Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Been thinking about this and I'm going to go with Sorcerer, which I saw when I was 8.

"It's 5 to 9....in Paris" :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unaccounted
Jul 13, 2007
Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I expected the silly characters, but was totally disoriented by the structure and subverted expectations, especially the ending. Watched it again last week and had a great time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The first movie I saw in a theater was Bambi, this was sometime in the 80s so I couldn't have been older than 7 or 8, and it was one of those movies that taught me that film can present to you traumatic stories with a degree of separation so that you can watch it with both the emotional connectivity that a movie provides, while also not have to personally go through that trauma yourself (or at least go through it in a way that you're still the observer and not the one suffering from the direct impact of the trauma).

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

I saw Barton Fink in a theater when it was released and when I left I was stunned. I felt like it was a new world.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Modern Times. I first saw it when I was around 8-9 years old, it was the first silent movie I'd ever seen, and I loved it. I laughed nonstop. And then it got to the part where a safety flag drops off the back of a truck, Chaplin picks it up and waves it around, trying to get the driver's attention--and a crowd of protesters starts marching behind him, leading to his arrest. That's when I understood that the movie was really about something, not just made for entertainment. Subsequent viewings were still entertaining, but for a different reason--now I could understand the ideas being conveyed by the visual gags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fart City posted:

The Thing. It was the first movie ever saw (at perhaps too young an age) that ever made me wonder how did they do that? But beyond the stellar effects work, the movie is also filled with fantastic performances, an incredible score, beautiful cinematography, and a somber and contemplative mood that separates it from other similar genre films. It’s a movie I’ve been able o appreciate different aspects to upon multiple rewatches over a course of years. Truly a gift that keeps on giving.

Bingo. Same here. The film was ahead of its time, and its ending had a profound effect on the way I watch movies; it's the first time I saw a film that intentionally focused on themes (in this case, the primal fears of isolation, paranoia, and body horror fused so flawlessly) in favor of plot that worked.

And that loving score.