Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

I think y'all are misremembering how weird the controls are in Megaman Legends, it didn't use the analog sticks & just had tank controls where you use L1 and R1 to turn . I can only imagine how it worked on an N64 controller

edit: I didn't play the second game though, not sure if it changed

I rented mega man legends and I spent the whole day kicking cans over a counter for the pollution clean up bonus bc you could leave and re-enter the town and the can would respawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

I think y'all are misremembering how weird the controls are in Megaman Legends, it didn't use the analog sticks & just had tank controls where you use L1 and R1 to turn . I can only imagine how it worked on an N64 controller

edit: I didn't play the second game though, not sure if it changed

Mega Man Legends 2 has a few control options and one of them is very modern-style dual stick controls with fire mapped to a trigger. It feels pretty good

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

my favorite thing about the ps2 was that it had the right amount of accessablity and cost for it's time so you got really weird stuff. One that stands out was a game called dropship commander where you piloted a fancy sci-fi transport so you'd taxi dudes around the battlefield and do fire support for them and poo poo. It was interesting. Not good, but interesting and that can he just as nice.

Also Robot Alchemic Drive, a game that I pray for an he remake of every day

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Agean90 posted:

my favorite thing about the ps2 was that it had the right amount of accessablity and cost for it's time so you got really weird stuff. One that stands out was a game called dropship commander where you piloted a fancy sci-fi transport so you'd taxi dudes around the battlefield and do fire support for them and poo poo. It was interesting. Not good, but interesting and that can he just as nice.

Also Robot Alchemic Drive, a game that I pray for an he remake of every day
I only ever played the demo of RAD and I still regret never buying it. It was awesome

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

In Training posted:

I rented mega man legends and I spent the whole day kicking cans over a counter for the pollution clean up bonus bc you could leave and re-enter the town and the can would respawn.

if you did it enough your suit would become darker and darker until you were Black Megaman

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I only ever played the demo of RAD and I still regret never buying it. It was awesome

It's a better demo than it is game because there's 50 levels and they're all the exact same thing. The voice acting is god tier though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmnVHIvOQEw

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

this made me really anxious and unhappy. like a cat when it hears another cat on TV.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Didn't you stream this a long time ago? Or something like it. It was really not good if I remember correctly

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wish more games had done cel-shaded stuff like Okami because it lends itself so well to HD rereleases. Dark Chronicle looks really good on PS4 but I won't play it again because I'm still mad I could never get Sheriff Blinkhorn to move into my village

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i really liked virtua fighter 4

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I still have my launch PS2 my mom got me and hid until Christmas. December 2000. I still use it to this day

:hfive:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pablo Nergigante posted:

When I was 17 I had a summer job shredding old documents at my dad's office and I used my first paycheck to buy a PS2, GTA3 and Gran Turismo 3. Then a couple years later the guy I was directly working for got busted for embezzling a ton of money so I probably helped conceal evidence lol.

a lot of imps were adjacent to criminal activity in their younger days lol. you and that guy who got a sweet gaming pc funded by corruption

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I have to take minor issue with this thread title as it implies the PS2 was defeated. I think of it more as an accomplished warrior finally hanging up his sword and living out his days in peace.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I have to take minor issue with this thread title as it implies the PS2 was defeated. I think of it more as an accomplished warrior finally hanging up his sword and living out his days in peace.

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/1042681289164251137

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ2O46UdN-k

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmfao

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

raise your hand if you talked your mom into buying a ps2 because the whole family could use it as a dvd player

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GameCube posted:

raise your hand if you talked your mom into buying a ps2 because the whole family could use it as a dvd player

the best selling PS2 "release" during launch year was a DVD of the Matrix

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i owned the matrix dvd before i owned anything that could play it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

This is the exact future that the Matrix promised us.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Best Buy gave copies of The Matrix out to people waiting in line for PS2s so that's how I got mine. Man. I really miss 911 gaming

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I have to pay an insane amount of money to get my basement redone because water is leaking in the foundation and there's mold everywhere, but the silver lining is that I'll have a space to stick a lovely couch and CRT and relive my high school PS2 days when my bedroom was in the basement.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
The game most closely associated with 9/11 to my mind is Max Payne. Even though I got it in December 2001 I was playing it all the time while everyone lost their minds

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't own a PS2 until 2015

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I have to pay an insane amount of money to get my basement redone because water is leaking in the foundation and there's mold everywhere, but the silver lining is that I'll have a space to stick a lovely couch and CRT and relive my high school PS2 days when my bedroom was in the basement.

I lost my Saturn to a flood. Let us give thanks that your console survived.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

The game most closely associated with 9/11 to my mind is Max Payne. Even though I got it in December 2001 I was playing it all the time while everyone lost their minds

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I lost my Saturn to a flood. Let us give thanks that your console survived.

All my retro consoles and games were in the basement but I got them into the attic before they got damaged thankfully

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

It’s a good thing the Joker didn’t have Max’s bullet time skills. He would have been pretty much unstoppable at that point.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

It’s a good thing the Joker didn’t have Max’s bullet time skills. He would have been pretty much unstoppable at that point.

On the other hand, Max vs. the Joker would have been no contest. Max would have made short work of that freak.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

elf help book posted:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

diablo 2 for me. we got off school early and i came home and played it until my parents came home and started watching the news.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

diablo 2 for me. we got off school early and i came home and played it until my parents came home and started watching the news.

my neighbor got a game boy advance and a copy of Irdion 3D, but had to return it because the opening movie was too similar to 9/11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9dBOWP8rE&t=24s

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i remember iridion 3d, it was a star fox like. can't remember if it was any good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was the first GBA game I owned

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

It was the first GBA game I owned

Mine was this one. Yes Im in therapy and if anyone had similar experiences growing up feel free to reach out in PMs :glomp:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Mine was this one. Yes Im in therapy and if anyone had similar experiences growing up feel free to reach out in PMs :glomp:

Lol. My GBA was a Christmas gift and I was beyond ecstatic to unwrap it but then my heart sank when I opened the box and it was the translucent Pink one and realized everyone on the Bus was gonna give me poo poo and call me a Fag for having a pink game boy.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

goferchan posted:

that game got released on ps1, and its a straight port of the gba game with the same graphics, and it was in 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj10BZWGkAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I had completely blocked out the way his head gets big and he looks at the camera grimacing after a dash. Thanks for setting me back a few years

• Locked thread