Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Also it seems like using a measurement device with a second needle that sticks at peak would be helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Great game between Homan and Jones. We love to see it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

gret posted:

Great game between Homan and Jones. We love to see it.

The draws that Jones makes on the regular are just stunning.

EDIT: lmao are you kidding me that shot to end it was hilarious

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 21, 2023

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Woof, Alberta just hung a sixer on Quebec in the second end.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Maybe they should have been using those points in earlier draws rather than dumping them all on st-georges

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Alberta on a roll now

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Woo go Quebec!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Whoa. Nunavut gave up a 7-ender to Saskatchewan.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

gret posted:

Whoa. Nunavut gave up a 7-ender to Saskatchewan.

That's... a lot of rocks

And what a draw by Quebec in the evening draw to only give up a steal of 2.

Up by one with the even end hammer in the 8th not the worst position to be in

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 23, 2023

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Tonight's draw could get pretty wild as far as determining the final 2 playoff spots for Pool A. And good news for curling fans outside of Canada:

https://twitter.com/CurlingCanada/status/1628903714533806080?s=20

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

gret posted:

Tonight's draw could get pretty wild as far as determining the final 2 playoff spots for Pool A.

Such drama in store

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Jones is just killing it so far

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
This final so good so far

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I keep mixing up which teams have which stone color because Team Canada's wearing red and throwing yellow stones while Manitoba is wearing yellow and throwing red stones.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

gret posted:

I keep mixing up which teams have which stone color because Team Canada's wearing red and throwing yellow stones while Manitoba is wearing yellow and throwing red stones.

they've been doing this every drat game

they know

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

:argh:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
What a 9th

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I got a full-event package to the brier this year and I just assumed it would be some sort of pass.

Nope.

25 individual tickets :lol:

Luckily they don't make you leave between draws if you don't want to-- I guess they just assume there's very little risk of people gaming the system to sneak extras in.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Nice!

Look out. Nunavut has a great chance to win their first Brier game ever.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

As a former resident of the territory I gotta say, pretty cool to be able to watch that win

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is there anywhere you can watch this online?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

PittTheElder posted:

Is there anywhere you can watch this online?

If you’re in the US you can watch here: https://www.tsn.ca/live/curling-canada

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nah I'm in Canada, downloaded the app and even paid $20 for the month, only to discover that their coverage is atrocious. Have to watch all the endless tv ads, can't choose to watch games other than the main one, can't seem to watch the past draws (draw 2 is here but not 1?).

Staggering how much worse this is than CBCs coverage of the last Olympics.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Gotta say that trying to keep track of 4 games live at a time is really hard. I miss the top down house view and being able to hear the teams strategize

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Yeah, I went to the draw on Saturday evening and we sat really close on one side.

Bottcher is my favourite curler, so it was really cool to be like 15 feet away from him. But I'm surprised at how quiet everything was being that close. You really only hear anything when people are yelling. And yeah it's hard to keep track of 4 games and our view of the far end was blocked by cameras.

I kinda wonder whether getting seats up high is actually the better viewing experience in person, and being close is just kinda a novelty.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Yeah, I went to the draw on Saturday evening and we sat really close on one side.

Bottcher is my favourite curler, so it was really cool to be like 15 feet away from him. But I'm surprised at how quiet everything was being that close. You really only hear anything when people are yelling. And yeah it's hard to keep track of 4 games and our view of the far end was blocked by cameras.

I kinda wonder whether getting seats up high is actually the better viewing experience in person, and being close is just kinda a novelty.

The view from up high was really nice and I like that my assigned seats are there so I can use them but I was lamenting about only getting one perspective with one of the volunteers and he told me during the draws, nobody sits in assigned seats really so find an open one and take it so I might do a couple sheet-side

I also learned that TSN broadcasts the play by play on FM inside the arena, so I need to dig out a radio.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'd be really curious to see what it sounds like inside an arena that big. I actually love being the last sheet playing, just because of how eerie the acoustics of delivery are in an empty rink, but the effect is probably different when it's not just a big rectangular box.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
This is a heck of a game between wc1 and Canada. Wild 5th with the amazing takeouts and then short stones

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I got to meet slider

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

drat I thought Dunstone was done after Koe scored that 4.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah, really rough night for him with the newly-surfaced rocks

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wait did they re scratch the rocks mid tournament? That seems unwise.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
They were not curling _at all_ for the first couple days, and they couldn't fix it with ice changes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hah well that'd do it I guess. I did notice that they were giving rather narrow ice on hits, but the draws looked pretty typical? I assumed the hits were them just throwing much faster than me :v:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Koe v Koe is pretty good!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I thing I just learned but is obvious in hindsight is that pebble wears differently in arenas vs a club-- because you're at the mercy of temperature/humidity gradients that are kind of outside your control-- so the underlying ice is thinner to maintain a consistent temperature. This means, however, that you can't remove too much once play has started because re-flooding isn't an option-- so more often than not there'll be a rock resurfacing midway through a major tournament to ensure the rocks stay curlable to the very end rather than more aggressive ice resurfacing.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
As a member of the only club in the US that curls exclusively on outdoor ice, all of the talk about ice consistency is amazing, I hope one day to experience it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there a pic of your sheets? Sounds neat

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Can't believe Sturmay just hit McEwen's rock into the rings. Hope that doesn't cost them the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Liked that we got a nice loud f-bomb from the Ontario sweeper there.

Qwijib0 posted:

Is there a pic of your sheets? Sounds neat

Oh it's just a hockey rink with 8 houses sunk in (we draw on the 5th sheet with a wooden jig and permanent markers.)

We like to talk a lot of poo poo about it but when the weather's nice it is actually a pretty rad experience even if the ice is always tilted crazily.

Then sometimes it's raining and...

https://twitter.com/CurlBklyn/status/1618429097675460609?s=20

EDIT: Hey I think that's me all the way in the background teaching a Try Curling class, we ended up having to just throw across the short way from the opposite side because there was so much standing water it was outright dangerous.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 10, 2023