Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I get that Curling Canada wants to follow the WCF lead with regard to ties, but I will miss the bonus curling that we used to get with the tie breaker games. I miss them in baseball too.

Also, it speaks volumes that the teams leading the LSD scores (and by a very healthy margin) are Jones and Lawes, both of whom were burnt so significantly by that tiebreaking rule at the last Olympics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Antifreeze Head posted:

I get that Curling Canada wants to follow the WCF lead with regard to ties, but I will miss the bonus curling that we used to get with the tie breaker games. I miss them in baseball too.

Also, it speaks volumes that the teams leading the LSD scores (and by a very healthy margin) are Jones and Lawes, both of whom were burnt so significantly by that tiebreaking rule at the last Olympics.

Apparently Lawes could still qualify for the playoffs if everyone ends up at 4 and 4. And it's because she did so well in the LSD

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Duck Rodgers posted:

Apparently Lawes could still qualify for the playoffs if everyone ends up at 4 and 4. And it's because she did so well in the LSD

She did. In fact, all four Manitoba teams did.

https://www.curling.ca/scoreboard/#!/competitions/8765/standings/10311

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Duck Rodgers posted:

But really, her play calling looked a bit timid in the limited bits we got to see in the later parts of the week, though certainly more aggressive yesterday when it was all on the line.

Not sure if anyone caught that last draw, but the prolonged lingering on the conclusion of the Galusha/Jones game was great. I especially liked when Kerry told Jennifer "Don't play like that tomorrow."

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Watching this coverage without knowing the whos-who of womens curling in Canada is difficult. So many asides referring to teams by skips, leads, 2nds, home towns, etc. when the leader board is by region and skip name.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Antifreeze Head posted:

But really, her play calling looked a bit timid in the limited bits we got to see in the later parts of the week, though certainly more aggressive yesterday when it was all on the line.

Not sure if anyone caught that last draw, but the prolonged lingering on the conclusion of the Galusha/Jones game was great. I especially liked when Kerry told Jennifer "Don't play like that tomorrow."

Lawes beat my cousins team in the Manitoba finals, so she has to do well enough in the Scotties to justify beating family

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Gonna be a great final, Jones had a hell of an afternoon

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qwijib0 posted:

Gonna be a great final, Jones had a hell of an afternoon

Opening the semi with a double for five was a hell of a thing.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Opening the semi with a double for five was a hell of a thing.

Just like they drew it up :haw:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This final is tense as hell.

Great curling, shame about the mistakes, gotta feel sorry for anyone that happens to.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Kind of wild to see a stone get hogged in the finals, but what a weekend of games.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
What a final

Jones just couldn't dial it in

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

A perfect tournament for Homan, god drat.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Brier is on YT too :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6FYeuGE3e8

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Bonot? More like BoYES!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's been exciting to see some new names do so well

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Where's the morning stream?!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

Where's the morning stream?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsHQZv04rzo

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Qwijib0 posted:

video link

Well they took a few minutes!

Can't believe Bonot is on the outside of the playoffs looking in right now.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
He needs Dunstone to lose to Symonds out of Newfoundland and Labrador. Which is pretty unlikely.

He also needs to beat Yukon tonight, but that should be pretty doable.

Crazy happenings in the era of no tie breakers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I dunno if it's the fit of this year's jerseys but a lot of dudes look jacked.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So if Gushue loses he's out if NT wins. If PEI beats NT then it goes to the LSD results for 2nd and 3rd in the pool between AB, PEI, and CA?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
JAMIE!!!!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qwijib0 posted:

JAMIE!!!!

I love a good unvarnished reaction of absolutely not acting like you've been there before.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

AB-B/MB-C for 1st gonna be good tonight

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So with Bonot out, I guess Koe is my guy now.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Another couple of key missed shots for bottcher, just can't seem to close em out when they count.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

gret posted:

So if Gushue loses he's out if NT wins. If PEI beats NT then it goes to the LSD results for 2nd and 3rd in the pool between AB, PEI, and CA?

Gushue was out regardless of who won the other game. The head to head record is always considered before the LSD. The way the standings were at the time, it was win and you're in for both the Gushue/Sluchinski and the Koe/Smith game.

Had PEI won and Gushue lost, Smith would have been free and clear in second place at 6-2; no need for tie breakers. Third place would have been a tie between Gushue and Sluchinski with 5-3 records and Sluchinski would get the playoff position by way of having the head to head win over Team Canada.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Rooting for Dunstone this year. Koe would be a good story but I don't think he has it. A home win is always fun, and McEwen has been on the edge for so long.

Anyone but Bottcher really

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Holy poo poo these last four stones in the 5th end of SK vs MB-D are absolutely insane. Especially McEwan's last throw.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Especially McEwan's last throw.

He's on fire

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I feel so bad for McEwan. I want Saskatchewan to win.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, tough night for him.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:lol: that this all-star team is just Team Bottcher but with Mike McEwan instead of Bottcher.

I'm very new to paying attention to pro-curling but wtf went down with Bottcher and Darren Moulding? Cutting the dude the week before a brier in his hometown sure is a move.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Does anybody know if we'll be able to watch the World Championships in the US without needing to resort to shady IPTV providers or something?

PittTheElder posted:

:lol: that this all-star team is just Team Bottcher but with Mike McEwan instead of Bottcher.

I'm very new to paying attention to pro-curling but wtf went down with Bottcher and Darren Moulding? Cutting the dude the week before a brier in his hometown sure is a move.

I don't know if the "whole story" was ever made public but it seems like Bottcher cut Moulding because Moulding wanted to split the winnings among the team more evenly, and the official announcement from the team said that Moulding left for "personal reasons" and made it seem like he did it voluntarily.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Inspector_666 posted:

Does anybody know if we'll be able to watch the World Championships in the US without needing to resort to shady IPTV providers or something?

https://curlingchannel.tv

It's $20 for a pass to watch the Women's World Championship.

I'd go with the shady IPTV to watch TSN for the Team Canada games though. Apparently the production quality on Curling Channel is pretty bad.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
apparently WCF goofed the video contractor though https://old.reddit.com/r/Curling/comments/1bgcwd1/its_disappointing_that_this_is_the_best_the_wcf/

they may manage to fix it further on

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

drat this was nice.

https://x.com/TSNCurling/status/1770221671414177861?s=20

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

that's prettttttty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Geeeeeeez