Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
In a completely-unrelated matter, the last episode of South Park had me chuckling here and there, most-loudly at the bit where Bezos told the infuriated townspeople that they were facing the wrong way.
The "cameo" of the PC-babies was a bit tiresome, but overall, the last two episodes were pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sir Lemming posted:

I think there's a sizable amount of these people who are now horrified by him and would not vote for him again. They won't necessarily vote for a different party, they may just not vote at all.

LOL-ing that I wrote this before yesterday's White House drama. The type of people I was describing above are really not gonna like James Mattis leaving, the troop withdrawal, or probably even the whole wall thing. (It's also possible the wall thing is gonna backfire for the people who do want it. Steel slats, never said concrete!)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Lemming posted:

LOL-ing that I wrote this before yesterday's White House drama. The type of people I was describing above are really not gonna like James Mattis leaving, the troop withdrawal, or probably even the whole wall thing. (It's also possible the wall thing is gonna backfire for the people who do want it. Steel slats, never said concrete!)

I will never, ever understand why the gently caress people think an unmanned wall in the desert is going to do jack poo poo except cost a huge amount of money for absolutely zero effect, no matter what your politics are.

Unmanned walls have never stopped anyone with 2 seconds of planning in all of human history.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1076239448461987841

Exhibit 59746 for why Trey & Matt have given up on trying to parody this guy

I mean he is literally funnier than South Park and I'm not even knocking South Park

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

This place is not a place of honor...no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Why is Blazing Self Ownager still posting? He literally defended cops killing innocent people. He is not liberal, he is loving deluded.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Trumps the fever that will finally... own... the libs...

*curls up and fukcing diess

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

I will never, ever understand why the gently caress people think an unmanned wall in the desert is going to do jack poo poo except cost a huge amount of money for absolutely zero effect, no matter what your politics are.

Unmanned walls have never stopped anyone with 2 seconds of planning in all of human history.

I was certain W wouldn't get re-elected so I would now never underestimate the orange piece of poo poo either. His approval rating is 89% among Republicans. EIGHTY NINE percent. And the remaining 11 would go vote for him because they hate the libs even more, when it comes to it. Obviously dems should be able to turn out more voters but still ugh.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Obviously it's important not to get complacent, but I do believe fewer people are identifying as "Republican" now, so that percentage doesn't necessarily mean much.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It means a lot when you have a broken governmental system that gives small states just as much power as bigger ones. Where in some states a vote is 10 times more powerful than in others. It certainly matters.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
This season was probably the most nihilistic ever and a dramatic shift the classic South Park "gently caress everyone who cares about stuff". The recurring theme is that everything is terrible and no-one is doing anything about it.

ep 1: School shootings are bad and nobody is going to do anything about it.
ep 2: Everybody knows the Catholic church covers for pedophile priests and no-one is willing to really do anything about it but laugh about priests loving kids.
ep 3: The Simpsons are terrible but will remain on the air forever.
ep 4: Vape companies are pushing an addictive product on kids and nobody is really doing anything about it.
ep 5: Goddamn kids on their scooters!
ep 6/7: Anthropogenic climate change is very real and will gently caress us all and we're not doing anything about it.
ep 8: Goddamn kids and their anxiety issues!
ep 9/10: Amazon has eaten entire industries and nobody is doing anything about it but also it's an improvement over how things used to be.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gobbeldygook posted:

The recurring theme is that every episode is terrible

FTFY

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Gobbeldygook posted:

This season was probably the most nihilistic ever

i've been bad about rewatching episodes from recent seasons and always wind up binging through episodes from like season 8-15ish. i like this nihilistic take and will use it as an excuse to look for the pattern as i rewatch this season.

as an aside, i went through a handful of the christmas episodes this week and wound up watching a good chunk of early south park episodes and it was a nice change of pace. the live action commercials and more generous use of mumbled words when describing goofy poo poo is nice to be exposed to since more recent seasons are so on the nose.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Gobbeldygook posted:

This season was probably the most nihilistic ever and a dramatic shift the classic South Park "gently caress everyone who cares about stuff". The recurring theme is that everything is terrible and no-one is doing anything about it.

ep 2: Everybody knows the Catholic church covers for pedophile priests and no-one is willing to really do anything about it but laugh about priests loving kids.
ep 4: Vape companies are pushing an addictive product on kids and nobody is really doing anything about it.
ep 6/7: Anthropogenic climate change is very real and will gently caress us all and we're not doing anything about it.
ep 9/10: Amazon has eaten entire industries and nobody is doing anything about it but also it's an improvement over how things used to be.

The issue with the last couple seasons has been there are moments which shine but, even then, they get ruined by other garbage. I watched the nursing home episode the other day and, while the prison and barbershop quartet angles were great, they were ruined by Josh Gad's character.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I wish Matt & Trey would just drop a "That's my Trump" tv show like they did for Bush before 9/11 when it was cool to make fun of Bush.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
But they voted for Trump. Look inside your heart. You know it is true.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Garrison posted:

I don't wanna be here. Please just let me go. I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know anything. I'm scared. I'm completely clueless how to proceed. I just... spew bullshit and cry myself to sleep at night. Stop thinking that I'm anything more than a douche in over his head. For gently caress's sake, please.

I kinda doubt it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mr. Garrison right before the election posted:

My fellow Americans, we live in an unprecedented time of uncertainty. I want to speak to you human-to-human because with God's grace, this will be the last time you ever hear from me. When I started this campaign I was saying a lot of poo poo because I was angry, and then I turned that anger into pushing buttons by being more and more outrageous. Slowly, people started paying attention to me and I guess it made me feel powerful. Well now the chickens have come home to roost. Sooner or later, we all get exposed. We're all held accountable for what we say, what we do. There is only one thing that matters now. On November eighth, you must vote against me, and show the world that you didn't think the new Star Wars was all that good. When you're in that voting booth, remember that every vote for Hillary Clinton is a vote that shows the world we agree that The Force Awakens was more like a Happy Days reunion special than a movie. The choice is yours, America. Please make the right one.

I mean it's still possible I guess

Regardless, I wouldn't really want "That's My Trump" anyway

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Candidate Garrison posted:

Everyone, I need to just speak from the heart here. Uhm, I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing. I've gotta come clean. Uh, I had no idea I would get this far, but the fact of the matter is, I should not be President. Okay? I will gently caress this country up beyond repair. I'm a sick, angry little man. Please, if you care at all about the future of our country, vote for her. Okay? She's the one who at least has some experience. She, she's not as bad as you think, I promise. And unlike me, she's actually capable of running this country.

I really doubt it.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Gobbeldygook posted:

That is an interesting relatively new spin they put on for the whole season in general. Sure, there were some very depressing episodes before, everything is equally poo poo yadayada, but this season had a whole different underlying tone to it.

Usually south park chose to react to whatever they chose to react to by being more or less regular, even though extreme, satire and making it completely ridiculous. This season however didn't really react to any problems, it rather reacted to people reacting to serious problems, drawing a pessimistic picture of how not caring in general or only caring about oneself leads to nihilistic pessimism.

Look at Randy for example, he surely had one of the most iconic (or non-iconic) development this season:
First off he started not giving a flying gently caress about the school shooting, while caring very much about his relationship to his wife, searching for a reason not in her mind but rather delegating it to her period.

Then he's one of the top fun makers in church, caring so much about making jokes that his life turns dull and dumb without it.

It is until episode 3 that he actually started to care about society problems and that merely because he found it a problem to post dog buttholes and vaping. The latter than turned into such a factor for him that he wants to turn his life around and start something new, having nothing but his hatred for vaping to drive him getting an assload of cannabis and using it to literally produce everything, while only once in the whole episode showing what he actually wants to do with it, being smoking it (and even then he merely uses a lit joint to set the Big Vape factories on fire).

Later on he continues that path and starts selling weed everywhere using the same shipping methods as Amazon, not seeing Amazon itself as the problem to a society, but at best as annoyance for his weed business and even that actually only took place without Amazon due to the strike. Until they all got high as a kite and stood up against Bezos.

Randy doesn't care about anything at all during the whole season, driving pessimism up on a society level, while having a blast in his personal life and only caring about that. Well, and his tegridy obviously, even though that doesn't really stand for anything at this point, seeing that he even completely loses his chill and his belief in a calm life on the farm and with it his pseudo accent whenever he's getting mad about vaping; by the way something that even that Vape boss points out in episode 3.

It's a generally new approach South Park takes here, bringing a new feeling of negative emotions up, reacting to the world not giving a crap and drawing a very dark picture of the society as such, while still having jokes and fun around. And after all, it kinda does have a happy end, so maybe not everything is lost. Atleast as long as we all smoke pot like a chimney.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 3, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Season 23 is right around the corner, with the first episode airing September 25th, or whatever, gently caress you, etc.

Are we keeping this one going or starting a new one for that new thread smell?

Season trailer should be out on Sunday, I guess

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

New thread.

I'm curious, the creators have felt so completely out of gas ever since Trump won, I wonder what they've got for us now.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Matt and Trey seem like they are ready to go for the new season.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/as-south-park-gets-renewed-2022-matt-stone-trey-parker-have-new-movie-ideas-1238778

And I like there is one comedy show that is trying to find humor besides the same Trump jokes everyone has already done.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

But they voted for Trump. Look inside your heart. You know it is true.
I really doubt they did - even for guys as cynical as they are, voting for a shameless grifter like Trump would seem to be counter to their ethos imo. They've said in interviews how surreal his election has been and not just in the context of writing the show becoming more difficult.

That said, they likely didn't vote for Hillary either, as they're obviously not huge fans. I'd be surprised if they didn't vote for Gary Johnson.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

sticksy posted:

I really doubt they did - even for guys as cynical as they are, voting for a shameless grifter like Trump would seem to be counter to their ethos imo. They've said in interviews how surreal his election has been and not just in the context of writing the show becoming more difficult.

That said, they likely didn't vote for Hillary either, as they're obviously not huge fans. I'd be surprised if they didn't vote for Gary Johnson.

It's really easy to read pretty much whatever you want into their political views, people have been doing that since day one.

they're obviously not huge fans

I disagree with this part, I could see them voting HRC.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's crazy they are hitting the 300 episodes this season. Would be nice if they tried to do something special (maybe more along the lines of the 100th episode than the funny but banned 200...)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's really easy to read pretty much whatever you want into their political views, people have been doing that since day one.

they're obviously not huge fans

I disagree with this part, I could see them voting HRC.

I don’t know, they obviously thought HRC was going to win so I could easily see them being one of those idiots that cast protest votes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They probably didn't vote cause they were too busy making their Hillary wins arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don’t know, they obviously thought HRC was going to win so I could easily see them being one of those idiots that cast protest votes.

That does not make much sense. They were not huge fans of her, but made it clear they vastly prefered her to Trump. Combined with an episode that made it clear that they think you should vote even if you don't like either choice.