Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
I enjoyed what they did with Towlie this season, he had some good moments. Looks like he might be living on Tegridy Farms now?

And Santa's reaction and response to the towns folk was amusing in this episode.

I asked Alexa to kill Kenny and she was "Not sure" so I call bullshit on that part of the episode.

Knee fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's like they had a really good idea at the end of the season, but only 2 episodes to do it in and couldn't get everything done...

Was a funny episode and Trump / Garrison in handcuffs at the end brought a smile to my face...

It's almost like it's possible to have a season of a TV show with more than 10 episodes.... :thunk:

(That's not me being critical of your comment, I'm just annoyed that Trey & Matt are phoning in 10 last-minute episodes a year but then cramming in stuff when they actually have a story to tell.)

Cawdor posted:

I don't know, I think the Catholic pedophile episode pretty bluntly called out the vatican, rather than having a clever message. That seems like it would have made a bigger splash a few years ago.

The casual nature of the school shootings through the season would also have been a bigger deal a few years ago, which was pretty much the message.

What else can they do to piss people off?

I wouldn't say that making fun of Catholic pedophiles is something likely to piss off many people... (Other than Catholic pedophiles.)

And nobody seems to care about school shootings, so that's a non-issue.

Sir Lemming posted:

Road To Rhode Island, season 2. I never saw it "in the wild" myself, it was cut from all airings after 9/11 and even the DVDs. I think it appears on at least one compilation DVD though.

Seth apparently didn't fight the edit too hard because it wasn't really intended to be a 9/11 joke in the first place, but unwittingly became one. (Also, he may have been a little spooked at the time because he was supposed to be on one of those planes.)

Ah, ok, I've seen that episode many times, and they definitely edited it. I'm assuming I saw it when it originally aired (as I likely would have at the time) and just forgot about that scene in the intervening 18+ years.

You also reminded me about McFarlane missing his plane on 9/11. :(

All of these 9/11 and early Family Guy/South Park references are making me feel old. (And I don't know if you guys have seen it, but the 3rd-4th episode of the current season of Family Guy has a "this show is old" reference that brings up Rick & Morty. :3:)

Knee posted:

I enjoyed what they did with Towlie this season, he had some good moments. Looks like he might be living on Tegridy Farms now?

And Santa's reaction and response to the towns folk was amusing in this episode.

I asked Alexa to kill Kenny and she was "Not sure" so I call bullshit on that part of the episode.

It's interesting how as they've aged, both Trey can't really do Mr. Hankey's voice anymore, and Vern Chatman's Towelie (a similar-sounding voice) also sounds a little rough.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Atomizer posted:

It's interesting how as they've aged, both Trey can't really do Mr. Hankey's voice anymore, and Vern Chatman's Towelie (a similar-sounding voice) also sounds a little rough.

The season was hit and miss for me but the voices were all over the place

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

On a 2nd watch, it turns out that Ned is okay after all.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

On a 2nd watch, it turns out that Ned is okay after all.

Is this said at some point? I might watch a few episodes again from this season but that two parter was... not great

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is this said at some point? I might watch a few episodes again from this season but that two parter was... not great

He's all bandaged up at the end, in a wheelchair, being tended to by Jimbo (during the bike parade thing.)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I liked the conclusion. Wasn't great but the children killing the guy in the box was brilliantly evil(I'd predicted a dog but kids were way better).

Overall I think the season was in the 7/10 range. Nothing too memorable but there were only two episodes I felt were weak.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
The throwaway joke of Mr. Garrison being in handcuffs was great.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Personally I think it'd be great if after Trump resigns or gets perp-walked out of the White House in cuffs or whatever happens soon that Trey and Matt will have Mr Garrison and the entire White House staff arrested only to be replaced by Donald Trump. There'll be some complicated loophole in the law, the upshot of which Trump just becomes the President in the South Park universe.

Or no, they tease it to make you think it's going to be Trump but it's Mel Gibson.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I hate to ask here because of derail hell but I avoid D&D like the plague and gently caress GBS...

Kind of Off-Topic and all but I'm curious, what's the current status or peoples thoughts of Trump going right the gently caress down? I know that those close to or previously working for him are still chatting with the special investigation crew.. does it really look like this will all come crashing down hard on him? He gonna (well, no because rich white guy) go to jail for a bunch of poo poo?

Where's everything at right now with Trump specifically?

I mean, more and more people crumbling around him, but what about things with Trump himself?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
It appears that Mueller is trying to build a rock hard case that Trump can slip out of. Cross T's. Dot I's.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Knee posted:

I hate to ask here because of derail hell but I avoid D&D like the plague and gently caress GBS...

So you come here? Man you should write for the show. You're funny as gently caress!

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

Considering the political derails that have occurred in this thread, I figure there are people who read it that are more in the know than me, and hopefully less toxic than other places on these forums have become.

It's hopeful thinking, but I don't care to watch much news, or try to find some decent "general news" site that isn't just one-sided bullshit.

Maybe I'm asking way too much of SA goons these days... sorry.

So that South Park, what will they think of next, am I right?

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Or no, they tease it to make you think it's going to be Trump but it's Mel Gibson.

Mel Gibson as the South Park version of Pence...is actually kind of perfect.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Knee posted:

Considering the political derails that have occurred in this thread, I figure there are people who read it that are more in the know than me, and hopefully less toxic than other places on these forums have become.

It's hopeful thinking, but I don't care to watch much news, or try to find some decent "general news" site that isn't just one-sided bullshit.

Maybe I'm asking way too much of SA goons these days... sorry.

So that South Park, what will they think of next, am I right?

Politics?! Not in my South Park!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Butters peacocking was great.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They even got the feathers ruffling.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Right now I think people are far more hopeful of political disaster for Trump than actual impeachment/arrest. Look how hard it is for him to find a Chief Of Staff or generally retain anybody at all. There are definitely some consequences going on. But with the Republican party gradually being purged of anyone but Trump loyalists, and with them still being largely in control, it seems unlikely that any attempt at removal will get very far.

The other possibility is resignation. While he probably lacks the self-awareness or selflessness to quit just because things are getting too bad, he might if he perceives it as a way to avoid consequences. So that depends on how airtight the Mueller stuff is, I guess. He does have a habit of settling lawsuits instead of actually fighting them. (Unfortunately, in many ways being president shields him from consequences rather than making than more severe. Hell, that may be the whole reason he even ran.)

Or he might resign if Mr. Slave calls him and dares him to.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 15, 2018

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The latest development in the Mueller investigation is some clandestine "everybody get the gently caress out of this wing of Congress 'cause poo poo is going down" business. They shut down some floor of, I forget if it was Congress or the Supreme Court and nobody was allowed in or out and no media just a skeleton crew of people. Whatever's about to happen they don't want any perps to know it's coming, so people are speculating it's one of the Trumpkins at least. Don Jr. seems a likely candidate.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Trump is gone get hosed in the rear end by the intelligence community, which almost feels like a win in America until you remember the intelligence community fucks everything up for Americans all the time

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
But whatever, you know. gently caress his big orange rear end to death

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

The latest development in the Mueller investigation is some clandestine "everybody get the gently caress out of this wing of Congress 'cause poo poo is going down" business. They shut down some floor of, I forget if it was Congress or the Supreme Court and nobody was allowed in or out and no media just a skeleton crew of people. Whatever's about to happen they don't want any perps to know it's coming, so people are speculating it's one of the Trumpkins at least. Don Jr. seems a likely candidate.

Can't tell if you're being facetious.... It was at the federal courthouse in DC, and it's about a grand jury subpoena challenge that's been going back and forth between the trial and appellate courts. The entire floor of the courthouse on which the challenge was to occur was cleared of reporters and the motion argued in secret. The reason for this is likely because of the desire for the subpoenaed to remain unknown: think Pence or Trumpler.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
They spent all season not mentioning Trump for a reason and we're here loving up that reason!!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
It's because they wrote themselves into a corner with what was supposed to be a stupid joke: Garrison/Trump. So now Garrison is ruined and there isn't a joke to be made.

Hopefully they just revert Garrison because he was consistently one the best ancillary characters.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly if they’d just kept the blond wig off him it all would have been totally on brand for the kind of single-mindedly spiteful coward he’s always been.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sassassin posted:

Butters peacocking was great.

That and the crowd at the end facing the wrong direction.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Trump wrote the Valley of the penises? It's a seminal work.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Waltzing Along posted:

It's because they wrote themselves into a corner with what was supposed to be a stupid joke: Garrison/Trump. So now Garrison is ruined and there isn't a joke to be made.

Hopefully they just revert Garrison because he was consistently one the best ancillary characters.

It's just too easy to dunk on Trump. Too many comedies do it

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

King Vidiot posted:

Why would they bother going after one of Trumps kids while Trump is the president?

Would be a waste of time and resources to charge somebody of a crime that will just get pardoned off.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This administration is inviting a few constitutional crises. I'd imagine part of why the investigation is taking so long (other than Mueller wanting a bulletproof case) is with respect to navigating the dumb political mechanisms that can get in the way. In general they want to incentivize plea deals (and just lol at the one guy who lied to investigators anyway) and disincentivize pardons. Just because Trump can pardon all these bozos doesn't mean he should, and he's bigly into self preservation so I'm sure the two or three loyal and competent advisors who remind him that pardons here are political suicide are doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Why would they bother going after one of Trumps kids while Trump is the president?

Would be a waste of time and resources to charge somebody of a crime that will just get pardoned off.

By and large his children are guilty of crimes at the state level, which cannot be pardoned.

Also the way you catch big criminals is by starting at the bottom of the ladder and torching everything below your target. You consume all their resources and allies until everyone under them has implicated them. Starting at the top and going straight for Trump provides too many outs.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Knee posted:

Kind of Off-Topic and all but I'm curious, what's the current status or peoples thoughts of Trump going right the gently caress down? I know that those close to or previously working for him are still chatting with the special investigation crew.. does it really look like this will all come crashing down hard on him? He gonna (well, no because rich white guy) go to jail for a bunch of poo poo?

I mean, more and more people crumbling around him, but what about things with Trump himself?

My money's on him being impeached for something tangential to the original focus of the investigation, like Capone's taxes or Clinton's blowjob.

If he's impeached at all, which I won't hold my breath for.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Him and his whole family will do state time post 2020 if he loses reelection because the intelligence community wants him to rot in jail and in America they get what they want don't @ me

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Knee posted:

I would love to see it but don't think the Senate actually has the balls to convict him. The Republicans who claim to hate him will just get in line with the party.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I fear that he'll get re-elected because, well, America (wtf America, seriously?). If he runs for re-election (some how survives his empire crumbling around him by that point) would he be doing so as a Republican? I would think they would try to find someone "better" than Trump. And the Dems? I mean, lol, get your poo poo together, right?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Eh, keep in mind his popularity and the results of these past midterms (where not only was turnout tremendous for midterms, but were far in the Democrats' favor.) Then remember that he's implicated in multiple criminal enterprises ("Individual 1" is literally an unindicted co-conspirator.) Regardless of the unpredictability of the 2016 election, and the lack of consensus over whether he can be indicted and/or pardon himself, the deck is seriously stacked against him; the only way he'd benefit from any ambiguous/reluctant support from outside his base is if the SC's investigation somehow was ongoing beyond the 2020 election (in other words, a conclusion was not yet reached.)

On top of aaallllllllll that, there are Democratic candidates that are far more popular than he is; Biden is the front-runner (for some reason) just as one example.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm just pessimistic when it comes to politics. The divide in this country and how everything gets turned political (violently even) is just saddening and only worsening. I'm a believer in peaceful discourse, even when people strongly disagree with one another. You do you, let me do me, and we can just continue on living how we want.

Free thought, free speech, within a peaceful co-existence and all that. I mean, it'll never happen... I'm just a bit of a dreamer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Despite the fatigue of the news cycle where it constantly seems like a million things are happening and nothing is really changing, try to think back to what it was like in 2016. The truth is, a lot of people were holding out hope that Trump would not actually be like this when he was president. That it was all an act for the campaign trail, or he would hire "the best people"*, or he would be restrained by the rest of the party, cabinet, and the other branches. You may say these people were foolish to have any such hope, but I'm not evaluating that right now -- the fact is, this was the thought process of a lot of the "well, at least he's not Hillary" voters. I think there's a sizable amount of these people who are now horrified by him and would not vote for him again. They won't necessarily vote for a different party, they may just not vote at all.

*(Seriously, I think even the most cynical among us overestimated his ability to competently hire/fire people. He is shockingly bad at it.)

EDIT: Plus, even if Ruth Bader Ginsburg kicks the bucket in 2020, the GOP has still had the amazing fortune of being able to install two Supreme Court justices this term (even though they almost boofed it by picking Kavanaugh), so there is no longer any real threat of the court becoming dominated by liberals any time soon. I know for a fact that that was the single biggest carrot dangled in front of conservatives who weren't enthusiastic about Trump, and now it's gone.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 20, 2018

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Knee posted:

I fear that he'll get re-elected because, well, America (wtf America, seriously?). If he runs for re-election (some how survives his empire crumbling around him by that point) would he be doing so as a Republican? I would think they would try to find someone "better" than Trump. And the Dems? I mean, lol, get your poo poo together, right?

He is not an anomaly he represents the exact ideals they've been pushing for 30 years the only reason they would want someone else is he pulls the curtain back too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i like how trump out triangulated the triangulators basically i mean lol it sucks but it also owns to see a dumb huge idiot outplay the democrats