked rear end

It's in my PS2 right now and I've played it within the past month lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The PS2 also had incredible backwards compatibility right out of the box. You could just plug in your PS1 controller and memory card and continue right where you were on the PS1. I still use my PS2 to play Final Fantasy 9 pretty regularly.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
The CD reading laser on my PS2 died within 2 years so I could never play PlayStation games or CD PS2 games on it ever again. Still the most badass console ever though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

The CD reading laser on my PS2 died within 2 years so I could never play PlayStation games or CD PS2 games on it ever again. Still the most badass console ever though.

Mine stopped reading PS2 CD games so I couldn't play Ico but I'm pretty sure it still read PS1 games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I played a bunch of RE4 and Final Fantasy X that I got for my 12th birthday right before summer holidays. I think I had like 120 hours on FFX but sucked at it. I thought Auron was so cool so I just upgraded him and I think Lulu. I only unlocked haste at like Yunalesca. It ruled.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

The PS2 also had incredible backwards compatibility right out of the box. You could just plug in your PS1 controller and memory card and continue right where you were on the PS1. I still use my PS2 to play Final Fantasy 9 pretty regularly.

it even had options to filter textures and do AA on ps1 games

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

It's so refreshing to turn a console on and it doesn't have to connect to the internet, load any friends list, and goes straight to the game. It's one of those things you didn't know you missed dearly

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff posted:

it even had options to filter textures and do AA on ps1 games

And speed up load times too though it didn't always work.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Still use my PS2 to have arena fights in Crash Team Racing with my siblings every Christmas when we’re home.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It's so refreshing to turn a console on and it doesn't have to connect to the internet, load any friends list, and goes straight to the game. It's one of those things you didn't know you missed dearly
I'm not nostalgic for much, but I do miss being able to buy a game, take that game home, and play the game.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not nostalgic for much, but I do miss being able to buy a game, take that game home, and play the game.

This was also possible due to games being finished before they shipped

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Huh I didn't know some PS2 games were on CD

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I got my PS2 like summer 2003 with Xenosaga 1 and Metal Gear Solid 2. I never finished Xenosaga but MGS2 probably remains the full length game that I've beaten the most times. I'd finish a playthrough and then immediately start a new one that day

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

Huh I didn't know some PS2 games were on CD

Quite a few actually https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_CD-ROM_games.html

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff posted:

insane that even ea was churning out gold during that gen. they made the 007 games of the era and they kicked rear end

thinking about all the companies from the golden age that are either dead or pure evil now

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I’ve always dreamed of modding my old fat PS2 with a hard drive and roms but I’m much too dumb and lazy to actually do it. Would be extremely tight though

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I’ve always dreamed of modding my old fat PS2 with a hard drive and roms but I’m much too dumb and lazy to actually do it. Would be extremely tight though

Same tbh. I also have a slim PS2 with a hosed up laser and it would be nice to be able to use it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I need to do this still to play Siren 2.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

FactsAreUseless posted:

we never had ps1, so the xmas we got a ps2 i remember taking the money for one new ps2 game and instead getting a memory card, MGS, FF7, and Megaman Legends 1 & 2. good gaming

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theres a used game shop just down the street from me that I have to avoid because it has a massive collection of PS1 and PS2 games and I cant afford walking inside anymore

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I may be offered a job in the middle of loving nowhere for work and I just thought after turning on my ps4 and needing to install an update before playing dqxi that I may have difficulty gaming cause they get internet through rope and tin cans there prob.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Milkman posted:

we never had ps1, so the xmas we got a ps2 i remember taking the money for one new ps2 game and instead getting a memory card, MGS, FF7, and Megaman Legends 1 & 2. good gaming
Strong choices

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if that psx classic has MegaMan legends 1 and 2 on it I'll buy it for those alone

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Agean90 posted:

if that psx classic has MegaMan legends 1 and 2 on it I'll buy it for those alone
No analog sticks

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lmao gently caress that then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I think y'all are misremembering how weird the controls are in Megaman Legends, it didn't use the analog sticks & just had tank controls where you use L1 and R1 to turn . I can only imagine how it worked on an N64 controller

edit: I didn't play the second game though, not sure if it changed

• Locked thread