Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Stelas posted:

off the top of my head, start from the balcony of the quest hub, jump to the east edge of the map, then follow the edge around to the south

I'm assuming I need the ice element for the fire in this room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Syndlig posted:

so i beat the game last night. pretty fun game, sad to see it end! still gotta find all the chests and finish my botanics, also gotta figure out what that last quest for Basin Keep is that's keeping me from 100%ing it...

If you don't have a pass to get into the slum trade areas then sometime after you do one or both of the shock/wave temples go all the way to the east end of the keep and there'll be a dude there that gives you a quest that leads to opening up the entire area.

As for the Finale: I don't think it felt extremely rushed, just normally rushed. I mean, Sapphire Ridge has 0 quests in it on the board and I'd argue that's more indicative of being rushed than the ending. Also remember the Instant Matter lesson on the Solar: Lea quite literally can't do anything to save Gautham because the only thing that she can do that might actually effect him is talk with him. Which is significantly less effective with her vocabulary.

Also yeah, Gautham's whole thing is sort of a separate plot thread but he explains it throughout the dungeon. When Lea does the impossible and escapes the Wasteland the first time he shifts gears and does basically what he really wants to do: make the craziest dungeon with the craziest boss fight and have someone go through and beat it.

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm assuming I need the ice element for the fire in this room?

Yes. Also the weird old dude with the quest is in the door below that one.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The main rushed part of the ending is if you get the 'bad' ending first - i.e. if you don't do the extra steps to get the full ending - the game blocks you at that final area and gives a cute little 'the future might yet change' message. Then you go back, complete the extra steps, skip the final raid and dungeon, fight the final boss again... ... and get told you have to wait anyway. oops!

But, yeah, the number of quests drops off hard in late-game areas and the endgame is just 'now let's level up all the existing enemies and give them new drops'. The gameplay's real fun, they just evidently wanted it out the door already. The plot kind of needs you to assume you grow a lot closer to some people than you'd expect, or else this MMO just has the nicest playerbase ever.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So I have enough modifiers that they go off the list and it says "(Y) 2 hidden", but if I press Y it just brings up the search filter for items. How do I view my full modifier list when switching gear?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I think that depends what you're using. For me, using a PS4 pad on PC, it was 'click the right stick'.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Stelas posted:

The main rushed part of the ending is if you get the 'bad' ending first - i.e. if you don't do the extra steps to get the full ending - the game blocks you at that final area and gives a cute little 'the future might yet change' message. Then you go back, complete the extra steps, skip the final raid and dungeon, fight the final boss again... ... and get told you have to wait anyway. oops!

But, yeah, the number of quests drops off hard in late-game areas and the endgame is just 'now let's level up all the existing enemies and give them new drops'. The gameplay's real fun, they just evidently wanted it out the door already. The plot kind of needs you to assume you grow a lot closer to some people than you'd expect, or else this MMO just has the nicest playerbase ever.

to be fair, i play warframe, and the playerbase there is actually shockingly generally super nice and helpful, so it's not unheard of

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SirSamVimes posted:

So I have enough modifiers that they go off the list and it says "(Y) 2 hidden", but if I press Y it just brings up the search filter for items. How do I view my full modifier list when switching gear?

Yeah that poo poo is super annoying

I just hit G on my keyboard but still sucks

Will have to try if stick press works

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I am in an endgame seeming area with endgame seeming revelations and yet I have only unlocked half my elements. And if this is midgame then man this is going to go places isn't it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So how do you actually use the "upgraded" paths for the "Arts" powers? Like getting the Cannon Shot -> Boomerang Throw Art seems like it's a crap shoot if it ever shoots. I thought it had to do with maybe it takes 2 SP to perform these but sometimes at 2 SP it still doesn't cast? Holding down R2 longer doesnt seem to make a difference and mostly just fires the base art. but sometimes it does just activate.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Xaris posted:

So how do you actually use the "upgraded" paths for the "Arts" powers? Like getting the Cannon Shot -> Boomerang Throw Art seems like it's a crap shoot if it ever shoots. I thought it had to do with maybe it takes 2 SP to perform these but sometimes at 2 SP it still doesn't cast? Holding down R2 longer doesnt seem to make a difference and mostly just fires the base art. but sometimes it does just activate.

Level 2 arts take 3 SP to use.

Level 3 takes 5.

I have a hard time getting dash arts to go off because I suck at hitting the spacebar mid-dash instead of at the end :v:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Man nobody told me this game was the Pocky & Rocky RPG I always wanted. I woulda bought it sooner.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I just wrapped up the Vermillion Wastelands and Tower and holy poo poo am I totally down with everything going on in this game right now. This is getting wild.

I'll be honest I wasn't feeling the game for the first couple hours but sticking with it has basically made the uneven start out to be just a slightly too-sharp difficulty curve at the start that smooths out nicely when you get some practice in. Combat gets better with elements and better skills, puzzles are getting easier, figuring out jumping paths is getting much easier. Everything's coming together really well and I hope it continues for the rest of the game.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Three words:

gently caress timing puzzles.

Otherwise good game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There was only one puzzle element that actually ticked me off. In the final dungeon.

Freezing storm room: getting the bubble to freeze and hit the boiler in a really, really, really tight space. Waaaaay too finicky on shot/ice bounce mechanics for my taste.

The timing puzzles were kind of fun and simple to learn organically in my experience.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

iospace posted:

Three words:

gently caress timing puzzles.

Otherwise good game.

Have you gotten to the timed platforming yet? Cause let me tell you, that is some bullshit.

But yeah, good game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I am unironically a big fan of the "manipulate a track as a slow moving bullet goes through it" puzzles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Skippy McPants posted:

Have you gotten to the timed platforming yet? Cause let me tell you, that is some bullshit.

But yeah, good game.

I finished the game, so yes.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If you're having problems with a given puzzle it's usually worth remembering (in temples, at least) that the lines on the floor are pretty much a hint system - they're rarely explicit but they usually have features that indicate where a pillar should sit / where you should aim along.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
I've been very much enjoying the game so far. I bought Early Access on Steam about two years ago, after playing the demo and falling in love with the controls/art/music/puzzles.

Because I didn't want to hit "content unavailable" on my first play through, I decided to shelve the game after a few hours in. I restarted earlier this week , and will SLOWLY retrain my muscle memory (I'm not so good at twitch games).

My only regret is, with such a bright and cheerful color palette, my eyes can only handle about an hour every day. But I will enjoy that hour. :D

So yeah, this will probably take me a month to get through. IF you get stuck on puzzles, thee's a Walkthrough on the Steam Community.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 6, 2018

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Something like 20 minutes into the last (I loving hope) puzzle of the temple where you get the electric element and I'm wishing extremely hard they had some kind of mercy-rule skip-this-puzzle option at this point.

I know exactly what I have to do. What I have to do is like sixteen loving steps of movement and precise aiming and these stupid electric orbs to baby a shot across a massive room while hitting all the right pillars and dropping two forcefields. I keep trying. I can't get it. gently caress this I just want to go back to the interesting plot :(

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
The developers of this game clearly played the same games as I did in my youth.

Lea's level up animation is pretty much from Terranigma, the market system reminds me of a certain town in Secret of Evermore and the music in Rooky Harbor channels Ragnarok Online in parts. Well the whole MMO kinda does.

Good game. Although I have to say pretty much every challenge in this game overstays its welcome by about a third.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

It sure is a shame this game hasn't gotten more buzz.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
A friend on my steam friends list was playing this and I hadn't heard of it, so I watched the trailer and it pretty much looks like what I expected Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden 2 would be like, in my head. Then I remembered that game is loving vape-o-ware now and got sad

thought you guys might like to know

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I'm enjoying this game. I'm at the part where you get fire and I got it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It sure is a shame this game hasn't gotten more buzz.

I'd guess it's because it's been in Early Access for ages and ages, and reasonably feature-complete for a large chunk of it. Most people who were excited for it have probably played it plenty already.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dunno, I only heard about it thanks to a post in the RPG thread, and turns out I’ve owned it for ages from some random bundle and never woulda touched it deliberately, but it’s super sweet. Could use better press!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
This game is really good. I just finished the first dungeon last night after doing all of the side quests (that I was able to find) up to that point. The combat and elemental system is neat. Those snow men are gonna have a real bad day when I get back to the mountain with this new heat power.

There was a point in the first dungeon where I was stuck for a good while. That sliding block puzzle where you circled around it on the moving platform and had to shoot into it through the red walls and bounce shots off the triangular blocks. It was late at night and I had f.lux running at its lowest setting so I couldn't tell that there were shootable red walls on the sides and I was only able to see the ones on the top and bottom. After two shots the block was in an unshootable position. I gave up and had to look up a youtube walkthrough for that part. That puzzle needs a visibility tweak.

e: 12:16 in this video is the puzzle I'm talking about. Even now with my laptop's brightness cranked all the way up it's hard to see those shootable sections on the sides.

now for gripes!!

I'm extremely over the silent protagonist / broken speech module thing. I understand that doesn't change and you never get more than a few words?

I'd like to just tell Apollo to gently caress off, /ignore or block him or something. This is supposed to be an MMO, so why would my player put up with that rear end in a top hat harassing me every time he sees me?

As soon as I can figure out how to cheatengine myself a couple dozen circuit resets I'm gonna do it so I can respec at will. And circuit resets only affect one wing of the skill tree rather than the whole thing? I'm extremely not cool with games that do this. Give me an option on the skill screen to go to some kind of a virtual combat arena so I can see all these abilities in action and how they affect my character before I permanently set skill points. How deep in melee do I want to go? Should I focus on ranged? Going by some comments I've read it sounds like ranged is the only way to stay alive in the late game?

Rolling combo counters with a concrete impact on the gameplay. Don't like 'em. The feeling of being rushed trying to keep it active and moving between enemies makes me anxious, and since quest loot is gated by your combo rank you need to keep it rolling to get quest drops. I expect I'll need to be conscious of the order I kill enemies so the right ones will still be alive by the time I get to the high combo rank required for quest items to drop.

Jumping puzzles. Perspective makes it hard to see if I'm on the same plane as what ledge/platform I'm trying to jump towards. I've fallen and lost progress more times than I can count and had to take the convoluted jumping puzzle paths to get back to where I was, sometimes requiring multiple screen transitions.

and probably more I can't recall off the top of my head.

Game good. Single player fake MMOs are my jam. I'm sure once I get a better handle of things most of those gripes will fade. Except Apollo. Go jump in the water, dipshit.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 8, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Apollo owns unless he gets worse after you get the third/fourth elements.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I beat Apollo the second time only.

I got swept the third time but from an in-universe perspective, I felt it was fitting given Lea was uh... not in a good state at all. "I'm only doing this because you want to and the sooner it's over the better."

As for ranged vs melee, it sort of is but it isn't? You need ranged to fill up the break meter but it's not an exclusive requirement. I had a melee heavy build the entire way and had no problems with the final boss apart from my inability to dodge properly.

Dry Rot
May 30, 2012
Does anyone know how to beat this puzzle? I got passed by somehow extending my jump range, but I have no idea how nor have I been able to replicate it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dry Rot posted:

Does anyone know how to beat this puzzle? I got passed by somehow extending my jump range, but I have no idea how nor have I been able to replicate it.

Shoot fire at the pillar to drop down it to hit the lightning to charge the ball, send the ball around to charge the pillar which will turn on the jump pad.

Is that what you meant?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

There's a switch to the N that's just out of shot (follow the lights on the floor) that toggles the two blue doors - the one you can see, and the one just to the north of the electric tower. (You can see the strip on the floor.)

You're supposed to switch the doors, shoot the orb NE so it latches onto the east wall travelling upwards (as per the floor lines) then switch the doors again once it's through so it can reach the tower.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bummey posted:

There was a point in the first dungeon where I was stuck for a good while. That sliding block puzzle where you circled around it on the moving platform and had to shoot into it through the red walls and bounce shots off the triangular blocks. It was late at night and I had f.lux running at its lowest setting so I couldn't tell that there were shootable red walls on the sides and I was only able to see the ones on the top and bottom. After two shots the block was in an unshootable position. I gave up and had to look up a youtube walkthrough for that part. That puzzle needs a visibility tweak.

I'm extremely over the silent protagonist / broken speech module thing. I understand that doesn't change and you never get more than a few words?

I'd like to just tell Apollo to gently caress off, /ignore or block him or something. This is supposed to be an MMO, so why would my player put up with that rear end in a top hat harassing me every time he sees me?

As soon as I can figure out how to cheatengine myself a couple dozen circuit resets I'm gonna do it so I can respec at will. And circuit resets only affect one wing of the skill tree rather than the whole thing? I'm extremely not cool with games that do this. Give me an option on the skill screen to go to some kind of a virtual combat arena so I can see all these abilities in action and how they affect my character before I permanently set skill points. How deep in melee do I want to go? Should I focus on ranged? Going by some comments I've read it sounds like ranged is the only way to stay alive in the late game?

I had no problems seeing the orange walls in that first puzzle but I agree that those walls could use a visibility tweak, like say for the colorblind.

Yes. Lea has a problem with speech and that's going to be consistent throughout the game. She is also the most expressive character in the cast to make up for it. There's some good stuff ahead.

Apollo's overbearing yeah, although part of that is how he's playing the character. His quadroguard buddy is chill as all heck and they yin/yang each other well.

You can swap your art choices freely (IE, you can swap your spin attack for buzzsaw blade freely) and there's a few dummies in the area you can whack to see how you like stuff. They are by far the most important choices you make, everything else is just stat boosts. The only time I actually used the free circuit resets I got from the main quest was when I unlocked level 3 Arts and I had more than enough to do all of my branches at once.

Dry Rot posted:

There's a shoot switch on that little island in the top left that controls the blue walls. Shoot that, use elemental shots on the sconce so it throws them into the lightning ball, then when the lightning ball is past the first blue wall shoot the switch to toggle the blue wall back so the lightning ball charges the jump pad.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I hear the second tier arts cost 3 SP. I can get that in a long fight, but will my base/resting SP ever go above 1?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yes. Story milestones will boost you max SP to 8/12, and your resting will go up to 2/4.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 9, 2018

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Also, as your focus goes up, so does your SP generation - it's not hard to build up meter later.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is it just me or do Apollo and the quadroguard seem like a couple? They own cats together, Juergo (probably completely misremembering his name) jokes about being jealous of Apollo's fixation with Lea and something about their dynamic just comes off like that to me.

edit: Joern. I got one letter right I guess.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 11, 2018

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
I hope the post-game content gets added sometime soon, I only just recently finished the game and for some reason it's made me feel... lonely? I did manage to do the conditions for the true ending first time through thankfully, had to look up the bad ending afterwards and hoo boy I'm glad I didn't screw up! :cry:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

Is it just me or do Apollo and the quadroguard seem like a couple? They own cats together, Juergo (probably completely misremembering his name) jokes about being jealous of Apollo's fixation with Lea and something about their dynamic just comes off like that to me.

Some form of close relationship going by their banter. Could be a couple or some form of family or close friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SirSamVimes posted:

They do live together, since there's dialogue about watering the plants and feeding the cat even before the third temple.